Automatic Headlight Leveling System - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Automatic Headlight Leveling System

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
michiganmike
2008 WK 

Thanks for the comment.

I read on another Forum, a suggestion to disconnect the battery for ten minutes or more. I tried that and it seemed to work, but the next day the lights are still low.....I can drive with the high beams on , no one notices.
I dread taking it to any Dealer with the question " Do you have any experience working on HID lighting systems and automatic headlight leveling?"

will tow the new one behind the Motorhome.
michiganmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #17
SilentDrifter
2008 WK 

So my Jeep is doing the same thing, where the headlights are pointing down. If I go in the front of my driveway, which from all the snow, sits about a foot higher than the road. It can sort itself out, due to the angle of the Jeep.

Assuming it's the module, that sits underneath the passenger headlight, that's causing this issue. Can I just order this part #55079008AG, and it should start working correctly?

Edit: I disconnected the negative cable from the battery, and installed the module, that I linked to above. After putting everything back together, started it up, and everything is working just fine now. Headlights seem to be aiming correctly now. Now I'm not sure if I could have just unhooked the battery, to see if that could have reset it that way. Either way it's working now, so I'm happy.

Last edited by SilentDrifter; 03-16-2014 at 09:51 PM..
SilentDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #18
brew1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfgnt16 View Post
What I did was disable the system altogether. They key is disconnecting the AHLM control unit from the bottom of the passenger's side headlight housing; you'll have to remove the grill and lower the front fascia a bit to get the headlight out. Make sure you disconnect the battery, working with HIDs and any module that interfaces with the CAN bus shouldn't have any power going to them. Once you remove the headlight assembly, flip it over and you'll find a metal cover about 4 inches by 3 inches on the bottom. Remove the screws and the metal cover, then lift the control module out of it's housing, taking note of the rubber sealing grommet that water seals the bottom of the headlight assembly. Disconnect the wiring harness from the module, and throw some heat wrap or electrical tape around it. Put the module back in place making sure the seal is in properly and put everything back together. Align the headlights using the white manual adjustment screw at the top of the housing and you're all set. Now you have a "normal" set of headlights without the auto leveling.

Just so everyone knows, I've been running this way for two weeks and haven't had any codes or any other behavior from having the AHLM disconnected. I realize this isn't a fix, but at least my headlights shine straight ahead and aren't blinding drivers in front of me, or pointing down at the ground five feet away. Come warmer weather I'll probably reconnect the AHLM and have the dealer swap out the system since I'm still under warranty. Considering the snow has come, I'd like to keep the Challenger in the garage for the rest of the season, leaving me with nothing but the Jeep for a DD.

I'm considering following the above procedure on my 2008 GC Overland and was wondering if after manually adjusting the low beams, did you still have properly functioning high beams?

Thanks~Mark
brew1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #19
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

The headlights on my 08 WL Limited CRD were pointed at the ground too. I found the adjusters for aiming (on mine an allen key on top of each headlight assembly). Found a nice level parking lot with a convenient wall and reaimed the headlights. No problems since. High beams working properly too.
Unread 11-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #20
brew1

Disabling self leveling headlight motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08CanuckCRD View Post
The headlights on my 08 WL Limited CRD were pointed at the ground too. I found the adjusters for aiming (on mine an allen key on top of each headlight assembly). Found a nice level parking lot with a convenient wall and reaimed the headlights. No problems since. High beams working properly too.
Ya tried the manual adjustment with the allen wrench, it worked for a while but then it was back to the low beams pointing too low. I purchased a new passenger headlight assembly due to a turkey strike resulting in a cracked lense. I will be disable the AHLM per the instructions posted above when I install the new assembly and then readjust the units manually.

For me, manually adjusting the headlights with the allen head wrench is preferable to pissing away money every other year for either a new AHLM or new sensors. Will probably also be a good time to upgrade the DS1 HID bulbs to 4800K or 5000K bulbs.

I have a 2004 Audi with the self leveling headlight feature and the same problem. Fortunately, the self leveling motors were on a separate fuse and all I had to do was pull the fuse to disable the system and then manually adjust the headlights. Too bad Jeep didn't have the engineering sense to place the headlight motors on their own fuse.

Wish me luck.

Mark
Unread 11-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #21
MildThunder

I just put new strut/springs on my front end. Never had a headlamp issue until now. The ride height appears to not have changed, but it must be throwing something off. Now my lights are pointing low, and really not stabilizing. Do you think unlplugging the battery would reset the adjustment?
MildThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #22
brew1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildThunder View Post
I just put new strut/springs on my front end. Never had a headlamp issue until now. The ride height appears to not have changed, but it must be throwing something off. Now my lights are pointing low, and really not stabilizing. Do you think unlplugging the battery would reset the adjustment?
Go for it and let us know.

I think headlight issues are inevitable for all GC owners with the self leveling headlight system. There are just too many sensors and electronics associated with the system to expect any long term reliability. Its unfortunate the engineers did not build in an easy to utilize manual overide.

Just my $.02.
Unread 11-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #23
michiganmike
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmike View Post
I read on another Forum, a suggestion to disconnect the battery for ten minutes or more. I tried that and it seemed to work, but the next day the lights are still low.....I can drive with the high beams on , no one notices.
I dread taking it to any Dealer with the question " Do you have any experience working on HID lighting systems and automatic headlight leveling?"
I got tired of night driving almost blind with the low beams and almost blinding anyone with the high beams. Since Fall/Winter has arrived and more driving in the dark , I gritted my teeth and took it in to my local Dealer, Henkel Chrysler Jeep Dodge. The scanned for codes/ Code B1681 and B1682 for rear headlamp level circuit performance. Replaced rear headlamp level Sensor and calibrated AHLM and Aimed the Lamps.
Sensor HE 08037155, FP Number 55079006-AD $144.00 Labor $178.20
in case anyone needs the information.
Yes, they work GREAT now !
will tow the new one behind the Motorhome.
michiganmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.