Bedline vs Powdercoating Wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Bedline vs Powdercoating Wheels

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

View Poll Results: Stock, PlastiDip, Bedliner, Powdercoat
Stock Aluminum 1 9.09%
PlastiDip 5 45.45%
Bedliner 1 9.09%
Powdercoat 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
GC10LTD
2010 WK 

Bedline vs Powdercoating Wheels

So I've definitely done my fair share of reading around and have found that alot of WK owners either powdercoat or bedline their wheels. I have tried plastidip and I just dont like it to be completely honest. So I was looking at using a bedliner to coat my wheels instead. Any thoughts about this? Anyone who has used either of the two, chime in and let me know what you think would be best. Thanks

GC10LTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
Andy401

2010 WK 

Check out Omelet's build thread. He bed lined his.
Silver WK Club Member #106 - 2010 Silver WK
2" Rough Country BB Lift - Kumho 265/70/R17 - Hunter Brush Guard - Homemade Stubby Antenna
-KCCO
Andy401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
GC10LTD
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy401
Check out Omelet's build thread. He bed lined his.
i thought omelet powder coated his
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Bedlining can be un-even and cause balance issues.

Anodizing is best if you can find a local place to do a thick plating which will last a long time.
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
paroxysym
2007 WK 

my votes for powdercoating...

i just bought a set of powdercoated moabs and they look flawless, and the powdercoating job looks top notch. the surface isnt rough so i imagine cleaning them will be very easy.

the reason i didnt vote plastidip is after dipping my previous moabs multiple times its just too time consuming to stay on top the upkeep. i was dipping my wheels every 5months it seemed, stripping them and reapplying 4 coats. plus everytime you remount or dismount a tire you need to touch them up. also theyre not THAT easy to clean. breakdust may hose off but it still looks like it stains the dip.
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I wouldn't plasti-dip them. As other have said when you install new tires you gotta fix the dip on the wheels. I never had plasti dip on mine (I have aftermarket) but my brother in law does on his. I plasti-dipped all the chrome trim on my Limited and had it there for over a year. It held up good but i took it all off last weekend because if you get mud or anything on the plasti-dip and it dries it will stain it even after you wash it.
Unread 04-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
I wouldn't plasti-dip them. As other have said when you install new tires you gotta fix the dip on the wheels. I never had plasti dip on mine (I have aftermarket) but my brother in law does on his. I plasti-dipped all the chrome trim on my Limited and had it there for over a year. It held up good but i took it all off last weekend because if you get mud or anything on the plasti-dip and it dries it will stain it even after you wash it.
yea its like a soft top on a wrangler, it stains if it sits on there long enough.

they do make a special cleaner for break dust and such on the wheels to clean the plasti-dip... but cmon
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

If you really want to commit, then use Rustoleum bedliner. It's outstanding in this application. It's really durable, goes on smoothly, and there's no way it will ever be thick enough to cause balance issues. It also cleans really well. It's almost got a Teflon like aspect to it. Below is a pic of my TJ after I bedlined my OEM Gamblers.

Unread 04-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
GC10LTD
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru
If you really want to commit, then use Rustoleum bedliner. It's outstanding in this application. It's really durable, goes on smoothly, and there's no way it will ever be thick enough to cause balance issues. It also cleans really well. It's almost got a Teflon like aspect to it. Below is a pic of my TJ after I bedlined my OEM Gamblers.
I just want something that durable and that won't stain. My plastidip is a pain to redo every 3-5 months
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC10LTD View Post
I just want something that durable and that won't stain. My plastidip is a pain to redo every 3-5 months
Then I'd say the Rustoleum is a great option. You'll only have to do it once. It has a slight texture, but nothing that looks out of place on a wheel.
Unread 04-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
GC10LTD
2010 WK 

Quote:
Then I'd say the Rustoleum is a great option. You'll only have to do it once. It has a slight texture, but nothing that looks out of place on a wheel.
I'm going to lowes to get some today! Can't wait to see how they turn out
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #12
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Good luck and post pics!
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:

I'm going to lowes to get some today! Can't wait to see how they turn out
Awesome! Just a little advice about the application. Spray with the wheels removed and flat against ground, and don't spray the coats on too heavy. You really don't want to attempt to sand it out if you get runs...
Unread 04-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
GC10LTD
2010 WK 

Quote:
Awesome! Just a little advice about the application. Spray with the wheels removed and flat against ground, and don't spray the coats on too heavy. You really don't want to attempt to sand it out if you get runs...
Can I apply it with my tires on my wheels if I cover my tires up and just leave the wheels exposed
Unread 04-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Can I apply it with my tires on my wheels if I cover my tires up and just leave the wheels exposed
You can, but it's not like the Plastidip where you can peel off the excess. Wherever it's applied, it's going to stay. Just be wary that the coats aren't too thick, as you really don't want it to run. I can't stress that enough. You'll get great coverage with 3~4 light coats.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.