Brake Pads That Don't Make Noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Brake Pads That Don't Make Noise?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Brake Pads That Don't Make Noise?

Hi Guys,

Picked up an 06 WK 5.7L hemi last night. So far I love it. One small problem - the brakes squeal like no other! PO said he had bought some new pads at AZ and put those on and the squeaking started. Dont know what he put on. Which pads to you guys suggest? Thanks!

jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett View Post
Hi Guys,

Picked up an 06 WK 5.7L hemi last night. So far I love it. One small problem - the brakes squeal like no other! PO said he had bought some new pads at AZ and put those on and the squeaking started. Dont know what he put on. Which pads to you guys suggest? Thanks!
Absolutely no noise with Raybestos Advanced Techology pads/rotors on the rear. Have about 10,000 miles so far. (Rock Auto did well by me on the price and service.)

Fronts are factory OEM and occasionally squeal on cold start as I back slowly out of the garage. However, they have so much meat left on the pads and the rotors have not warped, so I'm not replacing them yet: 88,000 miles so far.

Think I read somewhere that the factory WK front pads are ceramic and the rear pads are semi-metallic. I know that the MOPAR factory grade pads are hugely expensive and the "Value Line" are the next grade downward, but are still high-priced.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it........ Hope this helps.

BTW: Born East Falls / Manayunk; raised Upper Darby; lived in Willingboro, Morrisville & Yardley...........
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
oneunder
2006 WK 

I have the Hawk Performance Ceramic at all for corners. Not a peep from those things. Plus, the jeep stops like a go kart with a parachute.
Unread 09-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

I have Raybestos PGPlus on all four corners, dead quiet.

squeaky pads are often due to missing/incorrect application of grease on the back of the pads.
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
oilverland
2008 WK 

My rig came used with squeaky brakes. I think they are oem. So I used disk brake anti-squeal compond on all metal to metal contact points, which requires taking the calipers off and the pads out. Even did those little stainless steel shims that the calipers float on. Took care of the problem - might squeak now once every few months.
Unread 09-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
musicpuppy
2002 WJ 

OH yes I agree, ceramic is the way to go, quite and less dust.
musicpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replays. I haven't pulled the wheels yet to inspect the current pads. If there is still a good deal of friction material on the pads,I'd rather not replace them. I may try going the greasing route to see if it quiets down. Weirdest thing - no squeaking when I test drove it or on the hour ride home after I bought it. This morning, left for work and it sounds like a damn train coming to a stop whenever I brake. Thanks!
Unread 09-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

well, um, my usual method is new pads and rotors correctly installed.

But I'm a "just fix it right" kind of guy, I don't have a lot of time to eff around with half-solutions.

If you yank the pads, fix/grease the backing, yadda yadda, and reinstall them - they won't re-bed because they are not where the pads used to be.. so you'll have to wear a new set of grooves in the pad surfaces.

I'd just go get a new set of everything Raybestos from rockauto, install it correctly, and go get your Jeep dirty. Just MHO.

...tom
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

There are zero brake pads made today that do not make noise.To keep them from making noise a proper job and proper bedding must be done 1st.All pads can make noise,from the cheap ones to the most expensive ones.Just because they make some noise does not mean there is a problem,some automakers actually have TSB's for brake noises stating try this if noise is still there it's 100% normal.
Unread 09-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
JRLT
2010 WK 

Plus, if you use grease, it'll dry out over time because of the heat. Silicone paste wont.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #11
LouC
2007 WK 

With both of my Jeeps the 98 and 07 I have found the OE pads to be the quietest. Never a squeak with the OE pads on the ZJ and the WK. I just did the pads on the WK at 50,000 miles. The ZJ I tried a set of Wagner Thermoquiets (I liked the Wagner rotors, they stopped the chronic ZJ rotor warp issue years ago, its only on its second set at 142000 miles) and they squeak for the first stop when cold but do not make noise after that and stop better than the OE did.
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, the pads on the front have well over 1/2" of material left. They are Duralast pads (AZ) but I can't tell which part #. They look like they lowest end ones at AZ (which are not ceramic). I'm wondering if just getting some ceramic ones will quiet it down. The rotors are definitely shiny and grooved.
Unread 09-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett View Post
Yea, the pads on the front have well over 1/2" of material left. They are Duralast pads (AZ) but I can't tell which part #. They look like they lowest end ones at AZ (which are not ceramic). I'm wondering if just getting some ceramic ones will quiet it down. The rotors are definitely shiny and grooved.
Replace the rotors also with a high quality ones,Centric Premium rotors or Napa Premiums are good.Ceramic pads just create a little less dust,semi-metallics are actually better and don't hold heat as bad a ceramic pads do.
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
S197GT
2005 WK 

been fighting a front left squeal myself.

when i bought the jeep late last year the dealership put on brand new rotors (unknown brand).

ordered hawk LTS (semi-metallic) and it developed the squeal.

took off pads and put anti-squeal junk on the back of them.

no luck.

switched pads on the left to the right and vice versa.

attempted to re-bed the pads.

no luck.

after bedding the pads the squeak goes away briefly but eventually comes back.

gonna try switching the rotors from right to left and vice versa and if that doesn't work...

i don't know. maybe hawk ceramics. maybe try a different brand of rotors. i really like the bite of the hawk LTS, but they dust bad (worse than HPS i've used on my mustang).
S197GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea it is frustrating. I pulled both passenger side wheels and pulled the pads and greased back of the pads, the retaining clip, tops/bottoms of the pads where they go into clips, and it got better, but the squeal is still there at times.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.