Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Automatic lights

13K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  kryton 
#1 ·
Anyone know if it's possible to add the automatic headlights to an 07 WK Laredo? I had an 01 WJ Limited and I really miss this feature.

Let me know if you have any ideas. :2thumbsup:

Todd

#3 ·
Do the '07s not have the A on the headlight switch? My '05 certainly does...

#5 ·
I added the factory fog lights to my WK and the new turn signal stalk had the automatic light function but it dosent work. You need an additional sensor or module in addition to the turn signal stalk to get them to work. When I click over to the automatic function, the lights dont work.

#7 ·
i would love to add it to mine too. thats the one thing i miss about my 02 celica is the auto headlights... well that and the manual tranny, but the slap stick the WK has is the next best thing.

#9 ·
Ok just got back from the dealer, the solar sensor is part number 56050241AB and costs $5.75, the multi function switch part number 5143313AF (Turn signal lever) is $50.45.

So the costs aren't terrible, now my question is does it need programmed in the computer or will it recognize it? Any dealer techs out there that would know. Maybe the computer has to be swapped. Let me know if anyone else knows.

Thanks,

Todd

#10 ·
Hi
Not done this so not sure it will work but suspect it will need programming as the switch goes to the SCM (steering control module) the FCM (front control module) control the lights and get a signal from the SCM that the switch is in A position it then get a light reading from the rain sensor behind the mirror and decides if the lights are needed.
Regards,
Merlin

#15 ·
Hi
It’s Chrysler Jeep and Dodge but a lot do mix with other makes mostly Mercedes. Myself we share with VW (good for caliber, patriot and compass) but we could hold our own. The staff don’t mix between makes at my dealership but think others do. Most UK dealer lost money last year and some have gone, I am lucky been the top selling dealer 3 years running.
Regards,
Merlin

#18 ·
Hi
Just realised can’t do this in the UK as we have rear fog lamps. On our vehicles with auto lamp the fog light switch is in the upper switch pack below the radio. On vehicles without auto lamps the fog light switch is on the light switch. So would be almost impossible to change.
drysuitdiver is your fog lamp switch on the light switch?
Regards,
Merlin

#19 ·
Hi
Just realised can't do this in the UK as we have rear fog lamps. On our vehicles with auto lamp the fog light switch is in the upper switch pack below the radio. On vehicles without auto lamps the fog light switch is on the light switch. So would be almost impossible to change.
drysuitdiver is your fog lamp switch on the light switch?
Regards,
Merlin
on the lighting stalk attached to the steering wheel.

fiddle, took an hour or so to get SWMBO to agree to it.

ah well thats life

#25 ·
Call me the necromancer....Dead threads are being brought back to life! :)

Working in the automotive industry I'm sure this is possible, but it seems like we're looking at a new stalk switch, a sensor and a wiring lead for the sensor. Possibly a relay and/or a fuse and then a rescan or (i'm hoping tis isn't the case) a new module.

Before I get to tearing the IP out of my car to find out for myself, has anyone done this research to figure out what is required for this install?

#27 ·
I went from my Jeep Grand Cherokee to a Mazda CX-5, and it didn't have automatic lights. At first, I was rather non-plussed about that, but now I just leave them on 100% of the time, and really, I think it's safer/better for visibility sake, especially in some conditions where auto-lights may or may not be on, but the safe money is having them on. Why not just do that? I have and it's done me a solid, is there a reason this won't work in a Jeep?

#28 ·
Thread from the dead. Does anyone that has retrofitted the auto lights know how many wires should be coming from this sensor (56050241AB)? Before I order the multifunction switch, I just want to make sure that it is likely to work in my car

I've just pulled the dome in the dash & I have 3 wires on mine if that helps? Don't know the purpose of this part as I don't have the auto lights

Thanks in advance

Chris

#30 ·
This is possible but different procedure for export vehicles to US spec. I'ev posted whats required here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/dash-wire-help-4216978/#

Posting this in all relevant threads as took me months to sort and spent $100s on wasted parts to do it (don't like admitting defeat), so at least that way others that stumble upon the threads can benefit by having exact info on how to if they want to do it or maybe not bother and save some money

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.