BFG mud-Terrain 255/75R17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > BFG mud-Terrain 255/75R17

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 11-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
kiddonick
2006 XJ Cherokee 

BFG mud-Terrain 255/75R17

Hello All!

I just ordered the BFG all terrain's 255/75R17 off tire rack because the price was amazing. $94.00ea.
I have read in some previous posts from Nick500ss and PCGI that they also have these tires.

PCGI claims that all he had to do was cut the bolt that sits above the tread to make the tires fit...and claims NO RUBBING even without spacers or a lift. This info is what prompted me to get these tires. They are a great looking tire for an amazing price.

Nick500ss post says that he has the 2.25 RR lift and the 1.25 spidertrax and has some rubbing issues!

Just wondering if anyone can offer anymore feedback or insight on these tires and how they will fit on my 06 GC lmtd.

I plan to lift eventually but...as my budget allows. I guess the lift would really help with the bolt issue anyway.

Also....I feel like a dummy asking this....but, if I get wheel spacers do I need them JUST in the front...or would I need them front and back?

I have a feeling it is front and back....but I had to ask.

Thanks for any help that you can give me!!!!

~Elissa

kiddonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Floof
2005 WK 

The listing at tire rack has them listed as 'different tread' than the other km's. I don't know what is different about that size but it might be something to raise an eyebrow at. You know what they say when something looks too good to be true...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....rrain+T%2FA+KM
Floof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
kiddonick
2006 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmmmm ya. I guess we will find out.
Unread 12-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Floof
2005 WK 

keep us updated when you get them, I'd love to know how they turn out, $94/tire for KM1s is awesome!
Floof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
cotect
2005 WK 

It says it is 'differen't because it is what comes on the wrangler rubicons. The look the same, maybe the compound is a little different? There are a ton of us on the forums that are running these tires. I love mine, a little slick in the rain compared to regular highway tires, and I'm worried about snow and ice, but they have been great offroad on trails and in the mud!

I'm not sure about how they fit with no lift or spacers.

I do know with a lift 3.5RK and 1.5" spacers they rub the pinch weld if you don't take care of it. Pretty bad rubbing too. I think the spacers are what cause that though, so you end up choosing between cutting your balljoint bolt (no spacers) or folding the pinch welds (spacers).

I also like the more aggressive stance the spacers provide. If you do get spacers, you will want them front and back.

good luck with your new tires!
cotect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
ryanlberg
2005 WK 

i pick up 2 more last week from tire rack for 59 bux i have had them for about 6k and so far so good
superchips
HEMI Club Member #21
ryanlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
nick500ss
2006 WK 

My tires only rub on the back of the fender on the plastic liner. That is only due to the diameter of the tire. The spacers are used to keep the tire from rubbing on the upper ball joint stud (the bolt). Without the lift the tires would smack the inside of your fenders every time you hit a significant bump. I paid $98 a tire back in june, they should be $59 on tire rack now. Remember these are the DT tread pattern, the OE tires for the wrangler rubicon, as they are the only siped ones.

2006 WK 4.7 V8 w/ Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, RR 2.25 lift, Spidertrax 1.25 spacers, 255/75 r17 BF Goodrich MT's, Superchips Flashpaq tuner, Uniden BCT8 scanner, Cobra 29 WX NW ST cb radio, Radio Shack window mount antennas x2, Whelen Slim Miser Led blue light(because I'm a VF), my Browning rifle and Mossberg shotgun in the back for fun:)
nick500ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
nick500ss
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddonick View Post
Hello All!

I just ordered the BFG all terrain's 255/75R17 off tire rack because the price was amazing. $94.00ea.
I noticed you said all terrains in your post, PCGI and I have the mud terrains. You might want to double check what you ordered because return shipping will be pricey.
2006 WK 4.7 V8 w/ Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, RR 2.25 lift, Spidertrax 1.25 spacers, 255/75 r17 BF Goodrich MT's, Superchips Flashpaq tuner, Uniden BCT8 scanner, Cobra 29 WX NW ST cb radio, Radio Shack window mount antennas x2, Whelen Slim Miser Led blue light(because I'm a VF), my Browning rifle and Mossberg shotgun in the back for fun:)
Unread 12-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
cotect
2005 WK 

FYI they are back to $94 on tirerack. I also looked at the ones on the Rubi up close before I got mine. I didn't notice any siping, I'll have to check again. They looked exactly the same to me.
cotect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
phillyeaglekgd
1995 ZJ 

I got mine last week for the (1) day they were on sale for $59 (Thanks to the post on this site!)

They ARE NOT siped. The difference between the DT and regular Mud Terrains is the center row of lugs. The DT tire has a bit more of a hook-shaped center lug (Kind-of like the Toyo MT, but not that extreme). The original BFG MT has a more "Square-Shaped" Center Lug (which is also not siped).

From what I have read, this different shape is to make the DT tires quieter on the road.
phillyeaglekgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
kiddonick
2006 XJ Cherokee 

I oops'ed with the "all terrain" they are mud terrains.

I hope they get here soon! I guess I better order the Lift and Spacer! Woo Hoo...my jeep will be looking tough in no time =)

Thanks for all the feedback!!!!
Unread 12-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
nick500ss
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyeaglekgd View Post
I got mine last week for the (1) day they were on sale for $59 (Thanks to the post on this site!)

They ARE NOT siped. The difference between the DT and regular Mud Terrains is the center row of lugs. The DT tire has a bit more of a hook-shaped center lug (Kind-of like the Toyo MT, but not that extreme). The original BFG MT has a more "Square-Shaped" Center Lug (which is also not siped).

From what I have read, this different shape is to make the DT tires quieter on the road.
The treads in the center are siped. I talked to a rep from BF Goodrich who said these tires come siped for Chrysler for the rubi as chrysler wanted a mud tire that would perform good on slick pavement.
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
GopherBaroque

A note about your "special" BFG M/T. Your BFG M/T tire was likely from a 2007-2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. The cool thing about this particular size is that it is SPECIALLY-designed by BFG for Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. When the Wrangler Rubicon came out in '07 (as a new design), Jeep wanted a M/T tire that is also good all-season (aka in snow & ice). Therefore, Jeep ask BFG to redesign the BFG tread to be a better all-arounder (better on-road, slightly quieter, and better in bad weather). Thus, these Jeep M/Ts have more biting surfaces and slightly closer lug spacing. If you go to a tire store and look up other sizes of BFG M/T, then you will see a few differences:

1. Other sizes have less biting notches on the center lugs
2. Other sizes have lugs more spaced out, both the center and edge lugs

There is no way to get this particular "Jeep design" in any other sizes than 255/75/17. You have to get this size to get this particular tread design. Otherwise, you have the same toughness as in other BFG M/Ts, including 3-ply sidewall and thick tread.

So, what you have is probably the best BFG MT that you can get as an all-arounder mud-terrain. It is quieter and better on-road (bad or good weather) than other BFG MT. It may not be as good off-road as the new BFG M/T KM2, but it should be better on-road and quieter.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/perfor...5-70r17-2.html
GopherBaroque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
criket
2005 WK 

2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG antenna mount | Rola roof
criket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
socalwk

I got them for $94 a piece to way back when...I can't believe they are over $200 a tire now....insane!!!!
socalwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.