Bang when shifting from Drive to Neutral Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Bang when shifting from Drive to Neutral Question

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
alexr40
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bang when shifting from Drive to Neutral Question

Hi guys

I am in the process of buying a 2005 WK (Jeep Grand Cherokee) Limited

Its brand new (never sold) it has 950 miles (I think it was a demo unit)

The unit is in excellent conditions. I test drove the unit and the only weird thing I noticed is a bang (strong feeling) when shifting from Drive to Neutral.

When shifting from Neutral to drive its smooth as a baby. When Disengaging the DRIVE and entering to NEUTRAL it bangs. (sounds like in the differencial or transmission). Its not THAT Strong, but its noticiable. I am used to get an engaging feeling when moving to drive, not when moving to neutral (disengaging).

You Jeep Owners. Is this normal? Does it feels that way on your grand cherokees?

The unit has a transmission that can be manually changed from gears (Electronic shifting)

thanks in advance,

Alex

alexr40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
thecommander
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

it still has a warranty.

get them to fix it before you buy it. and then demand even more off the price since it was a demo and its been broken.
thecommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Marcus86GLHS

i've never had a need to shift from drive into neutral, but i have experienced a similar noise when my '08 GC shifts up thru certain gears at very low speeds, see the info in this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/08-gc-limited-clanging-noise-shift-488534/

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
alexr40
1998 TJ Wrangler 

so you people when shift from drive to neutral you dont feel absolutely nothing, just soft/gentle disengage?
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
array

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexr40
so you people when shift from drive to neutral you dont feel absolutely nothing, just soft/gentle disengage?
yes, just gentle disengage. i ve noticed a bit harder engage and disengage, when shifting from D to N and N to D when the 4L is On.
www.cardomain.com/id/array
array is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
alexr40
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by array
yes, just gentle disengage. i ve noticed a bit harder engage and disengage, when shifting from D to N and N to D when the 4L is On.
what is the 4L ?
Unread 12-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
array

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexr40
what is the 4L ?

4Low. have also tried it with 4low?
www.cardomain.com/id/array
array is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
alexr40
1998 TJ Wrangler 

its a 05 JGC Limited (2WD) its not 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.