BoraBora build thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > BoraBora build thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #121
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Well the mud came up to the top of my tires I was flinging mud everywhere and realized I wasn't going anywhere. Stopped panicking, hit the brakes, turned ESP off, and applied a little throttle and then floored it and I was out....nerve recking!

Build Thread
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #122
blackitout
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
Well the mud came up to the top of my tires I was flinging mud everywhere and realized I wasn't going anywhere. Stopped panicking, hit the brakes, turned ESP off, and applied a little throttle and then floored it and I was out....nerve recking!
I've been curious...how much does turning off esp help? Does the braking diff work well?
blackitout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #123
BoraBora

2006 WK 

That was the first time I used it. Before I turned it off I was STUCK, just flinging mud around and digging deeper. Turned it off and I was good...so looks like it works well!

Build Thread
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #124
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackitout
I've been curious...how much does turning off esp help? Does the braking diff work well?
Not sure of the link will work:
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Essentially, turning ESP off gives as much power to the wheels as possible. With it on, the loss of traction in the mud would confuse the Jeep's computer and it would think it's slipping while traveling.

As an example, on QTII and QDII Jeeps, when in 4LO the ESP turns off automatically because the stresses the driver is likely to encounter over the terrain where 4LO is needed.

It doesn't substitute for locking diffs however, so us QT I and II guys still have to deal with power transfer between rear axle - front axle - or both axles — which can cause loss of power/traction versus those with locking diffs.
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #125
blackitout
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321Nick View Post
Not sure of the link will work: Video Link: http://youtu.be/j0ZduTWErHQ

Essentially, turning ESP off gives as much power to the wheels as possible. With it on, the loss of traction in the mud would confuse the Jeep's computer and it would think it's slipping while traveling.

As an example, on QTII and QDII Jeeps, when in 4LO the ESP turns off automatically because the stresses the driver is likely to encounter over the terrain where 4LO is needed.

It doesn't substitute for locking diffs however, so us QT I and II guys still have to deal with power transfer between rear axle - front axle - or both axles — which can cause loss of power/traction versus those with locking diffs.
Thanks for the Video Nick. I'm familiar with ESP however I haven't seen any videos of qt1 people in a sticky situation with it on then turned off. One of us should make one of those. I've looked all over YouTube and haven't found on vs off when off roading. In theory it sounds good. I've turned it off on a muddy bumpy dirt road and it's seemed to help a lot.
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #126
Hemily_GC
2005 WK 

Nice build Man! Love the look of your Jeep. About that Rusty Polly Spacer did you special order it??? I checked there website and found a 2inch but no 1.5. Also how are you liking those Duratracs??
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #127
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemily_GC View Post
Nice build Man! Love the look of your Jeep. About that Rusty Polly Spacer did you special order it??? I checked there website and found a 2inch but no 1.5. Also how are you liking those Duratracs??
The single rear 2" poly spacer from rusty's yields 1.5" of lift when you use it to replace the lower rear spring isolater.
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #128
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemily_GC View Post
Thanks man! And what 0321Nick said...when it's used in place of the coil isolator it comes out to 1.5". The Duratracs are awesome. They've exceeded my expectations. Pulled me out of the mud when I thought I was done for, never slip in the snow or ice, and are extremely quiet.

Build Thread
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:57 AM   #129
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Build Thread
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #130
blackitout
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Looking good. Those lights look great.
Unread 02-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #131
BoraBora

2006 WK 

It was finally warm enough yesterday to do some install work haha thanks. I'm running out of ideas for mods. Next on my list is: floor matts, and window tint. Not sure what to do after...?

Build Thread
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #132
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora
It was finally warm enough yesterday to do some install work haha thanks. I'm running out of ideas for mods. Next on my list is: floor matts, and window tint. Not sure what to do after...?
I preordered the hidden winch mount from Steel Armadillo.
KHAKI CLUB #65
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #133
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Time for extra underside armor!
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #134
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Yeah I want a winch I just can't afford that set up at the moment.

On another note, I want to order a light switch panel, but where are you guys getting those custom switches that say "roof lights" and "rock lights" and "seat eject" ??

Build Thread
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #135
Anon155
2005 WK 

You can pick up the switches from Otrattw.com, they have a lot of options on their website or you can custom order over the phone. Check out their Facebook page, they post their newest designs on there.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.