Atf4+ & atf+4 transfer case NV245 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Atf4+ & atf+4 transfer case NV245

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Reply
Unread 04-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
Penguin_Jeep
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 55
Atf4+ & atf+4 transfer case NV245

I've looked everywhere to find the difference between ATF4+ and ATF+4.

Looking to change my tc oil, UK dealership wants 25 a quart that's
about $40 US - and thats just to buy it.

Hence after crawling through WK Jeeps it says ATF4+ however allpar say ATF+4.
Any idea

Penguin_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
ianrmz250
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hertfordshire England UK
Posts: 174
The NV 245 TC requires specific Mopar NV 245/247/249 fluid from the dealer or Ebay (26). Do not use ATF+4 fluid this is for the autobox .The slip additive is added to the rear axle not the transfer case.
Look in the Sticky Tech write ups/DIY write ups on this forum for more info , its very helpfull.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
modernblueWK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gunnison, CO
Posts: 1,840
Yeah, i think the 2005 spec'd atf4 for the transfer case. 2006+ said nv245 fluid.
__________________
2008 WK 4.7 245/70-17 Grabber AT2 - Magnflow - JBA - G2 - Steel Armadillo - MLL's
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Penguin_Jeep
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrmz250 View Post
The NV 245 TC requires specific Mopar NV 245/247/249 fluid from the dealer or Ebay (26). Do not use ATF+4 fluid this is for the autobox .The slip additive is added to the rear axle not the transfer case.
Look in the Sticky Tech write ups/DIY write ups on this forum for more info , its very helpfull.
I will, any idea if there a difference between the ATF4+ and ATF+4 tho?
Penguin_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
colinzj
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,412
I don't know about the UK, but over here "ATF4+" is a generic universal knock-off.

Any ATF+4 should actually say it's ATF+4 (which is trademarked) on it.
__________________
2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L Dead, sold, and rolling again
colinzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
yzjwk
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lac du Bonnet, manitoba, Can
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_Jeep View Post
I've looked everywhere to find the difference between ATF4+ and ATF+4.

Looking to change my tc oil, UK dealership wants 25 a quart that's
about $40 US - and thats just to buy it.

Hence after crawling through WK Jeeps it says ATF4+ however allpar say ATF+4.
Any idea
The 05 owners manual INCORRECTLY stated that ATF+4 was to be used in all transfer cases . ATF+4 should only be used in the QT I NV140 transfer case and not your NV245 . The Factory service manual states the correct NV245 fluid .

I have never heard of atf4+ specifically , but i do know that in North America ATF+4 is a specific blend of fluid and specification list and is found under a multitude of manufacturers .
All ATF+4 fluids should have " Type 9602 " written on the bottle .

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#TRANS

hope that helps
__________________
Proud owner : 05 WK Ltd 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2 Cam'd & Decked
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
Penguin_Jeep
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
The 05 owners manual INCORRECTLY stated that ATF+4 was to be used in all transfer cases . ATF+4 should only be used in the QT I NV140 transfer case and not your NV245 . The Factory service manual states the correct NV245 fluid .

I have never heard of atf4+ specifically , but i do know that in North America ATF+4 is a specific blend of fluid and specification list and is found under a multitude of manufacturers .
All ATF+4 fluids should have " Type 9602 " written on the bottle .

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#TRANS

hope that helps
OK I have a this in the 4.55 Litre/UK Gallon size.

Please have a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.carlube.co.uk/transmissio...smission-fluid

Thanks all
Penguin_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
caulk04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greenville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 736
Pass.

I don't have any interest in using a 'universal' ATF for my applications that call for ATF+4.

Furthermore, why are you still looking for it? Your NV245 DOES NOT TAKE THIS FLUID.
__________________
Tint, Superchips, SRT intake tube, Gibson catback, catch can. One hardcore DD/kid hauler...yeah.
caulk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
Penguin_Jeep
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Pass.

I don't have any interest in using a 'universal' ATF for my applications that call for ATF+4.

Furthermore, why are you still looking for it? Your NV245 DOES NOT TAKE THIS FLUID.
http://www.moparinternational.com/as..._19Dec2014.pdf
Penguin_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Penguin_Jeep
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
The 05 owners manual INCORRECTLY stated that ATF+4 was to be used in all transfer cases . ATF+4 should only be used in the QT I NV140 transfer case and not your NV245 . The Factory service manual states the correct NV245 fluid .

I have never heard of atf4+ specifically , but i do know that in North America ATF+4 is a specific blend of fluid and specification list and is found under a multitude of manufacturers .
All ATF+4 fluids should have " Type 9602 " written on the bottle .

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#TRANS

hope that helps
Does the 2005 Model 3.0 CRD have the NV245 or have I got that wrong?

Wondering where the spec info comes from for Type 9602
Penguin_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
ianrmz250
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hertfordshire England UK
Posts: 174
If you have Quadra-drive 2 you will have the NV245 transfer case which uses Mopar NV 245 / 247 /249 fluid. ATF+4 is used in the N140 which is the Quadra Trac 1 transfer case.
I am fairly sure all GC imported to the UK have Quadra-drive 2.
To be 100% sure I would check the identity disc (red and silver) mounted on the transfer case in between the case itself and the actuator motor.
I would also bite the bullet and purchase the correct Mopar fluid , expensive yes but cheaper than a worn trans case.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
caulk04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greenville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 736
Quadra-Drive II and Quadra-Trac II BOTH use the NV245 and it DOES take the specific fluid for 245/247/249 cases.

Simple check, do you have low range?

Yes? You have the NV245 case.

No? You have the NV140.
__________________
Tint, Superchips, SRT intake tube, Gibson catback, catch can. One hardcore DD/kid hauler...yeah.
caulk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
Penguin_Jeep
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrmz250 View Post
If you have Quadra-drive 2 you will have the NV245 transfer case which uses Mopar NV 245 / 247 /249 fluid. ATF+4 is used in the N140 which is the Quadra Trac 1 transfer case.
I am fairly sure all GC imported to the UK have Quadra-drive 2.
To be 100% sure I would check the identity disc (red and silver) mounted on the transfer case in between the case itself and the actuator motor.
I would also bite the bullet and purchase the correct Mopar fluid , expensive yes but cheaper than a worn trans case.
I was considering AMSOIL, any thoughts on this for the NV245 tc?
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=ATHQT-EA

If not, I think you're right ianrmz250 regarding getting Mopar fluid.
Penguin_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
modernblueWK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gunnison, CO
Posts: 1,840
Skip the snake oil... I mean amsoil. Get the mopar stuff.
__________________
2008 WK 4.7 245/70-17 Grabber AT2 - Magnflow - JBA - G2 - Steel Armadillo - MLL's
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.