Bilstein 5100 series strut - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Bilstein 5100 series strut

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #106
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

I wouldnt use that kind of strut compressors, better to find a shop with a wall mounted compressor to use

ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #107
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Depends on the compressor. I have used a cheap set ($20) with snapped on me and I have used a more expensive set ($50) which have held up great over the years even multiple times on my OME HD coils.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #108
overland-wk
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Depends on the compressor. I have used a cheap set ($20) with snapped on me and I have used a more expensive set ($50) which have held up great over the years even multiple times on my OME HD coils.

I use the same spring compressors
Bumsmodified98xj
overland-wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #109
Kolak
Vendor

Just out of morbid curiousity, what happened when the cheap set snapped? Is the coil spring still orbiting the Earth?
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #110
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Haha, not quite! The hook snapped off the end, didn't exactly fly into the sky but it did slide across the room.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #111
marcram
2008 WK 

Another mechanic quoted me two hours, then raised it to 3 after he realized the fuse box and coolant tank had to be removed. Was tired of mechanic hopping, so got them installed. Haven't seen anyone else go from stock to 1.5 inch lift. I really like the new feel of the jeep. Bilsteins in the back have enough lift loo make practically level. A modest, but noticeable change from stock for me.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/1...8-crd-1723162/
marcram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #112
Chadwi
2007 WK 

I got the 5100's yesterday, thanks Kolak. I am going to try them at the .75 setting with a 2" Rough Country lift. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend!
Chadwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #113
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Hmmm. Maybe if RRO bust out a new hidden winch mount or bumper for the WK I will have to get these to offset the weight of the winch.

Right now I'm running OME HD with a Rusty's 1/4" spacer up front, but with something like this, I could drop the 1/4" spacer and just use the Bilsteins to get back where I was + any increase in weight from a winch, etc.

This is especially tempting since I'm about 2000 miles away from 100,000 and I had my OME installed around the 50,000 mark . . . it might be time for some new shocks anyways.
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #114
fredkiller
2008 WK 

So I had my Jeep dealer put these struts together for me (bought new upper mounts, isolators, and jounce bumper so I could have it preassmebled), but I'm not sure its done quite right... based on the instructions I found for installing the the OME lift on a commander, the top mount is definitely not aligned correctly (looked at this after getting them back from the shop), but I'm also wondering about the lower perch? being as its not welded on, how should it be aligned? I see what looks like a "pilot" hole on the lower perch, that I'm assuming should align with the strut tab? The FSM indicated that there is an alignment hole on the upper mount that should be 180* from the tab, but that is definitely wrong based on the install writeup. I need to get it back to them to correct, and want to make sure I'm explicit with my instructions.

Thanks for any insight!
fredkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #115
candyman85
2007 WK 

Great thread.

Looking for some advice for my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 L Hemi with QDII.

Current setup: Stock coils, RRO 2.25" BB spacer rear/front, OME HD Front Struts, RRO rear shocks (not much info on these rear shocks at the moment).

I'm not happy with the handling of my shock/strut setup, and the front OME HD struts seem very noisy compared to when my vehicle was stock (not sure if it's that, or the coil/spacer mix, etc). Sounds clunky and very "squishy" sounding from the front.

Idea 1. Keep RRO spacers all around, put in Bilstein HD shocks/struts, stock coils (possibly XK hemi coils up front down road for winch weight - will this raise height of front?)

Idea 2. Remove RRO spacers all around, put in Bilstein HD shocks/struts with OME HD coils all around. (assuming OME HD coil can handle weight of winch)

Any advice on which option? I feel I am turned off the OME shocks/struts...but perhaps my setup is just incorrect.

Also, keeping in mind the below, would you recommend the Bilstein HD shocks/struts or the Bilstein 5100 shocks/struts? (what would be better for what I'm doing?)

-I tow a small camp trailer (likely a bigger one in the future)
-Mainly city/hwy driving with mild-medium off-roading - this is my daily driver....hopefully 100% trail rig in the future...

Also, does anyone know the coil spring weight rating of the front 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with Hemi/QDII? I am trying to compare this to the XK Hemi front coil rating of around 600lb's - need to know for when I install my hidden front winch mount + winch...if I actually need to change my stock front coils.

Sorry this was long, I did my lift the 1st time not being 100% happy, don't want to make that mistake the 2nd time. Looking for recommendations from some fellow lifted WK's out there.

Thanks!

Last edited by candyman85; 11-19-2013 at 07:20 PM..
candyman85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #116
zc911

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredkiller View Post
So I had my Jeep dealer put these struts together for me (bought new upper mounts, isolators, and jounce bumper so I could have it preassmebled), but I'm not sure its done quite right... based on the instructions I found for installing the the OME lift on a commander, the top mount is definitely not aligned correctly (looked at this after getting them back from the shop), but I'm also wondering about the lower perch? being as its not welded on, how should it be aligned? I see what looks like a "pilot" hole on the lower perch, that I'm assuming should align with the strut tab? The FSM indicated that there is an alignment hole on the upper mount that should be 180* from the tab, but that is definitely wrong based on the install writeup. I need to get it back to them to correct, and want to make sure I'm explicit with my instructions.

Thanks for any insight!
I think i know what you are saying. The tab sticking out of the bottom of the shock slots into the lower fork, and you are worried the top hat is not aligned properly for the studs to line up with the holes in the body and that tab to line up with the lower fork.
If so, don't sweat it. When you go to install the new strut assembly, put the top hat studs into the body holes and you can twist the strut body to align the tab for the lower fork
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #117
BlackNMWK
2008 WK 

Has anyone tried these with the Superlift strut spacer? I was wanting to do this should get about 5 to 5.5 inches of left??
BlackNMWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #118
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNMWK View Post
Has anyone tried these with the Superlift strut spacer? I was wanting to do this should get about 5 to 5.5 inches of left??
We use that for the modified Superlift. OME HD coil and 5100 strut set at 1.5" spot.
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #119
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca07wk View Post
We use that for the modified Superlift. OME HD coil and 5100 strut set at 1.5" spot.
And not using the superlift spacer? Sounds like that would greatly limit the suspension droop of the superlift setup. Remember the OME, 5100, spacer, etc type lifts gain height at almost a 2:1 factor since the control arm is being pivoted for the lift. The superlift drops everything down 4" and maintains a flat control arm angle. To get full range of suspension travel with the superlift you want a strut setup that is overall ~4 inches longer than the stock strut at full extension.

Thats why im making a spring that has the OME HD spring rate but will only provide 1-1.5" lift with the 5100s on their lowest setting and using that with the SL spacer for my modified superlift setup.
Unread 11-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #120
BlackNMWK
2008 WK 

Cool thank you. I have the OME HD 2inch lift with the superlift strut space right now rides real rough for me.. I was going to try the Bilstein 5100's at the 2inch setting with my stock springs. Long as I can clear the 35's I should be ok. as it sits now I have room to fit 37's. Does anyone see any issues I might run in to?? Thank you.
BlackNMWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.