BoraBora build thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > BoraBora build thread

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #76
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321Nick View Post
Did it get keyed while rocking Old Glory?
Indeed it did. Which is what leads me to believe that it may be why it was keyed. Maybe it was "too nationalistic" for someones taste?

Build Thread
BoraBora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #77
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora
Indeed it did. Which is what leads me to believe that it may be why it was keyed. Maybe it was "too nationalistic" for someones taste?
F 'em.
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #78
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

Quote:
F 'em.
I'd leave the scratches in it if it was keyed because of the Stars and Stripes.
Tcolin2351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #79
K9SAR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
F 'em.
'06 Overland 5.7 Hemi / QDII / Silver WK Member #59, LED Backup lights, AEV Argent Pintlers, Floor liners. Gibson 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust, 6" Hybrid Superlift / OME lift, 6" JBA rear springs, JBA UCA's, 35x12.5/17 Goodyear MTR's, Steel Armadillo Rock Sliders, 4xGuard Bash Plates
K9SAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #80
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Updates updates! Black housing lights in. Also forgot to update I got the brand new Duratracs mounted.

Build Thread
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #81
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Lookin good! Where did you get the headlights from??
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #82
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
Lookin good! Where did you get the headlights from??
eBay! $150 with free shipping. Installed them with the bumper still on too (huge pain in the butt).

Build Thread
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #83
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
eBay! $150 with free shipping. Installed them with the bumper still on too (huge pain in the butt).
What brand are they?
Unread 11-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #84
origin
2009 WK 

Quote:
Updates updates! Black housing lights in. Also forgot to update I got the brand new Duratracs mounted.
Have you noticed a drop in power going to the 285's?
origin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #85
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJeep View Post
What brand are they?
No idea, they didn't specify. Really good quality though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by origin View Post
Have you noticed a drop in power going to the 285's?
Nothing terrible. It's a bit slower accelerating, however I still have passing power. In fact I just made a trip this weekend and passed a few cars going 80.

Build Thread
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #86
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Rola roof rack with 4 Hella lights mounted to it?

Can someone with a Rola answer some of my questions? I heard you have to seal the connection points when putting the rack together to avoid rusting? Also how would you mount lights to it?

Build Thread
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #87
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Rola roof rack with 4 Hella lights mounted to it?

Can someone with a Rola answer some of my questions? I heard you have to seal the connection points when putting the rack together to avoid rusting? Also how would you mount lights to it?
Why not go with a light bar? Less power is needed and it would be a lot brighter than the Hella's unless you plan to put some HID's in.

You'll need to seal the Rola with something or water will get in there and drip rusty gunk all over the top of your jeep. I used some black silicone on the seams and screw holes, and then wrapped black electrical tape very tightly around the seam just in case. You hardly notice it unless you're looking for it. Never had a problem with the rust. Just touch up the rack up with some flat black paint or bed liner every few months and you should be good to go with any rust issues.

A lot of different companies make mounts. I'd get something as low profile as possible. I used these brackets for both my light bar and reverse lights. Kind of bulky, but they are sturdy and I got them for a lot cheaper, like 30 bucks a pair if I remember right. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-2-tube-O...-/380239007551
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #88
BoraBora

2006 WK 

I really want an LED light bar, however, I just don't have the money for one and can't justify the price tags on them.

So I should silicone or epoxy the seams shut? Okay that sounds pretty easy. Touching up the rack every few months? Does it really get that weathered? It seems like such a pain to respray every few months.

Build Thread
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #89
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
I really want an LED light bar, however, I just don't have the money for one and can't justify the price tags on them.

So I should silicone or epoxy the seams shut? Okay that sounds pretty easy. Touching up the rack every few months? Does it really get that weathered? It seems like such a pain to respray every few months.
Yeap! I'd use silicone, it can be painted and there's a bit of a gap at the seam. Idk if epoxy would cover it.

The whole rack doesn't need to be resprayed every few months. The powder coat has held up good on it. But the rack doesn't have the cleanest welding job.....The welds tend to show rust over time. I constantly have stuff up there on trips, so it gets beat up and scratched over the summer. I use a small paint brush and flat black paint to touch up where it gets scratched before winter. I've had it for 2 years and it still looks brand new. You could prevent the rust all together by spraying bed liner all over it. I know Jay did that to his with herculiner I believe.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #90
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora
I really want an LED light bar, however, I just don't have the money for one and can't justify the price tags on them. So I should silicone or epoxy the seams shut? Okay that sounds pretty easy. Touching up the rack every few months? Does it really get that weathered? It seems like such a pain to respray every few months.
Try Crawl Off Road. I found a decently priced LED bar on there. crawloffroad.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.