Best way to make my jeep faster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Best way to make my jeep faster

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 08-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
JEEP4THEWIN000
2007 WK 

Best way to make my jeep faster

what's best way to get more power out of my 5.7?

JEEP4THEWIN000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
sickchilly
2010 WK 

Read existing threads such as:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...etter-1565046/
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Best, or cheapest?? It also depends on how much more power you're looking for. I figure I've picked up around 90-100 rwhp with my mods. (see signature)....done over a period of about 3 1/2 years. Total cost has been ~$4000....so far. I think I am done now (except for SRT rep. wheels), unless I have a massive engine problem. Then I'll build it my way. If money is no object you can build it anyway you want. Some of the mods. only help at higher RPM (WOT), and remember, you may not notice much difference by any given mod. but they are cumulative. Also, when you do your mods., do them in a logical order, and don't do them in an order that will not deliver the maximum benefit for the particular mod. i.e. don't put a cam in with a stock exhaust system still in place. You'll only get about 1/2 the potential. I've taken more than a full second off my 1/4 mile time, and my highway fuel economy has gone from 17-18 mpg, stock to 20-22 mpg modified, with a high of just over 24 mpg. Around town, still about the same as everyone else...12-15 mpg. Here's the approximate order that I did mine:
1. Catch can IMO, an absolute must on any Hemi engine. Also inspect/clean the backside of the throttle body butterfly.
2. MDS "On" Light Helps you "learn" to drive in a way to maximize MDS "on" time. On the highway, I can keep the MDS on ~90+% of the time, unless I am in hilly/mountainous terrain.
3. Tuners....both the Diablosport Predator and Superchips Flashpaq with the Advanced Transmission Tuning Application. A definite help.
4. Tubular headers and 3 in. cat. back....all custom (most expensive of anything I did and second most hp gain...guessing~30-35)
5. EGR tube mod and customized stock type airbox/intake and K & N/TrueFlow air filter. Cheap and easy to do.
6. Sonnax Transmission Line Pressure Booster. IMO, a definite must, if you're planning to add a fair amount of hp.
7. Suspension/SRT body kit.....SRT lowering springs, Bilstein Shocks/Struts, SRT sway bars, SRT front and rear bumpers. Suspension mods. make it a blast to drive, especially on windy mountain roads.
8. FRI Engineering Sidewinder cam, 6.1 timing chain tensioner, valve springs and pushrods, Crower adjustable timing set, advanced cam 2 degrees. Biggest hp gain by far. Dyno proven (not by me) to pick up around 50 rwhp with a good exhaust.
9. SLP 25% underdrive crank pulley. I think this helped a small amount.
10. BBK true 85mm throttle body...don't do this if you're sticking with the stock cam and only slightly modified intake/exhaust.
11. SOS ignition coils using .060 in. spark plug gaps (they recommend .065 in.) The jury is still out on this one.

If you're looking for less expensive, get (or make) a catch can, modify the stock airbox and get either an SRT or Airaid Jr. intake tube (gets rid of all the bulky, heavy silencers), and put in a good high flow air filter. Get the tuner of your choice. Here it depends on what you're after. IMO, the Superchips, with the ATT App., makes it the better choice. It allows you to totally customize your shift schedules and torque management. Next do a good header back exhaust system with a 3 in. cat. back. You can use LX logs, SRT headers, get aftermarket 6.1 headers or try to get a custom set built like I did. Finally, depending on where you want your power to be (RPM range), leave the cam alone, or advance it about 6 degrees. If you want it to handle like it's on rails, do the suspension mods I did. You don't necessarily have to lower it though....you can get stock SRT springs.

Hope this helps a little.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
R32R1
2006 WK 

Search dude. Two posts in and you are asking things that have been covered countless times
R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
08hemi
2008 WK 

I gotta say, the 5.7 is no slouch... but if ya wanna go fast...

The red one is mine...

If fast and powerful is what you want, don't waste your time and money on some thing that weighs ~5000#...
08hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
R32R1
2006 WK 

R1 = fast. Liter bike all the way
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
toycam

Trade it in for an SRT8.
toycam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toycam View Post
Trade it in for an SRT8.
I know that's what I would have done, but I stole mine almost 4 years ago, so I went with it. SRT's were going for almost double what I paid for my Overland with 48K on it. It's now about as quick and handles as at least as well as a stock SRT, plus mine has MDS which helps a bunch on fuel economy. I just can't stop as quick. Where I race, a guy has a blown WK SRT, and he runs in the low 11's with it, but I doubt he drives it too much on the street, back seat is out of it, and who knows what else. Mine's my daily driver, probably 95% of the time.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Roll it off a cliff... It's a jeep. Unless you bought a hemi or an SRT with a 6.1 hemi- the cost vs gains to make a v6 or the 4.7 faster is not worth it . Do your simple bolt-ons and a tuner and be thankful for your gains.
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
Roll it off a cliff... It's a jeep. Unless you bought a hemi or an SRT with a 6.1 hemi- the cost vs gains to make a v6 or the 4.7 faster is not worth it . Do your simple bolt-ons and a tuner and be thankful for your gains.
He has the 5.7..
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin

He has the 5.7..
K well diablo tuner, exhaust, intake, catch can to be safe, and call it a day. Unless he wants to start swapping heads and **** from a 6.1.
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
R32R1
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
He has the 5.7..
same thing. If it's not an SRT-8, then there is no point in making it 'faster'. It's an off-road vehicle. Buy an SRT-8 or Trailblazer SS if you want a 'quick' SUV
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32R1 View Post
same thing. If it's not an SRT-8, then there is no point in making it 'faster'. It's an off-road vehicle. Buy an SRT-8 or Trailblazer SS if you want a 'quick' SUV
I don't see why you cant have both. Its nice to be able to upgrade your vehicle to make it a little quicker.

Im trying to upgrade my performance now, that way when I finally get a lift / bigger tires it will still be fairly quick. There is nothing wrong with a offroad vehicle that is quick. I think it would be pretty cool to see a lifted offroad vehicle take on some cars and win.

Also, in other people case maybe they don't use it for offroading. Maybe they want a fast daily driver with the nice capabilities of a four wheel drive for snow and bad weather conditions. There is a guy on the "other" forums with a 5.7L that will beat stock SRT8s, and would also handle much nicer in the snow than the srt8.

In my case, I want my jeep lifted for offroad use & daily driver. But I can't afford the lift/wheels/tires I want right now. So im gonna wait until my current tires are worn before I do all that. Until then, im doing some minor performance mods. Nothing wrong with that
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

You can, I did, and it doesn't cost near as much as an SRT, and an SRT can't come close to my fuel economy. To do it all though....brakes, suspension, forged engine, etc., the cost would be prohibitive, but if all you're after is the performance angle, it's really a whole lot less. I kind of went in between, and am very happy with the results. I don't know how good mine would be off road or if I lifted it though. Sure it would perform better but, with a cam, you pretty much kill the bottom end which would adversely affect some types of off roading. Also, mine being lowered, doesn't do well in snow that is deeper than about 4-5 inches. Fortunately, where I am, we usually don't get that much, and what we do get is usually gone in a day or two. I have had a few problems on trips to areas that get a bunch more....i.e. I-80 between Salt Lake and Reno.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.