Barking Diesel - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Barking Diesel

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #31
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy
Mine makes that high pitched squeal after it's shut off as well. The turbo actuator was replaced by the previous owner about 2 months ago, so I wouldn't think that means it's bad, right?
Normal.
That noise is from the egr throttle body reseting itself.

Unread 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #32
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
Mine makes that high pitched squeal after it's shut off as well. The turbo actuator was replaced by the previous owner about 2 months ago, so I wouldn't think that means it's bad, right?
To be clear about the squealy sound. It is newly discovered. I have been having turbo actuator trouble for a little over a month getting the P0229 code. The other day, I got the barking sound and a new code PO473 which I did not fully understand. Later I discovered the squealy sound when my wife alerted me to it. She hears everything and has not mentioned it before.

My current theory is that the actuator is now stuck in a position that causes an over boost. I can see the pressure on my guage. It easily goes up past 20psi. When I get the P0299 and limp mode, the pressure never goes above 3psi.

I would really like to see a video of a GOOD actuator on a Jeep CRD that is functioning properly at idle and also gunned to about 2100rpm. It would be great if someone would post one to satisfy this curiosity. After I get mine replace I'll post one myself but it would still be nice to have a comparison.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #33
willyok

If I get mine back from the shop tomorrow (struts) I will take a video and send it to you.

will
willyok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #34
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
Normal.
That noise is from the egr throttle body reseting itself.
That makes sense. My motorcycle makes a weird fax machine sound after it's turned off, and it's the idle stepper motor adjusting.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #35
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
To be clear about the squealy sound. It is newly discovered. I have been having turbo actuator trouble for a little over a month getting the P0229 code. The other day, I got the barking sound and a new code PO473 which I did not fully understand. Later I discovered the squealy sound when my wife alerted me to it. She hears everything and has not mentioned it before.

My current theory is that the actuator is now stuck in a position that causes an over boost. I can see the pressure on my guage. It easily goes up past 20psi. When I get the P0299 and limp mode, the pressure never goes above 3psi.

I would really like to see a video of a GOOD actuator on a Jeep CRD that is functioning properly at idle and also gunned to about 2100rpm. It would be great if someone would post one to satisfy this curiosity. After I get mine replace I'll post one myself but it would still be nice to have a comparison.
Yep, mine makes that noise too. I can probably get that video for you tomorrow or friday.
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #36
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Yep, mine makes that noise too. I can probably get that video for you tomorrow or friday.
That would be GREAT!!
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #37
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyok View Post
If I get mine back from the shop tomorrow (struts) I will take a video and send it to you.

will
That would be GREAT!!
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:47 PM   #38
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I did observe some things about my actuator before it went totally bad...

1. When operating "normally" (at least I think it was normal) it would move up and down smoothly as you jogged the fuel pedal.

2. When operating in limp mode due to under boost, it would jerk up and down erratically but never make a full stroke in either direction.... it was sort of spastic movement.

3. Now that it is dead.... it does not move at all, just wiggles a tiny bit and stops and is in the down position.

What I would like to see in a video of a good one is:

1. What happens when you turn on the ignition but before you engage the starter.
2. What position is it in when idling.
3. What position is it in when at 2100 rpm sitting in park.
4. What happen when you gun it a little from idle to say 3000 and then back off immediately.

Of course this is not scientific, but it may be helpful to others who are having actuator problems.
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #39
jaje
2007 WK 

I get mine back today or tomorrow (been at the dealer for over a week now) - I got the P0234 code (overboost) and brought it in after the 3rd time it went into limp mode over a couple days. It is almost race season so needed to get tranny flush done, fuel filter and oil change. The dealer did the normal diagnostic path by first testing the wiring harness to see if there's an issue, next they found the PCM had bad power likely from a short, which they then later traced to the turbo actuator and recommended replacing the turbo (which caused the voltage overload frying the PCM). I'm amazed that was possible. Anyway, I had them go forward with the repairs as I had it covered by an extended warranty. They also discovered a small leak from the rear main seal and did that was well.

Hope you find what you need. I've found out that Toyota Corollas (rental) you can only turn of the VSA button at speed below 30 mph then it can't be shut off. What a pity
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #40
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
I did observe some things about my actuator before it went totally bad...

1. When operating "normally" (at least I think it was normal) it would move up and down smoothly as you jogged the fuel pedal.

2. When operating in limp mode due to under boost, it would jerk up and down erratically but never make a full stroke in either direction.... it was sort of spastic movement.

3. Now that it is dead.... it does not move at all, just wiggles a tiny bit and stops and is in the down position.

What I would like to see in a video of a good one is:

1. What happens when you turn on the ignition but before you engage the starter.
2. What position is it in when idling.
3. What position is it in when at 2100 rpm sitting in park.
4. What happen when you gun it a little from idle to say 3000 and then back off immediately.

Of course this is not scientific, but it may be helpful to others who are having actuator problems.
Chirpz, here's your video, hope it helps. If there's anything else you need to see/hear, let me know and I'd be happy to help.

This is the description I put in the YouTube video: Video showing the turbo actuator moving on the Mercedes OM642 3.0 Diesel engine (application: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited WK). Goes in this order: key in ON position, start/idle, slow rev to ~2100 rpms, idle, another slow rev to ~2100 rpms, quick rev to ~3500 rpms, another quick rev to ~3500 rpms, idle, and key in OFF position.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoyDs...ature=youtu.be

Edit: You might want to turn your volume down, it's a little loud.
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #41
suzieque
2008 WK 

thats a great position for the camera jjt250, I was wondering how I could record a video for chirpz!
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #42
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
thats a great position for the camera jjt250, I was wondering how I could record a video for chirpz!
Thanks, I used my GoPro camera with the suction cup mount on the windshield and a bunch of extensions. I couldn't find a spot to put my phone without it falling.
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #43
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Chirpz, here's your video, hope it helps. If there's anything else you need to see/hear, let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoyDs...ature=youtu.be
Thank you SO much. You video covered all of my questions and showed me exactly what I needed to see. Now I know what to expect when my repair is complete.

I may want to use your video in my step by step repair guide if that's OK with you.

GoPro does an awesome job!! I'm impressed.
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #44
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Thank you SO much. You video covered all of my questions and showed me exactly what I needed to see. Now I know what to expect when my repair is complete.

I may want to use your video in my step by step repair guide if that's OK with you.

GoPro does an awesome job!! I'm impressed.
Yes of course, that's fine with me. GoPros are awesome and a lot of fun to play with. Definitely satisfied with my purchase!
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #45
Chirpz

2007 WK 

This issue is solved. I replaced the Turbo Actuator. See my thread on Turbo Actuator Replacement Step by Step. Or look in the sticky "Technical Write ups" Thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.