Best first mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Best first mods

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 46th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

Best first mods

Hey all, just got a 2009 wk 5.7 overland and am going to build it slowly. I'd say it will be 85% street 15% wheel use.
It's completely stock as of now and what I was curious is what you guys would recommend mod wise and in what order?
Armor up first? Lift and wheels feel free to direct me because I have no clue.
I did a search and saw lots of threads about mods in general but nothing about the order people recommend.
Thanks ,
Andrew

ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
Anon155
2005 WK 

Congrats on the new purchase! It all depends really on what you expect and want out of your rig. Generally, our WKs are used mainly for on road with light/moderate trail use. Where most JK or Cherokee guys are building them up for designated trail rigs. Depending on what lift you want (BB, OME MD/HD, Superlift, etc) and what tire size you're looking to run (255,265,285,or larger). Those generally will take your biggest chunk of the budget. Armor/Recovery is a necessity if you plan on wheelin. Your lift will take you there, but the armor will save your butt/merchandise. I would first decide what lift you want, then worry about armor.

Here's a couple companies to check out for armor:
-4xgaurd
-Steel Armadillo
-Aspen Creek
-Asfir
-Mopar Steel Skids (Front, Transfer case, Gas Tank)
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
bhawks28
2009 WK 

It's up to you and depends on what you plan to do with it. If you want to off-road it, I'd say recovery comes absolutely first, then armor. After that, wheels, lift and tires.

Some guys also lift and put bigger tires on just for looks.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

Lift wise I'd probably go for a 2-3", I'd prefer to run the biggest tire I can with zero rubbing or modification.
I've read that everyone raves about old man emu so id probably go that route. I just didn't know if there are other mods that you would recommend prior or just go head first into the lift and tires.

Edit: one thing I have noticed with the overland having the hid headlights, the fogs look bad in comparison. Any solid replacement or HID fog light kits anyone could point me to?
image-4287472255.jpg

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Anon155
2005 WK 

The OME MD/HD is a great lift! I have it myself. I'd recommend getting the HD if you're putting on armor. The heavier duty springs will cope with the added weight better than the MD. The ride is amazing compared to stock. Most guys are using a 255 or 265/70 tire, but you can fit a 285 with some modification to the pinch weld and rear fender. I'd recommend doing that. The pinch weld is notorious for causing rubbing issues even with the stock wheels. All it takes is a few slices with a cut-off wheel or drimel and a big hammer to fold them flat. There's plenty of how-to's if your nervous about it.
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

Ya I'd really like to stay away from any cutting or adjusting with the fender mainly because of how new to me it is and since I have payments on it etc. is 265 the highest I can run on the ome or would that rub as well?

Also I read quite a bit into performance upgrades and all seem to say go tuner in regards to that first.
For every car/jeep I've owned I have always done the exhaust. Any recommended brands? I typically go with a more docile or quiet exhaust like magnaflow. Don't know how others feel as far as brands. I've only had magnaflow and bassani thus far on any of my cars but I know there are different fan boy groups for every type of vehicle.

Edit: sorry if I have some noob questions. Haven't had a jeep since 17/18 and didn't know much then. Only really got into cars when I switched to muscle and am not all to keen on the off roading scene
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajxj9197 View Post
...performance upgrades....
Recommend you add a BT Oil Catch Can to keep your HEMI intake manifold cleaner.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
paroxysym
2007 WK 

id prob do all performance mods and any lighting mods first. from there youll be able to figure out where to take the jeep- offroad or keep it street. which will set up your next round of mods- lift/tires/rims
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
R32R1
2006 WK 

Couple of DON'Ts:

- Drop-in HIDs
- Blacked out emblems
- Anything stick-on from Pep-Boys

R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32R1
Couple of DON'Ts:

- Drop-in HIDs
- Blacked out emblems
- Anything stick-on from Pep-Boys

Haha no worrie on those, I have chrome rims as of now so I wouldn't black out anything unless I got matte/charcoal/black rims. With the olive green the chrome works quite well actually.

I've been looking into exhaust and alot of I'm seeing in the $600 up range that typically for the GC 5.7?
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
I've been looking into exhaust and alot of I'm seeing in the $600 up range that typically for the GC 5.7?
Depends on what type of exhaust you're looking at. 600 dollars is pretty steep though....If you're looking for a cat back style (gibson for example) that runs usually around 350-400 online. If you're looking for a bit more rumble without the cost, I would look into a magnaflow round muffler and new stainless piping from the flange back. You can install a new stainless resonator as well. That would only cost 250-300 with install at most exhaust shops.
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

Nice ya the magnaflow catback was $660, love their products but you pay for it. Probably would be cheaper to piece everything together. The muffler on these things are ridiculously huge
K got that figured out,

When are shocks/struts usually going out on these? I'm only at 60k now so I figure whenever they so go out that's when I'd lift it. That and I have brand new tired so no need to waste those either
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
When are shocks/struts usually going out on these? I'm only at 60k now so I figure whenever they so go out that's when I'd lift it. That and I have brand new tired so no need to waste those either
From the looks of your jeep and how well maintained it was, you should be good to go for awhile. Usually the stock shocks and struts will last well over 100,000 miles. So if you're happy with the tires you have, your suspension will last until you want to get the lift.
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

Ya it was owned by an old couple, best part is they didn't clear the nav searches or anything and from the looks of it all, the 60k is almost all highway and long trips
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
R32R1
2006 WK 

Quote:
Haha no worrie on those, I have chrome rims as of now so I wouldn't black out anything unless I got matte/charcoal/black rims. With the olive green the chrome works quite well actually.

The word is `wheels`, not `rims`
R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.