Battling Chrysler - WK Needs New Engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Battling Chrysler - WK Needs New Engine

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
lostinthe619
2005 WK 

Battling Chrysler - WK Needs New Engine

I'm having an issue with Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep and was wondering if I had any legal standing in this matter or if it would make sense to have an attorney represent me against Chrysler for the claim I have filed against what appears to be some less than stellar repair work to my Jeep from one of their dealerships.

Keeping the story as short as possible, last November I had to have a head and head gasket replaced under warranty on my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Two weeks ago my engine seized up as I was leaving my house and heading to work (made it one block) and had to have it towed. Had it towed to a different dealership other than the one that did the original work as I wanted to see what they had to say. The new service advisor stated that "it looks like the other dealership just put a band aid on a much bigger problem." < First clue I was about to go for a ride...

Compression and leakdown test was performed and the numbers were all over the place and they weren't sure what was the issue, however they did put a scope in the engine to look in each cylinder and advised that there's rust in all of them. SA advised that I should begin the process of filing a claim with Chrysler.

Filed the claim with Chrysler and got "we don't know what we can do until a full diagnosis is done" so the dealership has now taken apart the whole engine and advised that coolant filled the block and caused the engine to seize and it's done for. It also appears that the engine has overheated several times which is garbage, the claim rep today even said they can't figure out why it has never pegged the gauge or thrown the EVIC into alarm starting as much.

Vehicle information:
2005 WK Limited w/4.7 v8.
Purchased used in 2008 with 33k miles.
Head and head gasket replaced 11/2012 @ 70k.
Engine is now toast at 74,967.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

lostinthe619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
robpp

sorry not much help

but IMO its between you and the first dealership if everyone else wants you to pay. chrysler doesnt OWN the dealership. Chrysler didnt repair your vewhicle........XYZ Jeep dealer did.

when they did the head gasket did you get any papeerwork? usually you get a 12month 12K mile guarantee on a repair.

or is it under some extended warranty? then may be different.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

What kind of warranty? Was not the lifetime warranty so you had to buy a extended warranty and need to go through that company.
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Ditchd
2009 WK 

I can't comment under your US laws but they seem to be generally similar to UK ones with reference to consumer rights.

I would suggest that , as stated earlier your claim lays with the first dealer not Chrysler. If its a design or manufacturing fault that's emerged it's up to them to deal with Chrysler. If its their work they are entirely responsible.

As far as proving its their work, on balance of probability it's almost certainly the work done that has led to the failure that's described as occurred. If they allege other problems are present they have to prove that they were exclusively contributory to the failure eg a crack on the channels in the block. That also opens up further questions such as could they reasonably have forseen other problems and should they have diagnosed/investigated/repaired/advised.

My personal thoughts are that parts or workmanship relating to the work have failed. I've had similar with a head gasket on an engine that was rebuilt and failed after a couple of thou when the gasket gave way between a coolant and an oil channel.

Good luck
Ditchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthe619 View Post
Two weeks ago my engine seized up as I was leaving my house and heading to work (made it one block) and had to have it towed. Had it towed to a different dealership other than the one that did the original work as I wanted to see what they had to say.
Did you suspect the original dealer didn't the work properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
What kind of warranty? Was not the lifetime warranty so you had to buy a extended warranty and need to go through that company.
The 2005 came with a 7/70 Limited Powertrain Warranty. It covered the first purchaser for use of the vehicle. It are also covered the second purchaser for use of the vehicle IF the warranty was transferred. (There was a $150 transfer fee and it had to be paid within 30 days of purchase.)

The Powertrain Warranty lasted for 7 years from the original in-service date or 70,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurred first.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.