Bad AC Compressor? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Xmind
2007 WK 

Bad AC Compressor?

So never had an issue with the AC in our 2007 GC in the 3 years we've owned it. Last month though, my wife was driving with the AC on, then she heard a noise and right after the cold air turned ambient warm air. It hasn't worked since. I hooked up a gauge and the low side port was way over pressure.

So is there a valve that is bad, or am I looking at having to replace the entire AC compressor?

'07 GC CRD QDII, EHM, GDE ECO, DPF & intake rez delete, Paramount Perf Valve Body, Roof drain mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2016, 11:11 PM
JRLT
2010 WK 

Orifice tube is blocked, high pressure can't get to low, low pressure building up.

2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
post #3 of 11 Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 AM
usc96

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLT View Post
Orifice tube is blocked, high pressure can't get to low, low pressure building up.
Was literally just dealing with this yesterday, gauge put me in the red as well. Are you able to explain how to fix this issue or??
post #4 of 11 Old 06-22-2016, 10:41 AM
JRLT
2010 WK 

Gotta drain the system, new orifice tube/expansion valve, refill the system.

2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
post #5 of 11 Old 06-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Nejeep

If you find the orifice tube is blocked with metal chips, most likely your compressor is on its way out.

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
post #6 of 11 Old 06-25-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Xmind
2007 WK 

Thanks for the info. I ordered a new expansion valve and I'll take a look for any debris....keeping fingers crossed that it is clean though.....slight difference of a $20 expansion valve versus a $400 compressor....

'07 GC CRD QDII, EHM, GDE ECO, DPF & intake rez delete, Paramount Perf Valve Body, Roof drain mod
post #7 of 11 Old 06-25-2016, 05:26 PM
dellis
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmind View Post
Thanks for the info. I ordered a new expansion valve and I'll take a look for any debris....keeping fingers crossed that it is clean though.....slight difference of a $20 expansion valve versus a $400 compressor....
Anytime that you are opening up an AC system, you will also need to purchase and install a drier/accumulator.

Also, just because the low pressure port is high, doesn't mean that the orifice is blocked. You should be looking at both low and high pressures with a gauge set (you may be doing this, but I'm writing this just in case). For example, the low pressure port will be high if the system is not running, and it will equal the high pressure side. If you turn on the system and see ...

1. The low pressure side go way down (say below 20 or 15) and the high pressure side go way up (both more than normal), then this indicates a restriction.
2. No change in either pressure regardless of on or off, then your compressor is not compressing ... you might have a failed clutch or electrical issue.
3. The high pressure side increases to normal, but the low pressure side is higher than expected, then this might indicate a stuck open orifice.
4. The low pressure side is higher than normal (say in the 40 to 50 range), but the high pressure side is lower than normal (say 100 to 150), then this might indicate a compressor weakness.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-26-2016, 05:49 AM
Turbonut1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmind View Post
So never had an issue with the AC in our 2007 GC in the 3 years we've owned it. Last month though, my wife was driving with the AC on, then she heard a noise and right after the cold air turned ambient warm air. It hasn't worked since. I hooked up a gauge and the low side port was way over pressure.

So is there a valve that is bad, or am I looking at having to replace the entire AC compressor?
Guess my first question is if the unit isn't working how could you properly check low side pressure? If you checked when the unit is not working, low side will be high. Pressures need to be checked with system operating.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Xmind
2007 WK 

Sorry, late to follow up, but bought a high pressure gauge so measure that as well. So regardless if the AC system is running or not, the low side pressure is equal to the high side and it stays around 120 PSI on each. The needles never move. Release pressure on one side and the other side drops the same amount. So looks like I'm going to order a new compressor after all.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-15-2016, 08:19 AM
bobbylx

2008 WK 

Does the compressor clutch engage when you have it all running? Could be defective low pressure switch, or if you've done any radiator work lately, you could have knocked the connector off the low pressure switch.
Look under the silver canister on the front left side, attached to the radiator. The plug attaches from the bottom. Might be worth jumpering it and seeing if anything changes.
Attached Thumbnails
diesel-engine.jpg  

2008 Overland 5.7 Hemi
Modified Rusty's lift
JK Moabs/Nittos
Black WK Club #136
post #11 of 11 Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 PM
dellis
2005 WK 

Yep, like Bobbylx wrote, before ripping out the compressor, first check to make sure that power is applied to the clutch ... this might as simple as a fuse issue.

1998 ZJ, 4.0 // 2005 WK Limited, 4.7 // 2008 KK 3.7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.