Ball joint question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Ball joint question

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
AIRBORNE
2000 WJ 

Ball joint question

I have a question about ball joints. I called yesterday to get price on an alignment to get my vehicle back into spec after installing the new TREs, Track bar, drag link, etc. Guy tells me that alignment is 84.99....BUT, on that model GC there are some "special" ball joints that are required sometimes to get it back into the correct tolerance. I have wiggled all the stuff under there and the ball joints seem okay to me. I have not taken it to the tire shop for the alignment yet. I am just curious if anyone else has heard of this. Sounds fishy to me.
They are a very reputable business that comes with a 4.7 out of 5 star rating. I used them for one other job. I am fairly new to this area, so I don't have a "go-to" mechanic like I do in my hometown.

AIRBORNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

He's probably talking about alignment ball joints. They have an eccentric built in to the design that allows more adjustment if needed.

If you are still at stock height and the thing hasn't been wrecked, I see absolutely no reason to need them.
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

There called adjustable ball joints.In most cases on older/higher mileage D30 front ends those inner C's are bent a little which throws off camber and caster and beside welding on new inner C's the next way to get everything back in is to install adjustable balljoints(uppers only are this way).
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
AIRBORNE
2000 WJ 

Good info. I've never heard of that. Thanks.
I'm not at stock height. OME springs and Bilstein shocks.
AIRBORNE is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.