Auto Headlights and Wipers Not Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Auto Headlights and Wipers Not Working

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 11-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
fred99x
2008 WK 

Auto Headlights and Wipers Not Working

08 GC. Had a new aftermarket windshield installed a couple months ago after the suppler indicated the new windshield would work with the auto system of the vehicle. Worked fine until now. Both the healights and the wipers do not funciton properly all of a sudden. Is there any way to determine if the windshield is at fault or if something gave out in the vehicle. I'm pretty sure if I go to the dealership, they will blame the windshield and if I go to the windshield vendor, they will indicate it's not the windshield.

fred99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Muddy4DSM

Did they stop functioning as soon as the windshield was installed or did they work for a while before they stopped?

I'd check the fuses first of all, and double check to make sure the auto functions are both still selected, may have gotten turned off with the removal of the windshield. I've heard that disconnecting the battery for a while (20 min or so) can help resolve some of these type of issues.
Muddy4DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
JOSHMAN00
2007 XK Commander 

When I had to replace my windshield a month back they specifically asked me if it had the rain sensing wiper feature cause the windshield had the sensor in it. I got the one with the sensor so it would be the same as stock and they told me at the local glass shop I "may" need to have it reflashed at the dealer once it was installed. It seems like a 50/50 shot of it working or it has to go to the dealer for a re-flash to match them up or something. I was told the dealer would charge anywhere from $45-100 to do this and if I chose not to then the rain sense feature would not work (obviously) but also the automatic headlights would not work either since the two are connected.

Luckily with mine it all worked when I got it back so I never had to but I would maybe call the local dealer and tell them you had a new windshield installed and need to have the new rain sensor in the glass re-linked or re-learded to the jeep. Hope this helps!
JOSHMAN00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
clbailey
2005 WK 

The auto light feature isn't ran off the windshield, its ran off the sensor inside the cabin IIRC.
clbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
fred99x
2008 WK 

Everything worked fine for almost two months. The wife first noticed that the high beams no longer activated on their own. Then it rained and the wipers would not delay wipe although plenty of rain on the windshield. The headlights and wipers work on manual settings except for the wiper delay feature.
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
trax95008
Web Wheeler
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbailey
The auto light feature isn't ran off the windshield, its ran off the sensor inside the cabin IIRC.
I think he means the auto high beam
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
fred99x
2008 WK 

Apparently my vehicle has the Smartbeam Headlight Dimming System which has a demo mode which when activiated will test the electronics and circuitry. What I didn't know was that during normal operation:
1. Must be going over 20 mph to enable the system (providing the control lever is set to A)
2. High beams gradually go from off to on and will gradually go from on to off when required.
3. If on coming traffic suddenly appear, the high beams will immediately go to low beam

To activate the demo mode:
1. vehicle not running.
2. control lever to A
3. press and hold the on/off buttion on the windshield mirror.
4. start the vehicle.
5. continue to hold the on/off button until the demo starts (headlights go through changes, low to high, etc)
6. on/off button can now be released. The demo will go through 3 cycles of ramping the high beam up (on) and then off. The high beam indicator will indicate according.

If this all works, then the system should be functional. In my case, the demo worked perfectly. Doing the demo in the garage, it was easy to see the headlight changes
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
clbailey
2005 WK 

I guess thats another option added in 08, my GC doesnt have this feature.
clbailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.