Bad alternator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Bad alternator?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
stang6586

Bad alternator?

After having used the radio for about 5hrs off of the battery I'm thinking my alternator has gone bad. The jeep started fine having a recently replaced battery but began to have a whining sound after driving it a few miles and the battery light on the dash illuminated. Went to take it to get the code pulled and the battery is dead as a doornail. this is what I found under the hood. The plastic melted around the bolt and post and then I'm assuming dripped into the alternator. Could this just happen or am I likely looking at a short?

Thanks for the time
a1.jpg

a2.jpg

stang6586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

Could be,
Was the battery not fully charged when you put it in? Installing a new or replacement battery that is not fully charged can result in alternator death.
Blue WK Club Member #10

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 Liter Hemi no Mods So Far.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator , melt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.