Battery or starter..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Battery or starter.....

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
JPK
2005 WK 

Battery or starter.....

05 WK LTD 4.7. 91k on the clock. Turn key and there's a buzz or rapid clicking from the starter. Took battery to get it tested but that was inconclusive. Any thoughts before I drop cash on a starter?

JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
modernblueWK

Check wiring connections on starter. Ground especially.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
giulio17

Yeah it sounds like a bad power or bad ground.
giulio17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
05 WK LTD 4.7. 91k on the clock. Turn key and there's a buzz or rapid clicking from the starter. Took battery to get it tested but that was inconclusive. Any thoughts before I drop cash on a starter?
Sounds like a bad battery. Has juice but not enough to kick the starter hard enough to start the engine.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
sickchilly
2010 WK 

1. Check connections at starter for looseness or corrosion.
2. Hit starter motor with a hammer.
3. Try again.
4. Replace battery if no start, replace starter if it starts.
5. At that age, I'd replace the battery anyway if original.
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
JPK
2005 WK 

Battery is two years old at least, that's how long ago I bought the Jeep. Looked pretty new then and still is very clean under the hood. It's a DieHard batt. Looks expensive and has something like over 700 CCA's. Funny, now it is starting but sounds like the batt is straining a bit briefly when I turn the key. I put the batt on a charger yesterday and it charged up very quickly, like about a half hour. The indicator on the charger has a meter and a green led the comes on when the batt has a full charge.

I know when NiCad batts are failing they charge up real fast but then lose charge very quickly as well.
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Took battery to get it tested but that was inconclusive.
You need to take it somewhere else. Testing a battery is not rocket science. A load test and a conductance test will tell for sure if it's good or bad. Doing both tests takes less than one minute to do, if they have the right equipment, which all decent shops should.

Checking the connections is always a good start. Aside from the connections at the starter, also clean the ones at the battery, and check the ones at the Forward Control Module.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Anon155
2005 WK 

If your battery is fine, I'd bet money it's your starter. Mine went out with no warning about a month ago and I had 75K. I tried 2 different battery checks with different results, plus a continuity test. I put my battery on a trickle charger over night, and even tried a different battery. All gave me the same results with the clicking sound coming from the starter. Tried beating it with a hammer, but no luck. I had to have mine towed to the shop. My tow guy said he's been getting a lot of our jeeps and commanders with the same issue and similar mileage. Our starters are not made to last and are ticking time bombs after 70K. You can get a new starter for 110-140 bucks + install. You can do it yourself, but be prepared for some tight working conditions.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
JKM
2005 WK 

I would start with battery and clean all connections, both at the battery and the starter and engine block (ground).
Before changing the starter, search this forum for report issues with the yellow wire on the solenoid. Basically corrosion with the terminal crimps on the wire gets corroded and can lead to no-start issues. Search for yellow wire on here.

Jason
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
JPK
2005 WK 

I will get the battery checked out shortly.....no pun intended......
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
JPK
2005 WK 

Seems it was the battery. It was over 4 years old. Cranks fine now. Battery tested that it needed a charge after I chaged it and drove it.
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post

Sounds like a bad battery. Has juice but not enough to kick the starter hard enough to start the engine.
Quote:
Seems it was the battery. It was over 4 years old. Cranks fine now. Battery tested that it needed a charge after I chaged it and drove it.
You don't say..................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Next question.....why was the charge low? Is it on it's way out, do you have an alternator problem beginning, or???? If in doubt, I would still get load and conductance tests done on it to verify the battery is not near death.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.