3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 157 Old 03-15-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
05BlackWK
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzkicker View Post
I like your build. I've been thinking about an adjustable track bar, but got some mixed reviews and horror stories when I asked. My 4" superlift has a bracket to relocate the stock track bar, so it should be fine, but my driveline bit the fuel tank skid. I've since cut out the skid plate where it interfered, so maybe I'm just done messing with it.

Since the horror stories all involved the threaded parts of the track bar stripping out and letting the axle go, I was thinking that if I got one, I'd get it adjusted where I wanted it, then have the ends welded. If it never moves, it shouldn't be able to strip. I imagine the issue is that it hammers back and forth on the threads until they wear down. It wouldn't take much of a weld to keep that from happening.

Of course some people had no trouble at all, but that's a pretty catastrophic item to have fail, since the first you know about it, your axle leaves.
I haven't heard anything about bad about the aftermarket Trac bars for the wks but yes that is scary lol. I'm still going to go through with it since someone pointed out how bad my ankle was shifted and somehow I never noticed. But I will definitely routinely check up on it and read more about it on the forums after hearing that lol. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 157 Old 03-15-2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
05BlackWK
2005 WK 

Garage
forumrunner_20170315_023142.jpg

Here is her current setup. Finally threw the lightbar that was originally up top down low so it looks more flush and got a roof light bar and some kcs to finish of all the switches I bought long ago. This was a recent trip to Grandfather Mountain in 20 weather and 25 mph winds!

While I was in that area I heard about a trail at Richland road and I wanted to go check it out but unfortunately I could not figure out exactly where the trailhead started and saw plenty of private property and no trespass signs so I decided it was a no go. Does anyone know where that trail starts? Would like to hit brown mountain and a couple of other trails on some of the trips I'm planning in the future and I would like for that to be a stop since it is so close to boone.
post #153 of 157 Old 03-18-2017, 02:54 AM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

What are you looking at to notice the axle is shifted? Are you measuring inside the fender or some other reference point? I'd like to see how mine is. I actually had a new stock track bar installed, hoping some of the fuel tank interference was just worn bushings. I don't know if it's better, but I had beaten the skid plate back into position (almost), and with the new track bar, it still bit it once I got offroad, so then I cut along the bottom and removed all that was bent.

FYI, mine seems to have a steel liner that is very snug to the plastic tank, which is under the larger skid plate. The end result is still some steel left covering the plastic. I'm contemplating epoxying some UHMWPE to that steel, large enough so the driveline can't catch an edge, so when it does bump that liner, it itsn't wearing into the steel. I'm going to check it after a few outings and see if it's wearing on the liner.

The superlift, by the way, comes with a module that lets you select tire size and gear ratio. It also comes with a very strong front differential skid plate. It requires some cutting and welding (and I think fabricating a strengthening plate). I had it installed by my local offroad shop due to health issues, so I only heard some comments on it. Steel armadillo makes some skid plates for that lift, so I bought the transmission and transfer case skid plates, which require a

07 WK 5.7 QD2
4" lift, 33X10" tires
Warn winch on an ARB front bumper

post #154 of 157 Old 03-18-2017, 02:59 AM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Oops, I left out that the transfer case skid plate requires a bracket because of the lift. I think they called it a cross member or something, but it was an option when selecting the skid plate. I checked it out on their site, but I had my local shop order all the stuff from them. I find that these sites are more responsive to a shop than an individual, and I like having somebody else deal with the phone calls and questions (they figured out I needed the bracket; I wouldn't have known).

07 WK 5.7 QD2
4" lift, 33X10" tires
Warn winch on an ARB front bumper
post #155 of 157 Old 03-18-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
05BlackWK
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzkicker View Post
What are you looking at to notice the axle is shifted? Are you measuring inside the fender or some other reference point? I'd like to see how mine is. I actually had a new stock track bar installed, hoping some of the fuel tank interference was just worn bushings. I don't know if it's better, but I had beaten the skid plate back into position (almost), and with the new track bar, it still bit it once I got offroad, so then I cut along the bottom and removed all that was bent.

FYI, mine seems to have a steel liner that is very snug to the plastic tank, which is under the larger skid plate. The end result is still some steel left covering the plastic. I'm contemplating epoxying some UHMWPE to that steel, large enough so the driveline can't catch an edge, so when it does bump that liner, it itsn't wearing into the steel. I'm going to check it after a few outings and see if it's wearing on the liner.

The superlift, by the way, comes with a module that lets you select tire size and gear ratio. It also comes with a very strong front differential skid plate. It requires some cutting and welding (and I think fabricating a strengthening plate). I had it installed by my local offroad shop due to health issues, so I only heard some comments on it. Steel armadillo makes some skid plates for that lift, so I bought the transmission and transfer case skid plates, which require a
I could just stand straight from the back and just eyeball how much it was shifted in the rear. Probably about and inch or so difference
azzkicker likes this.
post #156 of 157 Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 AM
hockeyref18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05BlackWK View Post
I got the idea of blacking out the jeep and just started going from there. I started with plasti dipping that ugly checkered grey interior. Plasti dipping on the interior turned out great and has held up very well.

I then went to tint my tail lights. I used a great walkthrough as seen here..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSKA...NwkyEjQEcOMx8f and they turned out great. only downside is that I cant see a damn thing when I back up at night.

I also plasti dipped all the emblems as well. I plan on removing them emblems in the future though.

I know I'm extremely late to this thread but I was wondering how it was to put that radio in the jeep. Was it as easy as disconnecting the old wires and putting them in the new radio? Thanks
post #157 of 157 Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
05BlackWK
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyref18 View Post

I know I'm extremely late to this thread but I was wondering how it was to put that radio in the jeep. Was it as easy as disconnecting the old wires and putting them in the new radio? Thanks
I honestly didn't do it a buddy if mine did it for me cause I was busy but it was really easy so I'm assuming so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.