Best riding 2" lift for 2009? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Best riding 2" lift for 2009?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
diver110
2009 WK 

Best riding 2" lift for 2009?

I have a 2009 Overland. I want to do about a 2" lift. I am not too price sensitive and do not want a lousy ride. I have heard good things about Old Man Emu (how did it get that name?), but Quadratrec claims there is not one for my year. Suggestions?

Unread 12-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
bhawks28
2009 WK 

I just ordered the Old Man Emu HD lift for my '09 WK from kolak here on the forums. I think he'll be your best bet on prices. I decided to go with the OME HD lift because I've heard nothing but positive about it. I'm very excited to try out the ride of the new suspension. I should be getting the rest of my parts and all of it installed in the next few weeks, I can definitely let you know how the ride compares to stock.
bhawks28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
diver110
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
I just ordered the Old Man Emu HD lift for my '09 WK from kolak here on the forums. I think he'll be your best bet on prices. I decided to go with the OME HD lift because I've heard nothing but positive about it. I'm very excited to try out the ride of the new suspension. I should be getting the rest of my parts and all of it installed in the next few weeks, I can definitely let you know how the ride compares to stock.
Thanks. Good to know it is available for the 2009 after all. By all means, please let me know how it works out.
Unread 12-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
jjt250
2007 WK 

I don't see why any lift kit for the WK wouldn't work with an '09. As far as I can tell, the suspension is the same from 2005 to 2010. Actually I think they changed the shocks a bit on 08+s but they are otherwise the same. I think the general consensus is that the OME HD is a great ride especially if you'll be adding lots of skids and gear and prefer a stiffer ride whereas the OME MD might be better if you prefer a more stock-like ride. Can't tell you for sure as I have never ridden in a WK with either before.
Unread 12-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110
I have a 2009 Overland. I want to do about a 2" lift. I am not too price sensitive and do not want a lousy ride. I have heard good things about Old Man Emu (how did it get that name?), but Quadratrec claims there is not one for my year. Suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250
I don't see why any lift kit for the WK wouldn't work with an '09. As far as I can tell, the suspension is the same from 2005 to 2010. Actually I think they changed the shocks a bit on 08+s but they are otherwise the same. I think the general consensus is that the OME HD is a great ride especially if you'll be adding lots of skids and gear and prefer a stiffer ride whereas the OME MD might be better if you prefer a more stock-like ride. Can't tell you for sure as I have never ridden in a WK with either before.
You have the hemi so definitely go with the HD. You need the extra stiffness for the weight of the hemi. You can pick it up from Kolak for a great price. I did get mine from Quadratec but that was because I was in a time pinch and they are 30 minutes from me.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

I have had both MD, and now HD on my HEMI XK. I can tell you that the MD springs are about the same, possibly a little stiffer than stock, and the HD is quite a bit stiffer. After having both, I honestly wish I had stuck with the MD's. call me crazy, but it rides like a pickup truck and I miss the comfort of the MD's.
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Swarmer
2005 WK 

Am riding on OME MD with 255/70/R17 Geolandar ats, smooth a silk...
Swarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
Am riding on OME MD with 255/70/R17 Geolandar ats, smooth a silk...
I see you have a diesel too. How much lift did you see in front over stock and do you have any skid plates? Also is the ride stiffer over stock?
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
gemiller
2008 WK 

I have ome hd(everyone including kolak says hd on diesel) on my crd and I got more than 2" out of mine and it rides awesome
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Does the CRD weigh more than the HEMI?
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
Does the CRD weigh more than the HEMI?
Yes, by about 100 pounds I believe.
Unread 12-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
jeepingib

I have the MD, and a 4.7. I love the way it rides. It is just a touch firmer than stock, but not harsh at all. I've ridden in one with the HD and I'm glad I went with the MD.
jeepingib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

I have the MD set up and skids front to back. No sag and I'm a out at a year now. Ride is great and just a touch stiffer than stock. OME kit leveled the front out. I was looking to go to a JK and I just can't now. With a HEMI and the comfort plus QDII I can't get better.
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

If you are looking for a comfortable ride then definitely go with the OME! The ride quality and handling is for a lack of a better word, Perfect! If you don't plan on adding any significant weight to the Jeep the get the MD coils front and rear. If you plan on adding a front skid and some type of brush guard (like the Matrix) then I would get the HD front coils and MD rear coils. If you plan to add a heavy bumper like an ARB the do the same HD front/MD rear. If you plan to add full armor (brush guard/steel bumper, front skid, belly skid, sliders, rear skid) then get the HD coils front and rear. You can always swap coils later down the road if you want to get the MD now and then later on add a bunch of weight and want the HD coils, that's what I did

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
If you are looking for a comfortable ride then definitely go with the OME! The ride quality and handling is for a lack of a better word, Perfect! If you don't plan on adding any significant weight to the Jeep the get the MD coils front and rear. If you plan on adding a front skid and some type of brush guard (like the Matrix) then I would get the HD front coils and MD rear coils. If you plan to add a heavy bumper like an ARB the do the same HD front/MD rear. If you plan to add full armor (brush guard/steel bumper, front skid, belly skid, sliders, rear skid) then get the HD coils front and rear. You can always swap coils later down the road if you want to get the MD now and then later on add a bunch of weight and want the HD coils, that's what I did
Again, my lack of research before buying seems that it will bite me in the ***. Do you think the the HD coils all around will be too stiff with the 3.7L and no significant weight added? I mean, I'd love to eventually get some armor, but I just don't have the funds right now (but the OME HD lift is already ordered and 2 sets of HD coils have been received).
bhawks28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.