automatic transmission (W5A580) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > automatic transmission (W5A580)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
urezki
2005 WK 

automatic transmission (W5A580)

Hello folks.

I have a Jeep WK 2005 3.7L with W5A580 transmission on it. Recently i have noticed a small knock/kick while shifting a gear from P to R, it happens when the engine is cold in the morning.

After a bit driving there is yet a small knock, but not so strong in comparison with "cold" engine.

My questions:
1) Has anyone faced such issue ? Is it normal behavior ?
2) When should i change a transmission fluid ? Should i ?
3) Is measurement of a trans level should be performed when engine is started ?

urezki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
JKM
2005 WK 

fluid should be measure when warm (see manual for instructions). Some 2005 models have dipsticks while others must be checked by the dealer. These transmissions are know to have a faulty seal on an electrical plug that will cause the transmission to leak and these transmissions are fussy when it comes to fluid level.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
urezki
2005 WK 

My model has a dipstick on it. While measurement the level is inside the safe area. Don't see any leaks under the car, but still hear a small knock in case of P ---> R.

While normal driving, the transmission switches the gears very well and smoothly itself from 1 up to 5.
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
meep
2008 WK 

how many miles on yours? mine has started just acting different recently in very mild ways. i don't think many folks would notice. Like yours, it acts differently generally only when cold.

1. sluggish to engage into D when cold
2. might not shift as precise when cold
3. might flare 1-->2 shift when cold
4. occasionally snaps into gear

none of these worry me too much. the trans is so smooth it's easy to notice when it misses a beat. no fluid loss that I can tell. just seems picky. I do wonder if the fluid is starting to age (20,000 miles, 1.5 years old). Might swap in some amsoil and see how it behaves.

M
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
urezki
2005 WK 

Mine is 5 years old with 104,000 miles. The problem is that i bought my jeep recently and i don't
know whether a former owner has changed any fluids. The display just inform me, that next service should be performed in 6,000 kilometers. Also there is a service note/book and i see that a car have been serviced just up to 30,000 miles after that vaguely future.

As for fluid changing in the transmission, i have not found any notes when i should change it. Please point me to such info.

Thanks.
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
meep
2008 WK 

IIRC it's 100,000 miles for "light duty" use, 60, 30, 30... for heavy duty use. I may be wrong. If I were you I'd change it... most folks don't bother. More specifically, I would drop the pan and change the internal filter. If there's an external spin-on I'd change it too. Replace pan. At that point you can either flush the rest of the fluid (I'd do this) or just refill with ATF. If you refill (no flush), I'd do another cpl of drain/fills sooner over the next year. It's an expensive piece of hardware-- I wouldn't skimp on the maintenance.
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
urezki
2005 WK 

Thanks for your info i will keep it in mind. So, another two last questions:

Is it possible to determine whether a fluid in transmission is fresh ? I mean, I pull a dipstick and examine a level of fluid, color and smell. In my case, the fluid is not so thick, there is no slash while smelling and it has fresh red tint, i.e. i am not an expert but from my point of view it looks like healthy fluid. Please correct me if i am mistaken.

There is a message "6,000 km to service". What does this message control ? Changing an engine oil or something else ?
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
meep
2008 WK 

you can only really tell if it's burnt or grossly bad or contaminated. visual and smell inspection will not give you any indication of additive health, friction modifier properties, wear additives, etc.. You can inspect the gasket around the pan and see if it looks factory or has been replaced. replaced means it's been serviced at least once.
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
urezki
2005 WK 

Ok meep, i will look around the pan. And thank you for your helpful advices which help me to investigate my vehicle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.