Brake Pads That Don't Make Noise? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Brake Pads That Don't Make Noise?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
JRLT
2010 WK 

2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
jstand22
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1pf View Post
I have Raybestos PGPlus on all four corners, dead quiet.

squeaky pads are often due to missing/incorrect application of grease on the back of the pads.

Very true...many people don't realize this. The pads themselves do not make noise...it comes from the reverberations of the shims and other hardware. The matieral of the pads can affect the pitch or frequency of those vibrations, but the number one cause for squeaky brakes is installation errors or carelessness.

'05 Grand Cherokee 4.7
'01 Grand Cherokee 4.0
'87 Porsche 944S
jstand22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #18
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So today the squealing is back with a vengeance. After taking the calipers, pads, and rotors off, and reinstalling, there was little change. The pads are practically new so I don't want to throw them away. I guess my last ditch effort is going to have to be new rotors. I could probably get the ones I have resurfaces, as they are pretty meaty. Thanks for all the input.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
oneunder
2006 WK 

Try this stuff?
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #20
oilverland
2008 WK 

That's the stuff I used, and it did the trick.
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
oneunder
2006 WK 

Yup. And the key to that stuff is to let it get dry to tacky on the pad before installing the pad in the caliper. Whenever I rush the job and let it dry out a bit, the brakes squeal like a pig.
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #22
DuffDaddy
2007 WK 

Noise is from pad compound, rotor surface and alignment of the 2. If you want zero noise look at BMW, super super soft pad, amazing performance but significant dust. This is the trade off. Most of the time its a balance from pad life (more dust shorter/less dust longer) noise (less noise shorter life/more noise longer life) and Performance.

Now just remember mopar offers our brakes as "kits" normally front pads/rotors for 210.00 isnt bad especially when you consider the pads have a LIFETIME warranty, rotors dont but the pads do. That was for the Value line kit. They also have "make it new" "make it original" and "make it ceramic" kits available, all which cost more and dont carry the same limited lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps.
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
Pyroman_28
2006 WK 

ceramic is the way to go. have them on the wk and my work van and both are silent now and practically dust free and stop even better then before. got em off ebay for $70 for all 4 wheels.
Unread 09-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman_28 View Post
ceramic is the way to go. have them on the wk and my work van and both are silent now and practically dust free and stop even better then before. got em off ebay for $70 for all 4 wheels.
If you tow you do not want ceramic pads.I've seen ceramics make alot more noise then semi-metallics by far.
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
Pyroman_28
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

If you tow you do not want ceramic pads.I've seen ceramics make alot more noise then semi-metallics by far.
Ive towed cars on trailers loaded with parts for a couple hundred miles on several occasions but maybe I'm just lucky..
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #26
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman_28 View Post
Ive towed cars on trailers loaded with parts for a couple hundred miles on several occasions but maybe I'm just lucky..
You'd have betetr braking when towing with quality semi-metallics.

Wonder why it's almost impossible to find ceramics for 3/4-1 tones pickups? Ceramic pads are not recommended for towing.They retain heat to much where as semi-metallics will shed heat much faster and work at lower temps better then ceramics.
Unread 09-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #27
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Guys -

I won't be doing any towing - so I may go with ceramics. I used the disc brake quiet on all the pads. It definitely helped - somewhat, but the squealing is still there. One interesting thing I ran into. When pulling the rear brake pads, the passanger side rear inner pad did not have a clip attached to the pad (that is held in the piston). It looks like it broke off, but if it had broke, the clip should have still be stuck inside of the piston. Well, it wasn't. I have no idea who put those pads on, but im wondering if that isn't causing a ton of vibration. The parts store was closed yesterday when I pulled them, so I just put it back on. I'm not worried about braking, etc. becasue the caliper and the brackets hold the pads fine, but maybe that is causing excessive vibration?
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.