JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Axle Lubricant (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/axle-lubricant-1611369/)

rneal55555 09-22-2013 09:15 AM

Axle Lubricant
 
Tried searching but wore my eyes out looking through I'm changing out the actuator in the rear differential $25 a quart. I'm going to do the frint end and transfer case while I'm unde there.

The question is he sold me the oil but no additive, I asked about it, he said I didn't need it. I was under the impression that I did any thoughts?

The guy had to have the VIN to look it up so you would think he's got it right but my gut is saying it's not.

Jeepforthewin 09-22-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rneal55555
Tried searching but wore my eyes out looking through I'm changing out the actuator in the rear differential $25 a quart. I'm going to do the frint end and transfer case while I'm unde there. The question is he sold me the oil but no additive, I asked about it, he said I didn't need it. I was under the impression that I did any thoughts? The guy had to have the VIN to look it up so you would think he's got it right but my gut is saying it's not.

Which diff do you have?

rneal55555 09-22-2013 09:51 AM

corporate with Electronic Limited Slip

Walt 09-22-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rneal55555 (Post 16218617)
corporate with Electronic Limited Slip

This should help: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#FAXLE

Need 2 qts of Mobil1 85W-140 synthetic gear oil and 1 bottle of MOPAR friction modifier (dealer-only item) per axle.

BAH101 09-22-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt
This should help: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#FAXLE Need 2 qts of Mobil1 85W-140 synthetic gear oil and 1 bottle of MOPAR friction modifier (dealer-only item) per axle.

One of the 'few' inexpensive things from the dealer.

marka2k 09-22-2013 04:07 PM

I use 75W140 (mobil 1 or Royal Purple) and 4oz of friction modifier/limited slip additive per axle from Autozone 140K miles and no issues, not sure where the 85W140 came from or maybe a typo?

Walt 09-22-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marka2k (Post 16226825)
......... not sure where the 85W140 came from or maybe a typo?

Sat on my shelf for a while and aged...:D......fat-fingered adjacent keys and didn't proof-read. :( The WK site is correct. :thumbsup:

Mobil only makes one synthetic gear lubricant in this viscosity range. Here's the link:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...75W-140LS.aspx I'm sure that there are other brands that are good also. I get the Mobil-1 at $14-15 per quart on sale.

I'm always mildly amused that MOPAR specifies synthetic lubricants for everything except the 5.7L HEMI lube oil, where dino oil is acceptable. My '08 HEMI came from the factory that way, so I used it as a break-in oil during the inital warranty period. After that, I switched to full synthetic.

tjkj2002 09-22-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt (Post 16227777)
Sat on my shelf for a while and aged...:D......fat-fingered adjacent keys and didn't proof-read. :( The WK site is correct. :thumbsup:

Mobil only makes one synthetic gear lubricant in this viscosity range. Here's the link:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...75W-140LS.aspx I'm sure that there are other brands that are good also. I get the Mobil-1 at $14-15 per quart on sale.

I'm always mildly amused that MOPAR specifies synthetic lubricants for everything except the 5.7L HEMI lube oil, where dino oil is acceptable. My '08 HEMI came from the factory that way, so I used it as a break-in oil during the inital warranty period. After that, I switched to full synthetic.

Syn gear oil is good for 3 things................

-MPG's,a whole 10th more(any to help achieve federal mpg standards)
-Causing axle seal leaks
-wasting diffs before or at around 100k if not changed very often if you tow or wheel


85w-140 dino gear oil,do both diffs for the price of 3/4 of one using syn and your diffs will love you for longer.

Walt 09-29-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 (Post 16234897)
Syn gear oil is good for 3 things................
-MPG's,a whole 10th more(any to help achieve federal mpg standards)
-Causing axle seal leaks
-wasting diffs before or at around 100k if not changed very often if you tow or wheel....

...and there is a 4th one:

Maintaining the lifetime powertrain warranty. Jeep specifies synthetic gear oil for the differentials for my '08 WK with QTII. I maintain a record to show that I comply with that requirement.
Saved me when the rear driveshaft and pinion seal failed; it was all covered under the powertrain warranty because I was able to demonstrate that the maintenance requirements had been met. Repair bill would have been over $1,400.


The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.