Blender Door Question... Again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Blender Door Question... Again

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
rmcinti1

Blender Door Question... Again

Hey guys, I have a 2009 GC Laredo with single zone AC. I am having the issue of one side being cold and the other being not cold. I just want to know If I have dual blend doors or one door, as I have only one actuator. I have been looking to find how people have fixed this, and I see it is 1k at a dealer for a fix. Is there anyway to order a replacement part and do it myself?

rmcinti1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

First, welcome to the forum. Hope we can help you with some of your issues.

I am not familiar with the single zone system, but I'd imagine it has just one blend door. Both my Chrysler vehicles (LX and WK) have the dual zone system. I can calibrate each door with my Autel MaxiDas DS708, and have had to do it several times on both vehicles. Both always show an "excess travel" DTC, and always for the right hand door when they malfunction, although the systems in both always seem to work fine. Also, I only get these codes in the winter. In the summer, when it's A/C time, I've never gotten the code. The calibration process with my diagnostic tool takes maybe a minute to do. I can also manually operate the doors with the tool, so I can tell if they are actually working or not.

On yours, if you're not getting any codes (should check this first) for an inoperative door, it may just be a calibration issue too, but you should also get a code for that....probably a stored code and not one that lights up the dash. Mine never show up except when I do a complete scan of all systems and it pops up under the HVAC System. If I didn't check it with the tool, I'd never know the code was there. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Also FWIW, I'd exhaust all avenues before I took it to the stealer to get raped. For what they want for the fix you could purchase a computerized diagnostic tool (and then some), like I and a few others have done, and it'll also work on any vehicle you'll ever own that uses the OBDII CAN bus interface.....which today is everything.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
rmcinti1

Im not getting any codes, even if I try the reset the system thinks everything is ok. Would it be possible Jeep put double doors on all models to streamline production, they just make both doors do the same thing on a single zone? Can you buy replacement parts or is it something a dealer will not sell. Even if I had to buy the part I would save on labor costs.
Unread 07-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I suppose it's possible they have two blend doors that are controlled together. It would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint. I am pretty sure you can purchase parts for the system. I'd give some of the online Jeep/Chrysler vendors a call and see what they have to say. First, I'd do some in-depth troubleshooting (probably a fair amount of work) first, just to make sure something isn't stuck. If you can find an independent that has a similar diagnostic tool to the one I have, they may be able to manually operate the door(s) to make sure they are moving (or not moving) properly. I know when I run mine (I can set 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100% open) or do the calibration (calibrates all HVAC doors), I can hear them moving to each extremity.

I find it a little strange that you're not getting any codes and still having a malfunction?? Are you able to check "stored" and/or "historical" codes with your scanner? If there is a problem and there are dual blend doors, the areas I'd look first would be the right side blend door actuator (if bad you wouldn't have any control of anything on the right side, but would on the left side), the door itself binding, or perhaps a disconnected duct somewhere. It would also be helpful if you can get your hands on a Factory Service Manual. You'd probably be able to glean more information there than I can provide. Hope you find the problem. Just be patient and do lots of research and ask a lot of questions of anyone that might know about your system. My bet is that you'll figure it out, but maybe not will some work. IMO, better than spending mega bucks on something, especially if you can fix it yourself.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
rmcinti1

Scanner reveals no codes. When the temp control is rotated, I can see the blend door shaft rotating on the right hand side. Indicating to me that the single actuator is working. But I'm unable to determine; through all the research; if there is in fact two doors operating on one shaft for this yr/mdl. I have a reasonable portion of the dash cover panels removed and this ducting doesn't resemble anything that I can find online.
Unread 07-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
JackB1
2008 WK 

I am not saying you will find the answer in the attached thread but may find some hints. [also check links in this thread].
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ve-box-in-dash
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.