brake squeak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > brake squeak

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
kevincw01
2008 WK 

brake squeak

Wife mentioned the brakes are squeaking consistently and I drove it and confirmed. I got all set to do the job and the brakes don't look worn to me. I took some pics of the driver's side front and rear (passenger side is same wear). Rear has more wear but the indicator doesn't seem to be close to the rotor. what do you think?

front and rear driver's side brake pics

kevincw01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
modernblueWK

Mine have 50% left front and back. They squeak too.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Budasac
2005 WK 

Sometimes brakes just squeak. I have slotted rotors, so if mine do start to squeak I can usually remedy it by getting out on the highway and simply braking hard. The slots in the rotors will cut the surface of the pad and remove any glaze. If it really bugs you (or in this case, your wife), you could try pulling the rotors and scuffing both sides with some sand paper, as well as the pads. (I just use an orbital sander cause I'm lazy). Clean it all up with some brake cleaner and re-install. It's worked for me in the past and doesn't cost anything but a little time.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
OhFiveHemi
2005 WK 

I have the same issue. Pads are a few months old so next chance i get (camping for the weekend) im gonna pull off the wheel and sand the pads.
Blue WK Club Member #41

... | `05 WK - HEMI - QDII - Mods | ... | `07 XK - 3.7L - Stock | ...
OhFiveHemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
rashan5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Sometimes brakes just squeak. I have slotted rotors, so if mine do start to squeak I can usually remedy it by getting out on the highway and simply braking hard. The slots in the rotors will cut the surface of the pad and remove any glaze. If it really bugs you (or in this case, your wife), you could try pulling the rotors and scuffing both sides with some sand paper, as well as the pads. (I just use an orbital sander cause I'm lazy). Clean it all up with some brake cleaner and re-install. It's worked for me in the past and doesn't cost anything but a little time.
Cost nothing but the price of the sand paper. haha. But I have the same problem I need to try this because the squeaking is driving me crazyy
rashan5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Not as cheap as sandpaper but you can get brake anti-squeal at the parts store for under 10 bucks - works pretty good in my experience.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Derbi1964

Sanding pads and rotors is a good and economic solution but temporary. The basic problem of the pads is the difficulty of getting good quality at decent prices. I have had a good experience using a pad made ​​in the USA, yes, in USA from scratch. I use it in my Grand Cherokee 2007, and in my Chevy Tahoe 2004. Never squeak, stop on a dime and generate little dust. There was no need to break-in process. This manufacturer has a short time in the market but have a great product. Not know if I can say the brand. I bough it just to support American Made product but I was pleasantly surprised. I repeat, there are NOT only assembled and packaged in the USA, they are MANUFACTURED IN USA. Of course the cost is higher than chinese pads, but not as high as the performance brakes and works great at high and low temperatures, ideal for highways and rural roads.
Derbi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
modernblueWK

You can say the brand.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Derbi1964

Besser Brake Pads, www.besserbp.com
Derbi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brake pads , brakes , squeak , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.