Bilstein vs OME - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Bilstein vs OME

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Bilstein vs OME

Just wondering what the difference in performance is between the Bilstein struts/shocks vs the OME's? Any and all inputs are appreciated!

Theogriff15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

From my understanding, the bilstein's are a bit firmer and more road worthy and the OME's are the better off road shock. I can honestly say that I wish I had gone with the bilstein's over the OME's since I spend more time on road
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Thanks man, I went with the Bilsteins and they're on the way. I will spend 90% of my time on road so I'm glad I went with them
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
skrach77
2005 WK 

I have the bilsteins setup and wouldn't change it. The vast majority of my time is on the highway
skrach77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrach77 View Post
I have the bilsteins setup and wouldn't change it. The vast majority of my time is on the highway
What do you have for a lift to go with the bilsteins? And if you've gone off road how have they performed for you?
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I love my OMEs! They provide a more firm yet very controlled ride on and off road. The great thing about OME struts is their ability to handle and control weight. Once you start adding skids, winch, steel bumper, or whatever you want to add, the Bilsteins can feel a little floaty (at least that is the feedback I have received from others) where as the OMEs still feel very controlled. I have talked to guys who ran both and even though they ran/run the OMEs with their coils too, which add to the control, they felt the OMEs road better with additional weight over the Bilsteins. In the end it is all personal preference and is really up to your intended use!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ I agree with Omelet. I can't personally speak for the Bilsteins but they have plenty of great reviews. However, I can say my OME's ride and feel great. Over the past year I've put the Jeep to good use both on and off the road and I've added a fair amount of skids and the shocks/struts have been unaffected.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Hey guys thanks for the input I really appreciate the info! I went with the Bilsteins because after talking with Kolak (Nick) we decided that for the time being 90% of my time is on pavement and the highway. I may add the 4xGaurd front skid in the near future but until next summer the only plans are installing Bilsteins all around and the 2" daystar. And of course new tires (stuck between 265/275.) So hopefully with the lighter 3.7L the Bilsteins will perform great!
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
skrach77
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15

What do you have for a lift to go with the bilsteins? And if you've gone off road how have they performed for you?
I have the OME HD, and so far I have zero complaints. I would like to go bigger someday, but until I can bolt on 6", I'll stay right where I'm at. Offload- its exactly what I wanted. Handles the rough stuff great, flex's as much as I could ask an IFS to go (after discos up front, and debating the rears soon) and all while maintaining street manners. I love my setup
skrach77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
beber
2005 WK 

Whats the part number for the Bilsteins, I'm wanting to order a set up front. Thanks.
beber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beber View Post
Whats the part number for the Bilsteins, I'm wanting to order a set up front. Thanks.
Send Kolak a pm. He'll set you up with the right parts and a great price.

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head.

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Thanks for the inputs guys, still awaiting my Daystar from Kolak with the bilsteins. Depending on how I like it I may move up to the OME HD setup with the Bilstein shock/struts and then maybe when i have the time and effort again grab some OME struts/shocks.
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

You know it will take just as much effort to swap out the BB with OME coils as it will to do the whole OME kit. So if you plan to upgrade the coils you may as well do the struts too.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
You know it will take just as much effort to swap out the BB with OME coils as it will to do the whole OME kit. So if you plan to upgrade the coils you may as well do the struts too.
Good call man. Being only 17 I didn't have the biggest budget to mess around with so I would have like to get the full OME HD but it just wasn't in the cards. Hopefully next summer I can pick up the wholesetup and see what it can do, but for now I'm still waiting on my current setup to get installed. Dropped it off at 6:30 AM this morning and they still aren't done yet We'll see tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.