Bobby's Overland Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Bobby's Overland Build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 10-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
bobbylx
2008 WK 

Bobby's Overland Build

Well, just a warning, this is going to be a slow process.

So..had a few Jeeps over the last few years, but my most recent DD/project was a 1987 Cherokee Wagoneer. After quite a lot of work and money I was finally getting to a point where I wanted to start painting. Well, last week driving home from work it started pinging/tapping very loudly. After a thorough check I found I had a cracked piston skirt, chunks of piston in my oil pan. So at that point I decided I was done with that project. (FYI, if anyone cares my build is over at cherokee forum, not sure about the link policy, will remove if i need to, http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/bob...-build-165856/

Fast forward to this week. I picked up a 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4. It's got the 5.7 Hemi and as the overland name suggests, it's got all the bells and whistles except the DVD player (which is fine with me) and 134k miles.

My plans for the foreseeable future are to get a lift and some new wheels'/tires. I'll also be performing some of the cheaper mods I've seen on here. As soon as I sell off the 1987 I'll be shopping for the lift, and hope to pick up some Rubicon take offs or similar from craigslist. Here's some pics for now.

bobbylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Amazing how much nicer the 08 looks than the 05

Well, let me clarify. Your 08 Overland is much more "plush" than my 05 Limited. Maybe I'm bitter because I have the VES nav and not the mygig...

Either way, welcome the the big brother club!
2005 WK Limited 5.7 ORT | OME HD | Saguaro Front Winch Bumper| Warn Zeon 10s | 17" Moabs w custom powder coat | 265/70/17 BFG TA KO | 1.5" Spidertrax | AIRAID CAI | Gibson 3" Exhaust | DiabloSport Intune | XD 5000K HIDs | JL Stealthbox w A1300 Amp | Valentine 1

WANTED (PM if Selling): Gobi Roof Rack, 4XG Armor, MyGig RHR & Lockpick, Catch Can, Rear Diff Cover, Weathertechs / Quadratec Mats
ttusqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
bobbylx
2008 WK 

Thanks for the welcome.
Yes, this is by far the most comfortable vehicle I've owned. I figured I've been driving project vehicles for close to 20 years, so now it's time to drive one that doesn't need mechanical work/paint/etc and just focus on lift, tires, winch, etc, you know the good stuff.
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Clirry
2014 WK 

Just read throughly your wagoneer project. Glad you stay in jeep family as well. Looking forward to see your new project...
Unread 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
bobbylx
2008 WK 

As promised, this project will be moving pretty slowly. Did a tune up on it this weekend. Found 2 plugs that were barely in, oil filter torqued to 500 ft/lbs (kidding, just tight), and a nasty throttle body. Once she had fresh plug, oil, and a clean TB it was running like a champ.

Now for a question. Anyone use these 18" Overland wheels after they have lifted their WK? I'm looking to go with a OME or something similar fairly soon but not sure what I want to do with the wheels. I haven't seen anyone put offroad tires on these wheels, so I'm not sure what they'll look like.

My plan is to also start de-chroming, which may include the wheels. I plan to cover all the body chrome with Anthracite Plasti Dip. Maybe plasti dipped, with spacers and more aggressive tires the wheels won't look bad?
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
bobbylx
2008 WK 

Again, slowly making progress. Found a heck of a deal on some JK Moabs on CL so I snatched those up and some parts store spacers. I have some auctions ending soon so hopefully a bit of a lift and some real spacers in the near future. The Goodyears on the JK wheels are going to have to do for now.

Unread 10-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Good lookin jeep! Digging the color! Can't wait to see how It turns out over time
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Megs_Revenge
SUV Enthusiast

2005 WK 

Love the 08+ interior! Are you going to plastidip your wheels in the anthracite color as well? I have a set of the same wheels to eventually go on mine in the spring when I have cash for tires. I want to do the anthracite and will be eager to see what yours look like with it, if that's the case. Although, mine's silver so it'll look a bit different.

Good luck with the WK! If you ever want to switch out those projectors for something else, I may be able to take them off your hands for you... *wink wink*

Silver WK club #69

Oo|||||||oO
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_Revenge View Post
Love the 08+ interior! Are you going to plastidip your wheels in the anthracite color as well? I have a set of the same wheels to eventually go on mine in the spring when I have cash for tires. I want to do the anthracite and will be eager to see what yours look like with it, if that's the case. Although, mine's silver so it'll look a bit different.

Good luck with the WK! If you ever want to switch out those projectors for something else, I may be able to take them off your hands for you... *wink wink*
Mine is silver as well. I have powder coated my Moabs black, but I am thinking about whether to do black or anthracite plastidip on the emblems, grill, and window/door moldings. Which one of us is going to be the guinea pig?
2005 WK Limited 5.7 ORT | OME HD | Saguaro Front Winch Bumper| Warn Zeon 10s | 17" Moabs w custom powder coat | 265/70/17 BFG TA KO | 1.5" Spidertrax | AIRAID CAI | Gibson 3" Exhaust | DiabloSport Intune | XD 5000K HIDs | JL Stealthbox w A1300 Amp | Valentine 1

WANTED (PM if Selling): Gobi Roof Rack, 4XG Armor, MyGig RHR & Lockpick, Catch Can, Rear Diff Cover, Weathertechs / Quadratec Mats
ttusqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
bobbylx
2008 WK 

Well, I'll definitely be doing all the chrome body trim with the anthracite. I'm undecided on the wheels right now. I may go ahead and order the anthracite plasti dip in the next week or so. I've got the regular gray plasti dip but I haven't tried it yet. I don't think it will look as good.
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
bobbylx
2008 WK 

Just a small update for now, I had to update with something so I do forget about my thread . My wife picked up a Flashpaq 3875 for me at christmas. That thing has been great!! I finally turned off the awful TPMS warning and with the 87 tune I've increased my fuel mileage by about 1.5 to 2 mpg.

Then just this saturday my RC 2 inch lift arrived. My long term plan is to go with a modified OME, but christmas wiped out my jeep fund for a few months. Hopefully I'll start ordering some more things late spring or early summer. I plan on using the next warm weekend and put on the RC lift. As time goes on i'll order up the OME stuff and a set of tires.

I'll post up some pics once I've install the lift.
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
bobbylx
2008 WK 

Well Sunday got up to 65* so it was perfect to work on the Jeep. Managed to get the RC lift on in about 4.5 hrs. It looks so much better already, I was getting tired of the soccer mom look. Now to keep my eyes on CL for some good AT or Mud terrain tires.

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 02-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
redwolf698
2004 WJ 

very nice. Make sure you give me the Jeep Wave, i'm in the obnoxious 04 Overland that has the NC Transmission stickers all over it. Or I may be stealthy in my wife 06 Overland...
Boat Drinks OffRoad Co-Founder
redwolf698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #14
pancake
2005 WK 

I might see y'all around too!! You can fin me in Raleigh or at Wrightsville, especially as it starts to warm up!!! 8)
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
bobbylx
2008 WK 

Nice, good to see some other local jeepers on here. I used to get a lot of waves in the Waggie, but no body gives any love to the WK.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.