Bad News From Midas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Bad News From Midas

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
robtre
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bad News From Midas

My wife took her 2005 WK in to Midas to get the oil changed and they came back with a list of things wrong. I was hoping to get advice from the pros here on Jeep Forum so here we go:

report says;
steering gear leeking
transmission cooler lines leaking
rear pinion lines leaking

The repair says:
Remove and replace Steering Gear
Remove and replace Rear Pinion Shaft Seal

Im not handy in the slightest bit nor do I have tools. I am confident the transmission is covered under my extended warranty but what about the rest?
Is it serious? Who should I trust to fix this? This Jeep is responsible for transporting my wife and daughter Id hate for something terrible to happen.

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
robtre
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Please someone advise
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

I can't help with the specifics since I can't crawl under your Jeep, but always get a second opinion from another shop.
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

all thoose are drive train components i think warranty
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Hahaha, its Midas. Take it to a real shop with real mechanics whose main job is not to sell you crap you dont need. If your tranny cooler lines were leaking you would know pretty darn quick. Are there fuild stains around the front of the Jeep and under the rear diff?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtre View Post
Please someone advise
really, 6 minutes and your already asking again. it would be like going to walmart and them telling you the same thing. go to a real shop that isnt comission based
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
robtre
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
all thoose are drive train components i think warranty
I hope you are right. I bought the extended warranty because I heard that the 2005 was infamous for these things
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
I bought the extended warranty because I heard that the 2005 was infamous for these things
Honestly, and it doesn't mean much, but my '05 with 60K miles has only been in the shop once. What kind of warranty is it? If you're covered let the dealership figure it all out... it's why you bought the warranty in the first place, no?
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Glenzo
2005 WK 

The trans cooler lines are a common problem. Difficult to replace and special tool is needed. There is a new upgraded part # they will install. Had mine done recently but was not covered by warranty. Belts and hoses are not covered. Cost was around $200 and change if I remember correctly.
Glenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't trust the guys at a Midas to tell me what time it is....

Look where you park the vehicle... if you have any substantial leaks you'll see fresh stains. Peek under the vehicle yourself and look for "wet spots" due to fluid leakage.

If you don't know of a reputable shop to get a 2nd opinion take it to the dealer and ask them to look at it. All else fails, they will know if anything is wrong and tell you what is (or isn't) covered under warranty. If you tell them what Midas told you they will probably at least look at it for little / no cost.

JW

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.