Brake Rotor Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Brake Rotor Question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
JackB1
2008 WK 

Brake Rotor Question

Assuming one is planning on changing their brake pads for no other reason than they think it is time [around 70K]. Brakes are operating fine with no shimmy or any other issue. Should the rotors be changed as well?

JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

I always do unless it's a beater car that I'm just milking out...

I'd leave the brakes alone unless they're getting thin or having some other issue.
Unread 02-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Assuming one is planning on changing their brake pads for no other reason than they think it is time [around 70K]. Brakes are operating fine with no shimmy or any other issue. Should the rotors be changed as well?
They will need to be machined(turned) to have a flat and fresh surface for the new pads if they are thick enough to be machined still.With the cost of that new rotors are not that much more.
Unread 02-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

They will need to be machined(turned) to have a flat and fresh surface for the new pads if they are thick enough to be machined still.With the cost of that new rotors are not that much more.
Agree as far as needing turned for a good pad contact, but turned rotors are definitely cheaper than new.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
JackB1
2008 WK 

I am not a fan of turning rotors. It takes off metal makes the rotors thinner and more of a possibility to heat up and warp. On the other hand many rotors look extremely smooth if the brakes have been used properly and it made me wonder what the risk was of leaving them alone when installing new pads.
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.