A better exhaust for the 5.7 WK?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > A better exhaust for the 5.7 WK??

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 02-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

A better exhaust for the 5.7 WK??

I was checking out the stock exhaust manifolds from my 5.7 LX and 5.7 WK and noticed a pretty big difference. Looks to me like the LX (the bigger one) would flow somewhat better than the stock WK setup. It would obviously require some head pipe modification, but may be worth it if you can find a set of LX'ers at a good price somewhere. At least they would port match and have the EGR tap, unlike the stock 6.1 manifolds. The collector ID on the WK is 1 7/8 in. and the ID on the LX one is 2 5/8 in.

dscn1284-600-x-450-.jpg   dscn1285-600-x-450-.jpg   dscn1287-600-x-450-.jpg   dscn1288-600-x-450-.jpg  
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
10cent
2009 WK 

Hm.. Nice observation. I might have to try this out on my 5.7.

How are you liking your custom headers so far?

2012 Wrangler Sport
10cent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

10cent, I'd be interested on how well that works out if you do it. Being that the LX'ers are a little taller and wider, the interior ports are a little bigger than the WK ones....in addition to the larger collector, and smooth curve down. The only real downside is that they (exhaust ports) all still dump into a common log. If it made a fair amount of difference for a little bit of $$$, that would make a pretty good mod. IMO, you'd have to go with a good 3 in. single exhaust too though to maximize the benefits.

So far the custom headers are working well. I've taken two short trips so far and the mileage seems to be up ~1.5-2.0 mpg. The performance is also considerably better. It pulls hard all the way up to at least 95 mph. I did a 220 mile trip today with a slight (5-10 mph) head wind outbound, and the same as a tail wind inbound, and the EVIC showed 22.5 mpg, and that's with at least 6 full throttle runs from ~55-95 mph. The first full tank, including this little jaunt and about 55 miles of stop and go city driving netted 264 miles on 14.3 gallons. The city driving really kills the mileage for sure.

I have noticed a couple things that may need addressing though. The 1/1 O2 sensor (front on the driver's side) is fluctuating (cycling) normally, but the 2/1 sensor (front passenger side) is lazy and does not cycle like it should, and tends to run a little on the rich side. That tells me that there may be a bad sensor or a problem with the EGR tap. Have to do a little more research on this. I also noticed that on a moderate right turn the engine appears to move enough to the left to where the driver's side header kisses the steering shaft a little. If they have to remove the header again for any reason, I'll have them fix it, otherwise it doesn't appear to be a big problem in the place that I think it is hitting. I'll have to get under it and check it out closer.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
10cent
2009 WK 

It seems like this would be a decent little upgrade for around $300-$350 installed depending on how much you get the manifolds for and who you know at an exhaust shop. I'm sure there are plenty of used stock manifolds sitting in peoples garages they wouldn't mind parting with.

I had been thinking about getting shorty headers and having my local shop mod them to fit but this would be significantly cheaper and, being that it doesn't seem it's really been done before, much more interesting. Once I get caught up at work I think I'll give this a shot.

2012 Wrangler Sport
Unread 03-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
10cent
2009 WK 

Alright I'm pretty much to a point I'm ready to start looking further into this.

90grandoneer, since you have actual experience with the two, do you see any reason shorty headers designed for a Charger wouldn't be just as easy to be made to fit on the Jeep as the stock Charger manifolds?

Also is the exhaust you're running a custom setup or is it actually manufactured by Magnaflow?

2012 Wrangler Sport
Unread 03-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Actually, 10cent, that was originally one of the options my exhaust guy was going to try. He was going to either cut up a set of LX JBA shorties (uncoated stainless) or try to get JBA to sell him the unassembled header flanges and tubes and go from there. Once he got the WK apart he decided it would be quicker and less hassle to just build them from scratch. I think he would reaccess that now that it's done. I think the only way you'll find out for sure is to get a set (either the LX manifolds or the shorties, or both) remove yours, and see what needs to be changed. It has been tried so you may want to check here: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527426

You'll see that he ended up using the stock SRT manifolds, but not without some big issues. I opted against that because only 2 sides of each port matches. The SRT header hangs over the other two, which would create a big obstruction to the exhaust flow. Also, the EGR issue is a biggie, IMO, especially if you're in a state that does emission testing. It's actually better to have the EGR, because it lowers combustion temperatures, and can give you a little more power with less chance of detonation.

My system has custom built tubular headers and a custom 3 in. system utilizing in this order behind the Cats: a 3X10 in glasspack, a 3X22 in. Magnaflow muffler (No. 14589), and another 3X10 in. glasspack in the stock resonator position. This keeps the Hemi MDS drone to a minimum, and allows it to pass the "wife" test. There is minimal tone note change between 4 and 8 cylinder mode. The headers with the 3 in. system is waaaay to big for the 4 cylinder mode though and probably looses power because it can't scavenge like it should. That's also why additional glasspack sound dampening is needed.

Hope this helps you a little in your decision making process.

Give one, or both of the options a close look and let us know how it comes out. A bunch of us Hemi owners have inquiring minds and want to know. I will say it's a tight fit up in there, so you'll have to take your time and be patient. When I saw what the exhaust guy went through, I was glad to pay him. Even though the price was fairly steep, I feel I got the better end of the deal. He was real good about it though and, because of it, I'll always take my work to him. Besides he's the only quality custom builder in town.
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
RagtagGuy
2005 WK 

Any updates on this?
RagtagGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

A number of folks have said they were going to try it but, to date, I've not heard of anyone doing it. You could be the first. Why not go for it?
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer
A number of folks have said they were going to try it but, to date, I've not heard of anyone doing it. You could be the first. Why not go for it?
I'm about to acquire a pair of srt8 headers myself. I will definitely post up the info when I get going.

Omelet already has is and will probably beat me to it.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Actually, 10cent, that was originally one of the options my exhaust guy was going to try. He was going to either cut up a set of LX JBA shorties (uncoated stainless) or try to get JBA to sell him the unassembled header flanges and tubes and go from there. Once he got the WK apart he decided it would be quicker and less hassle to just build them from scratch. I think he would reaccess that now that it's done. I think the only way you'll find out for sure is to get a set (either the LX manifolds or the shorties, or both) remove yours, and see what needs to be changed. It has been tried so you may want to check here: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527426

You'll see that he ended up using the stock SRT manifolds, but not without some big issues. I opted against that because only 2 sides of each port matches. The SRT header hangs over the other two, which would create a big obstruction to the exhaust flow. Also, the EGR issue is a biggie, IMO, especially if you're in a state that does emission testing. It's actually better to have the EGR, because it lowers combustion temperatures, and can give you a little more power with less chance of detonation.

My system has custom built tubular headers and a custom 3 in. system utilizing in this order behind the Cats: a 3X10 in glasspack, a 3X22 in. Magnaflow muffler (No. 14589), and another 3X10 in. glasspack in the stock resonator position. This keeps the Hemi MDS drone to a minimum, and allows it to pass the "wife" test. There is minimal tone note change between 4 and 8 cylinder mode. The headers with the 3 in. system is waaaay to big for the 4 cylinder mode though and probably looses power because it can't scavenge like it should. That's also why additional glasspack sound dampening is needed.

Hope this helps you a little in your decision making process.

Give one, or both of the options a close look and let us know how it comes out. A bunch of us Hemi owners have inquiring minds and want to know. I will say it's a tight fit up in there, so you'll have to take your time and be patient. When I saw what the exhaust guy went through, I was glad to pay him. Even though the price was fairly steep, I feel I got the better end of the deal. He was real good about it though and, because of it, I'll always take my work to him. Besides he's the only quality custom builder in town.
That link is dead.
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

The link is only dead on JF, as it is from a different forum. Copy it to your browser and it'll work.

Also, I think what kebkid is addressing is the use of the LX manifolds. Am I right kebkid?
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
RagtagGuy
2005 WK 

Yes, I've seen omelets SRT headers, but u was also curious about the hemi headers from the lx JGC
RagtagGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
The link is only dead on JF, as it is from a different forum. Copy it to your browser and it'll work.

Also, I think what kebkid is addressing is the use of the LX manifolds. Am I right kebkid?
I'm aware of the dumb rule they have here but I tried the copy method and it didn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebkid
Yes, I've seen omelets SRT headers, but u was also curious about the hemi headers from the lx JGC
Yeah, after he told me you could mod the mid pipe for them to fit, I looked into finding a pair and I'm pretty sure I have a set lined up.
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Funny, it worked that way for me this morning, but it doesn't now. Try manually typing the address into your browser. I just did that and it worked. Lots of good info. on that thread, plus several different options. After seeing the big differences in the stock manifolds and the others, that's what got me going on my custom headers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.