Axle Lubricant - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
rneal55555
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NH, Milton
Posts: 21
Axle Lubricant

Tried searching but wore my eyes out looking through I'm changing out the actuator in the rear differential $25 a quart. I'm going to do the frint end and transfer case while I'm unde there.

The question is he sold me the oil but no additive, I asked about it, he said I didn't need it. I was under the impression that I did any thoughts?

The guy had to have the VIN to look it up so you would think he's got it right but my gut is saying it's not.

rneal55555 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Jeepforthewin
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rneal55555
Tried searching but wore my eyes out looking through I'm changing out the actuator in the rear differential $25 a quart. I'm going to do the frint end and transfer case while I'm unde there. The question is he sold me the oil but no additive, I asked about it, he said I didn't need it. I was under the impression that I did any thoughts? The guy had to have the VIN to look it up so you would think he's got it right but my gut is saying it's not.
Which diff do you have?

2010 JKU - Stock for now
2005 WK - 6" lift, 35" BFG's, a lot more (SOLD)
Jeepforthewin is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
rneal55555
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NH, Milton
Posts: 21
corporate with Electronic Limited Slip
rneal55555 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Walt
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midland
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by rneal55555 View Post
corporate with Electronic Limited Slip
This should help: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#FAXLE

Need 2 qts of Mobil1 85W-140 synthetic gear oil and 1 bottle of MOPAR friction modifier (dealer-only item) per axle.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 02:58 PM
BAH101
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt
This should help: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#FAXLE Need 2 qts of Mobil1 85W-140 synthetic gear oil and 1 bottle of MOPAR friction modifier (dealer-only item) per axle.
One of the 'few' inexpensive things from the dealer.

2008 CRD QDII, OME HD, Pintlers wheels with 265/70/17 Goodyear Silent Armour's, Jeepinbyal UCA's. 4XGuard Front guard, Side Guard, belly guard, Matrix HC. GDE ECO Tune w/ delete.
BAH101 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 04:07 PM
marka2k
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 652
I use 75W140 (mobil 1 or Royal Purple) and 4oz of friction modifier/limited slip additive per axle from Autozone 140K miles and no issues, not sure where the 85W140 came from or maybe a typo?

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland

04 Rubicon

2000 Grand Cherokee

2006 Commander Limited - Wife's
marka2k is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Walt
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midland
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by marka2k View Post
......... not sure where the 85W140 came from or maybe a typo?
Sat on my shelf for a while and aged.........fat-fingered adjacent keys and didn't proof-read. The WK site is correct.

Mobil only makes one synthetic gear lubricant in this viscosity range. Here's the link:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...75W-140LS.aspx I'm sure that there are other brands that are good also. I get the Mobil-1 at $14-15 per quart on sale.

I'm always mildly amused that MOPAR specifies synthetic lubricants for everything except the 5.7L HEMI lube oil, where dino oil is acceptable. My '08 HEMI came from the factory that way, so I used it as a break-in oil during the inital warranty period. After that, I switched to full synthetic.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 09:07 PM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Sat on my shelf for a while and aged.........fat-fingered adjacent keys and didn't proof-read. The WK site is correct.

Mobil only makes one synthetic gear lubricant in this viscosity range. Here's the link:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...75W-140LS.aspx I'm sure that there are other brands that are good also. I get the Mobil-1 at $14-15 per quart on sale.

I'm always mildly amused that MOPAR specifies synthetic lubricants for everything except the 5.7L HEMI lube oil, where dino oil is acceptable. My '08 HEMI came from the factory that way, so I used it as a break-in oil during the inital warranty period. After that, I switched to full synthetic.
Syn gear oil is good for 3 things................

-MPG's,a whole 10th more(any to help achieve federal mpg standards)
-Causing axle seal leaks
-wasting diffs before or at around 100k if not changed very often if you tow or wheel


85w-140 dino gear oil,do both diffs for the price of 3/4 of one using syn and your diffs will love you for longer.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Walt
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midland
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Syn gear oil is good for 3 things................
-MPG's,a whole 10th more(any to help achieve federal mpg standards)
-Causing axle seal leaks
-wasting diffs before or at around 100k if not changed very often if you tow or wheel....
...and there is a 4th one:

Maintaining the lifetime powertrain warranty. Jeep specifies synthetic gear oil for the differentials for my '08 WK with QTII. I maintain a record to show that I comply with that requirement.
Saved me when the rear driveshaft and pinion seal failed; it was all covered under the powertrain warranty because I was able to demonstrate that the maintenance requirements had been met. Repair bill would have been over $1,400.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome