Battery Light in dash in WK 2008 CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Battery Light in dash in WK 2008 CRD

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAMP Research Powersteps - A Morris 4x4 Center Promotion

Unread 10-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
nerk
2008 WK 

Battery Light in dash in WK 2008 CRD

Hi everyone,

This problem started happening this summer, since then I've been driving my summer car, but winter is around the corner, so I need to get this fixed soon...

Procrastinators unite tomorrow or whenever!

Anyhow, the battery light started coming on intermittently. I took it to my uncle and he tested the battery, said its fine, tested the charging, said it works fine, he said it may be a slew of computer related problems that he doesn't have the tools to diagnose it properly.

So I hooked up my bluetooth ODB II reader to it, and mounted my cell phone, with the torque app, I'm able to read that while driving (at this point) the battery was bouncing between 11.8v - 12.2v, which would explain the intermittent light coming on... If I just cruise down the highway, it starts dropping, I think I got it down to 10.4v by the time I got home on a 40km drive. I also noticed if I run the engine at a higher rpm by down shifting it actually started charging a bit.

Am I at the point where I should be taking it to the dealer? or a ma and pop garage to get further diagnosis, or does anyone have any clue what could be wrong here?

I did call an alternator guy, he said it could be the brushes, but he doesn't usually see that sort of failure until around the 300k km mark. This jeep is only at 235k km's...

Thanks,

nerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Yeah, that voltage is way to low. My CRD is around 14.3-14.8v. It could very well be the alternator. Nothing says that they can't fail early, especially if oil drips onto it from the oil fill being directly above it. My only other suggestion would be to check the connections and wiring.
181,000+ miles!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
albertajeep
2008 WK 

Well mine decided to go on today, But I suspect it is the battery as it is still the original not bad for getting 8 years out of an original battery.
albertajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Tango.
2008 WK 

alternator, or bad ground, or wire from alternator.

Tags
alternator , battery , charging system , crd , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.