Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Apparently my vehicle has the Smartbeam Headlight Dimming System which has a demo mode which when activiated will test the electronics and circuitry. What I didn't know was that during normal operation:
1. Must be going over 20 mph to enable the system (providing the control lever is set to A)
2. High beams gradually go from off to on and will gradually go from on to off when required.
3. If on coming traffic suddenly appear, the high beams will immediately go to low beam
To activate the demo mode:
1. vehicle not running.
2. control lever to A
3. press and hold the on/off buttion on the windshield mirror.
4. start the vehicle.
5. continue to hold the on/off button until the demo starts (headlights go through changes, low to high, etc)
6. on/off button can now be released. The demo will go through 3 cycles of ramping the high beam up (on) and then off. The high beam indicator will indicate according.
If this all works, then the system should be functional. In my case, the demo worked perfectly. Doing the demo in the garage, it was easy to see the headlight changes