Back in a Jeep! First things first..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Back in a Jeep! First things first.....

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
tkc
1996 ZJ 

Back in a Jeep! First things first.....

Well, work forced me to move from San Jose, CA to Dallas TX and I've discovered how unfriendly the roads are here to big rim, low profile, lowered cars. So when shopping for a daily, I wanted a Jeep again.

This time, I got a used 2005 WK 4x4 with the 5.7L and here she is:

I'm leaning towards going for a slightly lifted, off road look since I already have the lowered, low profile style car. I would really appreciate all the input and suggestions

- First, I hate the way these wheels & tires look. I hate the chrome and the set up just looks way too small in there with too much wheel gap. The important thing is I want to keep it comfortable since it's a daily driver that has to look professional enough to take people around once in a while.

- This Jeep is massive and feels like it doesn't want to stop. I'm looking into some big brake kits, but haven't had any luck finding one from stoptech, baer, etc.

- The Jeep also feels incredibly wobbly so I want to keep the ride as comfortable as possible, but I need to improve the handling on her big time. I started looking at everything like SRT springs with Bilstiens, air ride kits, and coilovers. Haven't really found much that's made specifically for my application, so I don't know which way I'm going with this yet and need to keep looking around.

- When I turn on the HVAC, the inside starts to smell like exhaust fumes, so I need to figure out what's causing that issue.

- I seem to have the hemi tick that I've seen mentioned a lot on here, so I need to look into that.

- The 6 disc in dash doesn't work, the nav joystick is broken, and the nav disc is missing, so I'm just looking for a double-din to replace the whole thing.

- The last 2 days, the wipers would cycle once when I start the engine and once when I shut down. I read a lot about possibly faulty switch, faulty sensor, etc. so I need to look into this. However, it didn't do it this morning, so maybe it's not a big deal.

- The ebrake handle pulls so far up I'm almost into the back seat! I read there's no adjusting it and that if this is the issue, the parking brake just needs to be replaced, so I'll be working on that.

- The Jeep has really dark tint and at night, backing out of parking spaces and stuff, I might as well be blindfolded. I'm not sure if the auto-tint rear view is the issue, but when I turn it off, it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also, is there a way to set it so it defaults to OFF rather than auto?

- Passenger window is really slow, so I probably need to replace the regulator.

- The dash constantly reads that the spare tire is low, but I think it's just the TPMS since the air is fine. I don't really care, but I just wish I could get the dash to stay on what I leave it on, like the direction screen or the miles left til empty.

Anyway, I really just wanted to make my to do list, but I appreciate anyone's feedback and input! Have a great weekend everyone.

tkc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
tkc
1996 ZJ 

Update....

- I got the 2" RC lift today, along with some 1.5" spacers.
- Installed a black grill to replace the chrome one.
- Picked up a set of LED lights (AWESOME vendor, by the way. Included his card in the pic)
- Installed an intake
- Picked up a set of headlight covers but still need to paint them.
- Picked up a set of Rubicon wheels, but because of the A-arm bolt sitting millimeters from the tire, I have to wait until the lift & spacers are installed before I can put them back on.

Here are some pics:

Black Grill and Intake installed:

L.E.D. Lights, awesome vendor!!

Set the headlight covers in place, just to see what they will look like. I know it's not fully fitted on, I just set them there for now to see how it will look.

Put one of the wheels on, but found out I can't run until I put spacers & lift on.

Here's how close the tire is to the A-arm bolt.
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
tkc
1996 ZJ 

Oh, and an update to my list:

Quote:
- When I turn on the HVAC, the inside starts to smell like exhaust fumes, so I need to figure out what's causing that issue.
Discovered that there is no cabin filter installed in this Jeep. Placed an order for one.

Quote:
- I seem to have the hemi tick that I've seen mentioned a lot on here, so I need to look into that.
I did the Seafoam cleaning, followed by an oil and filter change to Mobile 1 full synthetic. The tick was still there for a few days but now it's gone.

Quote:
- The last 2 days, the wipers would cycle once when I start the engine and once when I shut down. I read a lot about possibly faulty switch, faulty sensor, etc. so I need to look into this. However, it didn't do it this morning, so maybe it's not a big deal.
After a rainy day last week, the wipers started acting up again. It's been almost a week now and they still cycle every time I start/stop the Jeep. VERY annoying.

Quote:
- The ebrake handle pulls so far up I'm almost into the back seat! I read there's no adjusting it and that if this is the issue, the parking brake just needs to be replaced, so I'll be working on that.

- Passenger window is really slow, so I probably need to replace the regulator.

- The dash constantly reads that the spare tire is low, but I think it's just the TPMS since the air is fine. I don't really care, but I just wish I could get the dash to stay on what I leave it on, like the direction screen or the miles left til empty.
Haven't had a chance to tackle these yet.

Unread 05-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
longboy
2006 WK 

Just found your thread and looks like a nice setup! I'm really digging the newer Rubicon wheels on WKs.

I need to do the Seafoam treatment on my WK sometime soon as well. Keep us posted on what you find with your power window. One of mine goes slowly up and down also-
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
gemiller
2008 WK 

I got awfully close on my setup too, so I just cut the bolt off, I figure the next time I'm on the ball joints I'll be using my impact gun and i'll be going with the JBA arms anyway.

I haven't had any lucks on brakes, either, I really noticed a difference with the 285/70/17 especially when towing. It's not really the stopping force that concerns me, its the overheating though. Anyway, nice start, looks good!
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
scootter82
2009 WK 

I always wondered why that bolt was so long! Anyone know? Also, do the JBA a-arms get rid of that particular issue?
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ Not sure why the OEM bolt is so long but the aftermarket arms have a shorter bolt and castle nut IIRC.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
scootter82
2009 WK 

Sweet. One more reason for me to want them, lol.
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
JRLT
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc View Post
There is an adjuster wheel on the back of the brakes. You just got to pop off a little rubber cover and adjust with a flat-head screwdriver. But you should take the rotor off and see if you have any ebrake pads left.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

The bolt is there so that you can get a wrench on it in case the ball joint spins while you are trying to remove the nut. If you went to remove the nut and it started spinning and there was no place to get a wrench on to hold it, you would be in for a bad day.

So if you are installing a BB are you planning on upgrading the struts and shocks too? You mentioned that you are not happy with the handling and installing a BB without new shocks will just make it worse. Take a look at the Bilstein HD struts.

Also it's not a big brake kit, but I would highly recommend upgrading to Stillen rotors. I love mine and you can get them from a vender here named Kolak for a great price.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
gemiller
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
The bolt is there so that you can get a wrench on it in case the ball joint spins while you are trying to remove the nut. If you went to remove the nut and it started spinning and there was no place to get a wrench on to hold it, you would be in for a bad day.
Yup, Omelet said it. However my experience has been if its so tight that an impact gun isn't getting it unstuck then there's bigger issues to contend with.

Worst case scenario is just cut em off. Normally they aren't one piece into the a-arm, which is a bad design imo on the wk, but thats why the jba arms are the way to go anyway, especially if you aren't doing the superlift and want to correct the joint angle.
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
tkc
1996 ZJ 

Thank you all for the great posts and advice!!

I spent the whole day yesterday wrenching and I'm exhausted! Not having airtools and just working in my apartment garage sucks.

Anyway, I got the 2" lift installed in the front, spacers all around, wheels installed, front air dam removed...... but was too tired to get the rear part of the lift installed.

Still wanted to take it out and see how she drove/looked. Liking it so far.

(Colored in the area where the headlight covers go.... didn't have time to paint them yet but wanted to see how it will look.)
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #13
stipo
2010 WK 

Where did you get the headlight covers? I have recently installed an arb bar on mine, & because it's a 2010 model the lights are slightly different, but your covers appear to be just the trick needed to fill the gap between the bar & the headlights
stipo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
tkc
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipo View Post
Where did you get the headlight covers? I have recently installed an arb bar on mine, & because it's a 2010 model the lights are slightly different, but your covers appear to be just the trick needed to fill the gap between the bar & the headlights
Stillen is where i got them. Takes a bit because they don't seem to have stock, but instead had to email me and tell me that they are making them and would be shipped soon.
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
tkc
1996 ZJ 

Installed some stuff including the front guard plate. I think I'll be looking into upgrading the brakes next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.