Bilstein 5100 series strut - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Bilstein 5100 series strut

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #121
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNMWK
Cool thank you. I have the OME HD 2inch lift with the superlift strut space right now rides real rough for me.. I was going to try the Bilstein 5100's at the 2inch setting with my stock springs. Long as I can clear the 35's I should be ok. as it sits now I have room to fit 37's. Does anyone see any issues I might run in to?? Thank you.
Do you have the Superlift kit or just the spacer?

Unread 11-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #122
BlackNMWK
2008 WK 

Yes I started with the Super Lift then did the mod to the 6inch OME up front and JB 6 inch springs with fox shocks out back. I happy with the height.. however I dont think I needed the OME HD springs. To stiff up front.. I hope that the Bilstein's with stock springs will be a lot better.. I going to put Bilstein's out back 31 inch extended..
BlackNMWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #123
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Is anyone running these on the 2" setting with their stock HEMI coils? If so what are your hub to fender measurements?
Unread 12-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #124
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Bump
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #125
Chadwi
2007 WK 

I installed my 5100's last weekend. I set the fronts at the .75 setting and stacked with a Rough Country lift. I am setting at 23" front and 22" rear, stock coils. I was at 18.5"and 20.5" stock. The front is about an inch higher than I hoped. I also installed the JBA upper control arms. I got my 285's installed, but the shop could not get enough camber. The lower arms are maxed out. I think I will cut the front coils to bring it down about an inch, then I should be able to finish the alignment. Does anybody know approximately how much coil to remove, to lower about an inch? My first impressions of the ride are very good, not harsh at all, the misses will appreciate that. When I picked the WK up last night the right rear TPMS was faulted. Hopefully it will reset after a few miles.

Thanks for everybody that posts here! It has helped a lot.
Chadwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #126
pancake
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwi
I installed my 5100's last weekend. I set the fronts at the .75 setting and stacked with a Rough Country lift. I am setting at 23" front and 22" rear, stock coils. I was at 18.5"and 20.5" stock. The front is about an inch higher than I hoped. I also installed the JBA upper control arms. I got my 285's installed, but the shop could not get enough camber. The lower arms are maxed out. I think I will cut the front coils to bring it down about an inch, then I should be able to finish the alignment. Does anybody know approximately how much coil to remove, to lower about an inch? My first impressions of the ride are very good, not harsh at all, the misses will appreciate that. When I picked the WK up last night the right rear TPMS was faulted. Hopefully it will reset after a few miles. Thanks for everybody that posts here! It has helped a lot.
Any pictures? I was thinking about going this route. Thanks
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #127
fredkiller
2008 WK 

Chadwi, I would remove the spacer before cutting the coil... I've got the CRD engine, and ARB bumper with a winch installed using the OME HD spring and 5100 struts up front and I'm sitting at ~22.5"... not sure what you are running, but I would expect you would see pretty close to the same? Or are you running stock springs still?
fredkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #128
Chadwi
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredkiller View Post
Chadwi, I would remove the spacer before cutting the coil... I've got the CRD engine, and ARB bumper with a winch installed using the OME HD spring and 5100 struts up front and I'm sitting at ~22.5"... not sure what you are running, but I would expect you would see pretty close to the same? Or are you running stock springs still?
I am running the stock springs. I ended up a lot higher than I thought I would.
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #129
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwi View Post
I am running the stock springs. I ended up a lot higher than I thought I would.
so take the 5100 down to 0"?
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #130
pancake
2005 WK 

You can't go lower than .75" on the 5100 (from what I thought)
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #131
Chadwi
2007 WK 

The 5100's have three settings, .75", 1.50" and 2.00". I believe I have them set at the .75" setting. Stacked with the 2" spacer I am at 4.5" of lift, which put me at 23" for ride height. I was at 18.5 stock with no extra weight on the front. I am going to remove the struts tonight, I should be good at it on the second go around I was kind of hurried on the install. I want to make sure they are set at the .75" setting.
Unread 12-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #132
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
The 5100's have three settings, .75", 1.50" and 2.00". I believe I have them set at the .75" setting. Stacked with the 2" spacer I am at 4.5" of lift, which put me at 23" for ride height. I was at 18.5 stock with no extra weight on the front. I am going to remove the struts tonight, I should be good at it on the second go around I was kind of hurried on the install. I want to make sure they are set at the .75" setting.
ahhh, boredom the ignorance i thought they had a 0 setting... well 23" is at the max for the front end. i guess to level her out you could throw a set of MLL in the rear
Unread 12-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #133
zc911

Quote:
I installed my 5100's last weekend. I set the fronts at the .75 setting and stacked with a Rough Country lift. I am setting at 23" front and 22" rear, stock coils. I was at 18.5"and 20.5" stock. The front is about an inch higher than I hoped. I also installed the JBA upper control arms. I got my 285's installed, but the shop could not get enough camber. The lower arms are maxed out. I think I will cut the front coils to bring it down about an inch, then I should be able to finish the alignment. Does anybody know approximately how much coil to remove, to lower about an inch? My first impressions of the ride are very good, not harsh at all, the misses will appreciate that. When I picked the WK up last night the right rear TPMS was faulted. Hopefully it will reset after a few miles.

Thanks for everybody that posts here! It has helped a lot.

why not remove the 2 inch spacer up front and set the bilstein at the 2inch mark? If you need a little more, get one of the thin spacers for the top of the strut
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #134
Chadwi
2007 WK 

OK, I took the struts apart and looked everything over. 5100's and the RC lift don't work, way to much down-travel/droop. The CV boots actually would rub the knuckle at full droop along with the spring seat hitting the back of the knuckle. At first it looked like the 5100 strut was the same length as the stock strut. After carefully comparing the two I saw that the are small differences in the mounting of the strut fork and and shaft. Best I could measure it made a difference of about 3/8". Add that to the RC lift, it won't work with out limit straps. I am ordering a OME MD springs front and rear to finish the lift out. Long story short, RC plus 5100's no worky.

I will get pics once I get done.
Unread 12-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #135
paroxysym
2007 WK 

just wondering why you didnt just take the 5100 up to the 2" with the stock springs and run the RC spacer in the rear.

what are you going to do with the MD? the 5100s set on .75" with the MD coil will set higher in the front- the rear MD coils will prob net 22" or so. the HDs get you 23"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.