Automatic Headlight Leveling System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Automatic Headlight Leveling System

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

Automatic Headlight Leveling System

Hello everyone,

New to the WK threads as I'm coming over from the WJ. I just bought a 2009 WK Limited and have been having some issues with the HIDs and the auto leveling system. First off, it seems as if I can never get the headlights aligned properly, as the edges of the light seems jagged. Also, the auto leveling system always seems to be pointing to the extreme down position, making it hard to see those dark Upstate NY roads, or to an extreme up position, blinding the poor drivers in front of me.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I've done a few searches and it seems like this system is a bit of a hassle. Biggest issue I have though is that I can't seem to properly align the headlamps. Any help is much appreciated and I'm glad to have joined the WK club!

Unread 11-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
xjtrailrider

This happened to me on my 09 Hemi Commander while under warranty. They replaced the computer that controls the headlights. It took the dealer a week to find where the engineers put the computer. The FSM says the ECU is behind the left headlight bucket, they found it integrated into the right bucket. The right headlight unit was replaced with a new one and I was told that the one unit was $2500 and that if I ever rear end someone the two headlight units alone will total the Jeep!

Good luck, I'm sure the WK is somewhat different than the XK but I doubt the parts are any cheaper. That was 3.5 years ago and they still work fine.
xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

Thank you. If I had known that this system was so expensive and troublesome I would have tried to find a Hemi Limited without the Xenon headlights. I'm guessing there's no way of swapping in two normal halogen headlight units considering the different wiring patterns and extra sensors...
Unread 11-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
caulk04
2008 WK 

I'll trade you lights, lol. Impossible to diagnose/fix something like that over the internet, but I'd find a way and be happy to have HIDs.
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
xjtrailrider

I will say that once you drive a car with HID's, all other lights suck! I have only found LED's to be close, everything else is like two candles in front of your Jeep.

My factory HIDS on my 09 Hemi Limited XK

Unread 11-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

Agreed, the HIDs, when working properly, are incredible! A friend of mine put aftermarket HIDs in his 2003 Ram 2300 and they look amazing; then again he doesn't have the auto leveling system. It seems as if the leveling system in my WK is behaving now, but I still have the problem of the HID beam having jagged edges which is quite annoying. I had a buddy look at it and even he said it was odd how the lines looked up against a wall and even at the point where the light beams terminate down the road. I've played around with the vertical alignment and seem to have found a sweet spot where I'm not blinding anyone (except for lower vehicles) but still can't get rid of those jagged edges. I'm at a loss right now, lol.
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #7
xjtrailrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfgnt16 View Post
Agreed, the HIDs, when working properly, are incredible! A friend of mine put aftermarket HIDs in his 2003 Ram 2300 and they look amazing; then again he doesn't have the auto leveling system. It seems as if the leveling system in my WK is behaving now, but I still have the problem of the HID beam having jagged edges which is quite annoying. I had a buddy look at it and even he said it was odd how the lines looked up against a wall and even at the point where the light beams terminate down the road. I've played around with the vertical alignment and seem to have found a sweet spot where I'm not blinding anyone (except for lower vehicles) but still can't get rid of those jagged edges. I'm at a loss right now, lol.
My right light, when projected towards a wall with the Jeep say 10' from the wall, is about 2" lower than the left. Not really enough to bother me.
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider View Post
My right light, when projected towards a wall with the Jeep say 10' from the wall, is about 2" lower than the left. Not really enough to bother me.
I'm guessing that's just the nature of the housing design and the HID beams. I can live with that.
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

After doing some reading I found that the sensors which control the headlight pitch are located near the front and rear right side springs. I found both sensors and am considering unplugging them and just placing some zipties around the harnesses to keep them from moving around. Hopefully the headlight motors will stay in one position. Has anyone done this before or know if it will throw a code? Honestly I love the HIDs but find the auto leveling to be more of an annoyance than help.
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider View Post
Mine are the same.
I think they are trying to keep the drivers side light from blinding oncoming drivers, the other side is shinning on road side so it can b higher.

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
GoGadgetWK
2010 WK 

I have the pointing down problem also. I tried using the scan tool to recalibrate, but didn't do any good. I just took a 2K trip to Illinois and backand it's a real safety concern for me. My being able to see deer ahead has been greatly reduced. I found the sensors and thinking about disconnecting them as well. Want to try moving the rods in and out to see how they adjust.
-AFE stage 2 with grey filter-BFG TA KO 245/75R17-MB Gunner5 chrome 17"Rims 5.5 BKspce/25mm offset-Forks/Springs of 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Lift-Fabricated rear factory shock extensions-Custom made 1.5" rear bump stop spacers-Thule slide out Ski/Snowboard rack-Warn XD9000 winch with 2" hitch receiver-Fabricated front hitch receiver-5Warn offroad lights W/Fabricated removable lightbar
GoGadgetWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

I tried getting the wiring harnesses off the sensors, but they sure are difficult to remove. It really seems as if the sensors don't work properly when they're wet. Otherwise the headlights have been acting normal.
Unread 11-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

My passenger side light doesn't always adjust. It seems like when it is warm (parked in a garage) it's normal, but when it's colder outside, it stays in the down position and doesn't drop down and then back up when the ignition starts.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
michiganmike
2008 WK 

I wanted to add to this Thread, my 2008 WK with HID, when first started, headlights appear to level out normally , then go down extremely.....I can "almost" drive with high beams on without bothering anyone.
After reading above comments, I realized that I think it started when the temperature dropped below 35 degrees, although I do have it in a garage. I will follow this Thread , curious about a resolution......I Know ! I'll replace my headlights with 4 old Cibie Super Oscars that I used to have on my Van in the '70's, I'll just have to aim them VERY carefully. jokin'
will tow the new one behind the Motorhome.
michiganmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

What I did was disable the system altogether. They key is disconnecting the AHLM control unit from the bottom of the passenger's side headlight housing; you'll have to remove the grill and lower the front fascia a bit to get the headlight out. Make sure you disconnect the battery, working with HIDs and any module that interfaces with the CAN bus shouldn't have any power going to them. Once you remove the headlight assembly, flip it over and you'll find a metal cover about 4 inches by 3 inches on the bottom. Remove the screws and the metal cover, then lift the control module out of it's housing, taking note of the rubber sealing grommet that water seals the bottom of the headlight assembly. Disconnect the wiring harness from the module, and throw some heat wrap or electrical tape around it. Put the module back in place making sure the seal is in properly and put everything back together. Align the headlights using the white manual adjustment screw at the top of the housing and you're all set. Now you have a "normal" set of headlights without the auto leveling.

Just so everyone knows, I've been running this way for two weeks and haven't had any codes or any other behavior from having the AHLM disconnected. I realize this isn't a fix, but at least my headlights shine straight ahead and aren't blinding drivers in front of me, or pointing down at the ground five feet away. Come warmer weather I'll probably reconnect the AHLM and have the dealer swap out the system since I'm still under warranty. Considering the snow has come, I'd like to keep the Challenger in the garage for the rest of the season, leaving me with nothing but the Jeep for a DD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.