Battery Life - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Battery Life

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
JackB1
2008 WK 

Battery Life

For years I used 3 years as a reasonable battery life but things seemed to have changed. Car manufacturers have gotten vehicles to start almost immediately preserving battery life and many batteries now come with a 5 year warranty. My 08 3.6 WK battery has recently been load tested and tests out fine but I am considering a replacement. Our WK with original battery is not our main vehicle so does not see a lot of starts but at almost 6 years old I am considering a new one. Has anyone gone an extended period before replacing their battery? Will I have a sign from the battery when it is ready to die or will it be instant death possibly in an inconvenient location?

JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
magneticred
2008 WK 

You might want to hook your battery up to a charger every month or so. Lead acid batteries last longer when they maintain full or near-full charge.
magneticred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
AirborneCav
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It all depends on the cold cranking amps! I had a battery recently that appeared fine, car started and no issues. My trusted mechanic hooked it up to one if his testers and it was 'dead'. It seemed odd, but I was there and he confirmed with a new battery that the gauge was accurate. I kept that battery for a while after that until the starts got harder.
[CENTER][B][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][COLOR="Silver"]SILVER JEEP MEMBER #15[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

When its time to clean up... [url]http://www.detailedimage.com[/url]
AirborneCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My factory Mopar battery lasted 7 years, or 85k miles. There is no sign of a battery about to die. It either has enough juice to start your car or it doesn't.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
For years I used 3 years as a reasonable battery life but things seemed to have changed. Car manufacturers have gotten vehicles to start almost immediately preserving battery life and many batteries now come with a 5 year warranty. My 08 3.6 WK battery has recently been load tested and tests out fine but I am considering a replacement. Our WK with original battery is not our main vehicle so does not see a lot of starts but at almost 6 years old I am considering a new one. Has anyone gone an extended period before replacing their battery? Will I have a sign from the battery when it is ready to die or will it be instant death possibly in an inconvenient location?
My '07 OEM battery died last summer. No signs. No nothin.
It wasn't in an inconvenient place but it was an inconvenient time. :-(

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
jaje
2007 WK 

My OEM battery died at 75k miles and it was tough to diagnose as several electronic features would work sometime and now - like the auto up windows would go up but then go back down 1/2 way. It finally had a tough time cranking the engine over one morning so I looked under the hood and noted the massive corrosion on the negative terminal and then drove straight to the parts store to swap it out.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
modernblueWK

I need to replace mine before this winter. No symptoms yet but i do not want to get stranded in the snow.

My local shop sells interstate batteries. What do you think about those?
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

My battery made my XH go nuts, turning its own lights and heater fans on, not responding to the controls to turn them off, not letting me in with the remote fob. New battery fixed all of that several months ago. It was still on its original battery at 7 years and 48k.
chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
My original factory battery went after 5.5 yrs and 85K miles. Tested at 63% capacity when it went.

Odd things start to happen on the WK's when the battery is going, such as weird codes, slow starts, apparent HVAC malfunctions, etc. You won't get a lot of advance warning. In my case, I saw the charging voltage going up slowly. A failing battery also taxes the alternator so don't wait too long.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
jgump

Mine went this spring. 3.5 years, 40K miles.
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
modernblueWK

I volt tested mine with no load tonight. 12.65 volts. Peace of mind goes a long way with me. 6 months of below freezing temps makes me want to replace it before the snow flys.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
R32R1
2006 WK 

I started noticing my A/C fan would die down and surge as I came to a stop and the RPMs idled. I also noticed that cold starts would require two attempts or a very long single crank. I said f-it and bought an Optima yellow top battery (way overkill)...A/C is consistent and starts almost instantly when cold
R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
I volt tested mine with no load tonight. 12.65 volts. Peace of mind goes a long way with me. 6 months of below freezing temps makes me want to replace it before the snow flys.
Battery voltage when stopped is only one indicator. Running, it should be 13.8-14.3V. However, the battery capacity test will give you advance warning when it's about to give up the ghost. Anything below 65% means you should be in the mode of looking for a new one.

I caught a Sears DieHard Gold (Group 94R) on sale on line, store pickup, no delivery charge. Interesting because it was exactly the same store where I had been quoted a price of $45 higher and it came from the same stock room. Stupid marketing strategy IMHO but I did enjoy saving the $45.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
modernblueWK

I will get mine load tested. I just have a hard time replacing it but based on all the members here with sudden failures and my own paranoid thoughtsi just might. Ive had zero issues with it so far. It will have been in service for 6 years in sept 2013.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

I still have the original battery in my 08 CRD with 159,345 miles. I have thought about replacing it before winter. I may have it checked first but no issues so far.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.