Axle Lubricant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Axle Lubricant

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 09-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
rneal55555
2006 WK 

Axle Lubricant

Tried searching but wore my eyes out looking through I'm changing out the actuator in the rear differential $25 a quart. I'm going to do the frint end and transfer case while I'm unde there.

The question is he sold me the oil but no additive, I asked about it, he said I didn't need it. I was under the impression that I did any thoughts?

The guy had to have the VIN to look it up so you would think he's got it right but my gut is saying it's not.

rneal55555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rneal55555
Tried searching but wore my eyes out looking through I'm changing out the actuator in the rear differential $25 a quart. I'm going to do the frint end and transfer case while I'm unde there. The question is he sold me the oil but no additive, I asked about it, he said I didn't need it. I was under the impression that I did any thoughts? The guy had to have the VIN to look it up so you would think he's got it right but my gut is saying it's not.
Which diff do you have?
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
rneal55555
2006 WK 

corporate with Electronic Limited Slip
rneal55555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rneal55555 View Post
corporate with Electronic Limited Slip
This should help: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#FAXLE

Need 2 qts of Mobil1 85W-140 synthetic gear oil and 1 bottle of MOPAR friction modifier (dealer-only item) per axle.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt
This should help: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#FAXLE Need 2 qts of Mobil1 85W-140 synthetic gear oil and 1 bottle of MOPAR friction modifier (dealer-only item) per axle.
One of the 'few' inexpensive things from the dealer.
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
marka2k

2006 WK 

I use 75W140 (mobil 1 or Royal Purple) and 4oz of friction modifier/limited slip additive per axle from Autozone 140K miles and no issues, not sure where the 85W140 came from or maybe a typo?

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland
MyGiG RER
OEM Parkview Rear Camera
4xGuard Matrix
4XGuard Front Skid
4XGuard Rock Rails
HID Projector
2" Lift

04 TJ Rubicon Silver
Rokmen Fuel Tank Skid
Rokmen Front Skid
Rokmen Tummy Tuck
Novak Shifter
Ground Pounder Fab Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
marka2k is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka2k View Post
......... not sure where the 85W140 came from or maybe a typo?
Sat on my shelf for a while and aged.........fat-fingered adjacent keys and didn't proof-read. The WK site is correct.

Mobil only makes one synthetic gear lubricant in this viscosity range. Here's the link:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...75W-140LS.aspx I'm sure that there are other brands that are good also. I get the Mobil-1 at $14-15 per quart on sale.

I'm always mildly amused that MOPAR specifies synthetic lubricants for everything except the 5.7L HEMI lube oil, where dino oil is acceptable. My '08 HEMI came from the factory that way, so I used it as a break-in oil during the inital warranty period. After that, I switched to full synthetic.
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Sat on my shelf for a while and aged.........fat-fingered adjacent keys and didn't proof-read. The WK site is correct.

Mobil only makes one synthetic gear lubricant in this viscosity range. Here's the link:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...75W-140LS.aspx I'm sure that there are other brands that are good also. I get the Mobil-1 at $14-15 per quart on sale.

I'm always mildly amused that MOPAR specifies synthetic lubricants for everything except the 5.7L HEMI lube oil, where dino oil is acceptable. My '08 HEMI came from the factory that way, so I used it as a break-in oil during the inital warranty period. After that, I switched to full synthetic.
Syn gear oil is good for 3 things................

-MPG's,a whole 10th more(any to help achieve federal mpg standards)
-Causing axle seal leaks
-wasting diffs before or at around 100k if not changed very often if you tow or wheel

85w-140 dino gear oil,do both diffs for the price of 3/4 of one using syn and your diffs will love you for longer.
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Syn gear oil is good for 3 things................
-MPG's,a whole 10th more(any to help achieve federal mpg standards)
-Causing axle seal leaks
-wasting diffs before or at around 100k if not changed very often if you tow or wheel....
...and there is a 4th one:

Maintaining the lifetime powertrain warranty. Jeep specifies synthetic gear oil for the differentials for my '08 WK with QTII. I maintain a record to show that I comply with that requirement.
Saved me when the rear driveshaft and pinion seal failed; it was all covered under the powertrain warranty because I was able to demonstrate that the maintenance requirements had been met. Repair bill would have been over $1,400.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.