Barking Diesel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Barking Diesel

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 01-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Barking Diesel

Today we were out geocaching, which involves a lot of driving around with a lot of stops.
After one of the stops, when we started off, I could swear that a small dog was barking and nipping at our tires. We drove about a block and looked around... nothing in site. Started off again and there was the dog barking again. I thought for a moment that maybe a Yorkie had jumped up into the engine compartment. With no dogs in site, we did a U turn and headed off the other way. When we drove past the original spot where there were some thick bushes... the dogs we at us again.

Then I realized the the "barking" was coming from the engine and happened when the engine backed down from about 2100 RPM. We stopped, raised the hood and experimented gunning the engine. Sure enough.... it was the engine making the noise. Sounds like a small dog or a pissed off chipmunk....you decide. I made a video so you can hear the sound...but it is much louder than the video reveals.

The sound was with us all day, along with limp mode. Finally after eating out at Green Tomatoes, we headed home and suddenly, as we were driving, it was gone. Limp mode was gone too and we zoomed home with no dogs in pursuit.

At home I checked the codes recored on my Garmin Mechanic and found the P0299 that I expected but a new on P0473 was a surprise.

Click the link below to hear the barking sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuGKN...ature=youtu.be

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
sickchilly
2010 WK 

I'm gonna bet it's something fuel pressure related. Sounds similar, but not the same as in this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/3...noise-1525872/
Unread 01-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
MBDiesel
2014 WK 

Sounds like the turbo compressor to me. Stuck VNT vanes that freed themselves eventually maybe?
Unread 01-26-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
james_2k
2009 WK 

that sounds awesome,

compressor surge by the sounds of it. check this out:

i would say its definitely turbo related.
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

+1 on turbo related. Check the turbo intake pipe connection - I had a similar sound but only for a few seconds after I did the resistor mod and the intake seal was't seated quite right. Reseated and went away. my sound wasn't nearly that loud or distinctive though. Good luck. Exhaust pressure high code is odd. Did you clear it and is it still gone?
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
jediknight
2008 WK 

Very interesting. Never thought that diesels could do that sound. I always thought this sound could only be done with overboosted petrol engine. This is caused by a reversed wave pressure front from the compressor wheal spining to fast. Pressurised air has nowhere to go and tries to escape backward i.e. in direction to the atmosperic intake pipe. On petrol car we often see the addition of blowoff valve to relief the extra pressure when throttle is closed. Sounds cool but not cool. Probably stuck vanes in full load position (closed) and since they are closed here comes your hight exhaust back pressure...
Unread 01-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
jaje
2007 WK 

Hmm - Mine last week went into limp mode on the way home and threw a P0234 code which means urbo/Super Charger Overboost Condition - Manifold pressure reading above turbocharger over-boost limit detected during engine operation. So I brought it into the dealer to have them check it out and they said they traced it to the PCM (ECM) and said it was the likely culprit and if not the it's the turbo. I've got the highest level extended warranty which I'm thankful for and they've been a great company to work with. But I'm now a week out and waiting on results. I've not done any modifications to the CRD except doing the EHM vent to atmosphere and swirl motor resistor (as that threw a code last year and tnadanzig sent me some leftovers to fix it). The WK2 Ecodiesel is sounding really good now that mine will be out of warranty and I tow quite a bit for racing (and will do some even longer tows this year due to a new sponsorship on board).
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Drove the Jeep to church and elsewhere today and there was NO barking although on the way home I went into limp mode with under boost.

I ordered a new actuator tonight from XsBoost. http://www.xsboostturbochargers.com/

The price is now $400 with a $100 refund upon core return.

When I was at the dealer the other day, they would not sell the actuator separate and they want $4000++ for the Turbo.
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
suzieque
2008 WK 

I can't recall now how the VNT handles releasing the intake pressure, it does not use a BOV.

Anyway, I've been testing a method to reduce actuator temperature. That little black box gets pretty hot and I believe it's the heat that is causing the failures. I will post up a picture of my setup in case anyone else wants to try it.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Might pay to go to dealer

Wow that is an expensive turbocharger and probably not the problem. I have run many turbocharged diesels over the years and never blown a turbo yet. Wait a while and see if someone here comes up with an answer but I would go to the dealer with this.

Have you removed the intake hose to make sure the compressor wheel is turning good and not damaged? Not sure if these turbos have a wastegate but that can also be a source of trouble.
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Not sure if related by check your Elephant hose mod. Has the weather been below freezing? I have seen it happen numerous times here in Montreal with guys running these mods on VW TDI's, the hoses freeze up due to condensation and eventually blow out the turbo seals.
I keep saying it... IF you live in cold climate remove this mod at least for the winter months.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd View Post
Not sure if related by check your Elephant hose mod. Has the weather been below freezing? The hoses freeze up due to condensation and eventually blow out the turbo seals.
I use a 1" diameter hose for my EHM so it is not likely to freeze and we have not had any long hard freezes.... just a few overnights in the mid 20's. It would take a lot of condensation to fill and block my 1" hose.
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoke View Post
Wait a while and see if someone here comes up with an answer but I would go to the dealer with this.
I am 90% sure that the problem is the turbo actuator. You can watch it acting spasmodically when the symptoms are present. Anyway, at a cost of $300 for the actuator I am going to risk replacing it.

Going to our local dealer costs $130 for them just to scan it and give a quote. Their answer to most turbo problems is to replace the turbo and actuator for which they would charge over $7000 parts and labor. They will not replace just the actuator. PLUS, they pull the engine to do the job which is an unnecessary procedure.
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I ordered my turbo actuator from XsBoost. Their phone number is listed incorrectly elsewhere on this forum. The correct number is: 330-830-4075

I got this note from them.
"P.S I did notice that our phone number was wrong on the forum its 330-830-4075 not 4077"
Unread 01-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque
I can't recall now how the VNT handles releasing the intake pressure, it does not use a BOV. Anyway, I've been testing a method to reduce actuator temperature. That little black box gets pretty hot and I believe it's the heat that is causing the failures. I will post up a picture of my setup in case anyone else wants to try it.
Shoot

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.