Auto window being goofy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Auto window being goofy

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Auto window being goofy

When I do that auto-up on my passenger window, sometimes it will stop right at the very top and come back down and stop about halfway. If I do it again it will go up for good. It doesn't do it every time, but it's getting more and more frequent (but that could be because with the warm weather I'm rolling my windows down more).

Black WK Club #134
clemsonscj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
hunterjax
2006 WK 

same thing happens with my passenger window, but very infrequently. My driver side won't even go up with the auto-up, I have to hold it all the way up.

At one point I had reset my driver-seating 1 and 2 settings and both problems went away for a while, but eventually came back.
hunterjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

If I can't get it figured out we'll just blame it on the N-23 recall
Black WK Club #134
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
jjt250
2007 WK 

Try putting it all the way to the top and then holding the button there for ~10 seconds or so, maybe more. I had the same problem and I discovered you can reset the windows by doing this. It might take a few tries.
Unread 04-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Try putting it all the way to the top and then holding the button there for ~10 seconds or so, maybe more. I had the same problem and I discovered you can reset the windows by doing this. It might take a few tries.
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Black WK Club #134
Unread 04-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
brntrbbr
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonscj View Post
When I do that auto-up on my passenger window, sometimes it will stop right at the very top and come back down and stop about halfway. If I do it again it will go up for good. It doesn't do it every time, but it's getting more and more frequent (but that could be because with the warm weather I'm rolling my windows down more).
I have the exact same issue! Thought it was my imaginary friend playing with the buttons... Let me know if you figure this one out please : )
Unread 04-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Pyroman_28
2006 WK 

It does that when the window motor detects resistance, so as not to burn up the window motor or break something. I've had it happen to me every now and again after I installed my in channel vent visors. When that happens I just put the window up without using the auto feature and it works fine.
Unread 05-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman_28 View Post
It does that when the window motor detects resistance, so as not to burn up the window motor or break something. I've had it happen to me every now and again after I installed my in channel vent visors. When that happens I just put the window up without using the auto feature and it works fine.
Lol I realize there are solutions like manually making the window go up. But the whole point of auto windows is...well...auto windows. I'd rather them function properly rather than having to settle for alternatives.
Black WK Club #134
Unread 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
bassgenie
2006 WK 

My Pass Side auto up does the same thing in my 06.
bassgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
Pyroman_28
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonscj View Post
Lol I realize there are solutions like manually making the window go up. But the whole point of auto windows is...well...auto windows. I'd rather them function properly rather than having to settle for alternatives.
My point wasn't to bypass it, it was that there is probably something putting excess strain on the motor and you should probably check it out.
Unread 05-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman_28 View Post
My point wasn't to bypass it, it was that there is probably something putting excess strain on the motor and you should probably check it out.
I can understand the vent thing though. But mine will stop before it gets to the top. It's weird I don't get it. I tried the window reset thing mentioned earlier and it hasn't helped. Oh well.
Black WK Club #134

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.