Audio Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Audio Help

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
JohnMT17
2006 WK 

Audio Help

Hi Guys,

New to the forum so I am stoked. Not one to be on forums as a lot of people heckle, so I expect it but:

Just bought an '06 Grand Cherokee with super low mileage, however, it needs a new amp. There has been debate weather the speakers had built in amps, or the amp was located behind the quarter panel in the back...which it was.

So, with that said, I am looking for a Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo amp. I have called about 20 places in my area with no luck, and new ran me way more than I want to spend. Any direction here would be appreciated.

Also, I am selling my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic.

Thanks.

- John

JohnMT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
fingaz
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMT17 View Post
Hi Guys,

New to the forum so I am stoked. Not one to be on forums as a lot of people heckle, so I expect it but:

Just bought an '06 Grand Cherokee with super low mileage, however, it needs a new amp. There has been debate weather the speakers had built in amps, or the amp was located behind the quarter panel in the back...which it was.

So, with that said, I am looking for a Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo amp. I have called about 20 places in my area with no luck, and new ran me way more than I want to spend. Any direction here would be appreciated.

Also, I am selling my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic.

Thanks.

- John
John - Welcome to the Forum, hope you enjoy your new WK.

What kind of stereo/head unit do you have and do you have the BA system or Kicker?

And do you want to install an aftermarket amp, or do you want to just get a new stock amp?

For a replacement amp, you can go to the Dealer or look online. I am sure you can find one on ebay or amazon.

But, personally, I would go for an aftermarket amp. It would prob cost less and you may get better sound or could get better, more powerful speakers. My speaker system is sketchy at times (original owner messed with it and now I have to fix it!) and I am looking to replace the AMP with an aftermarket amp in the next few months.

If you want to install an aftermarket Amp, there is a device called a C2A-CHY23 that you can get. Its a plug and play device that connects to the back of the head unit and then you can take the C2A-CHY23 wires and run them back to the new amp. It includes RCA outputs and a remote wire to turn the amp on. Then you run the 12v+ and negative wires and then connect the speakers to the amp via speaker wire.

That may be an option for you.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights | Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit In -- To Do: Install Uniden CB, Rock lights
fingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

The only thing I could think of would be to pull it from a totaled jeep. Or you could get an aftermarket head unit and speakers which will sound better and have better options. I understand if you are going to keep it stock.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
JohnMT17
2006 WK 

I am not sure what the head unit is, BA I am assuming is Boston Audio. In either case, it's the stock unit and I am not sure.

As I wasn't looking for this to be an issue, I really don't have the overhead to totally re-do my sound system unless I can get an after market amp and just have someone else install it. I guess ideally, I am looking for a used one which I cannot find anywhere, not even ebay to keep my cost low. I run an blue-tooth FM transmitter now, so It's not like I have amazing sound quality to begin with. I just don't want my left side to cut out anymore.

Thanks for the help so far.
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
fingaz
2009 WK 

My apologies. The BA system is the Boston Acoustics system.

This site may help you: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_radios.htm

And it looks as though your 2006 has Amp Part # 5064118AF

Search Google for that part # and you will get some hits.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights | Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit In -- To Do: Install Uniden CB, Rock lights
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
JohnMT17
2006 WK 

Fingaz,

My amp part # is Amp Part # 05064118AJ...I have seen a lot of amps kicking about from chargers and stuff...so I am wondering what the difference is.
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Knowing which head unit you have would help determine which system you have, and ultimately which amp you need. Look on the face of the radio and find the 3 digit radio model and report back
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
fingaz
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMT17 View Post
Fingaz,

My amp part # is Amp Part # 05064118AJ...I have seen a lot of amps kicking about from chargers and stuff...so I am wondering what the difference is.
Goin off what it says on wkjeeps.com, it looks as though that is the updated one for the 2007 Jeep. I don't know if there is a difference between all the different part #'s. hmm...
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
JohnMT17
2006 WK 

It has the REF model number.

Here is all of the information I have. I would love to just find a used amp as I don't have the money for an overhaul. I know Mopar has a Kicker one that is supposed to work, but ideally I am on a budget.
photo-2.jpg   photo-1.jpg  
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

usually the last letter of a Mopar part number (like AF vs. AJ) is a superseded part, but as long as the base part matches you should be OK (often the only change is the supplier).

I have not explored this with electronics, though, so Your Mileage May Vary.

...tom
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
JohnMT17
2006 WK 

Hey everyone, thanks for the help! Now I just need to sell my Cherokee...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.