Anyone ever lower their WK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Anyone ever lower their WK?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
XJtoWJ

Anyone ever lower their WK?

Ive owned xj'x and wj's with all the lifts and goodies for off road and wont be doing any off roading with this wk. So i was wondering if anyone lowered theirs for just looks alone? its such a nice smooth ride and i think it would look so bad a:s lowered a little with some really nice rims and street tires.

XJtoWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Several of us have lowered ours. If I want to go wheeling, I'll use my 90 Grand Waggie. You're right, it does look cool lowered, but if you're in big snow country, don't put the SRT front bumper on it. If we get more than about 4 in. of snow on the ground, it makes for a good plow. Fortunately, the road dept. keeps our roads cleared most of the time. Here's my Grand Waggie and WK.
p1010629.jpg

p1011194-755-x-565-.jpg

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

That does look awesome lowered!
I'm probably one of the few that has no interest in lifting my Jeep. I'm fine with it at stock height and mostly want the 4x4 for snow use.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
rollindom

2005 WK 

Hope I'm not hijacking but I'm glad this was brought up. I also would like to see some non SRT-WKs brought down. I'm paralyzed and wanted another Jeep as a DD. I have an XJ that's lifted when I want to play in the dirt. I am trying to decide if I should go with a stock SRT setup or use an Eibach spring kit. 90grand how did you lower yours? How's ride and tire wear?
rollindom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
XJtoWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Several of us have lowered ours. If I want to go wheeling, I'll use my 90 Grand Waggie. You're right, it does look cool lowered, but if you're in big snow country, don't put the SRT front bumper on it. If we get more than about 4 in. of snow on the ground, it makes for a good plow. Fortunately, the road dept. keeps our roads cleared most of the time. Here's my Grand Waggie and WK.
dude, i love it. just the look im goin for. yeah im not about to replace with the srt bumper and im in ill so snow is definitely an issue. when you lowered that, what did you do? i was wondering if just cutting a coil off would do the trick without messing everything up. im talking just lowering it a couple inches, especially in the rear. how much is that lowered? that thing looks bad a:s. can you post some more pics of that sweet lookin ride? would love to see a straight on side shot
Unread 05-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
XJtoWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollindom View Post
Hope I'm not hijacking but I'm glad this was brought up. I also would like to see some non SRT-WKs brought down. I'm paralyzed and wanted another Jeep as a DD. I have an XJ that's lifted when I want to play in the dirt. I am trying to decide if I should go with a stock SRT setup or use an Eibach spring kit. 90grand how did you lower yours? How's ride and tire wear?
yer not hijacking. and im not familiar with the srt setup although they are some beautiful rides. im not thinking about the whole srt look, i just want it lowered a little bit, like even height back and front without changing all too many parts
Unread 05-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
jtodaro
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm running Eibach Pro-Kit Springs for the SRT8 (so they are slightly lower than the ones for the standard WK). I'm also running Bilstein 4600 (HD) WK shocks (these supposedly raise you ~3/8"). I will probably be swapping these shocks/struts out next year or so, for either the correct SRT8 Bilstein shocks (expensive) or Koni FSDs, as the 4600s are a little too firm and cause an ever so slightly bouncy condition at times (nothing that's not manageable, but I know the ride can be improved on). Wheels are 20x9 SRT8 Reproductions with 275/45zr20 tires.

2005 Grand Cherokee Limited WK - Black, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.73
Black WK Club Member #122 | HEMI Club Member #87
jtodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
jtodaro
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Also note. 90grandoneer is sporting the SRT8 Front Bumper (and maybe side skirts & rear bumper), so it will look slightly different.

Unread 05-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

I ran mine lowered for a year and then put the stock front springs back in, but kept the rear SRT8's. I loved the way it handled with the SRT8 springs, but I drive a little to aggressive sometimes and just bottomed out too much. I did have the Eibach SRT8 lowering springs in for a short time, but the lack of bump travel was to much for me. It handled great, but was beating the crap out of my bump stops. That's why I am building it the way I am. Keeping it low and the ability to lower it if I need to, but increasing the bump travel so it can handle the ruff stuff.

Been trying to confince my Dad to get an SRT8 WK. He wants a new sports car, but likes the room of an SUV. I told him to test drive one and we could easily put some good coilovers on it, a supercharger, and he would have one hell of a beast.

Here's mine with SRT8 springs with stock wheels and tires.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Anyone have the SRT8 with the launch button? Saw one the other day in Daytona.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
XJtoWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig View Post
I ran mine lowered for a year and then put the stock front springs back in, but kept the rear SRT8's. I loved the way it handled with the SRT8 springs, but I drive a little to aggressive sometimes and just bottomed out too much. I did have the Eibach SRT8 lowering springs in for a short time, but the lack of bump travel was to much for me. It handled great, but was beating the crap out of my bump stops. That's why I am building it the way I am. Keeping it low and the ability to lower it if I need to, but increasing the bump travel so it can handle the ruff stuff.

Been trying to confince my Dad to get an SRT8 WK. He wants a new sports car, but likes the room of an SUV. I told him to test drive one and we could easily put some good coilovers on it, a supercharger, and he would have one hell of a beast.

Here's mine with SRT8 springs with stock wheels and tires.
nice lookin jeeps guys. and what did those srt springs cost you? im wonderin if i could just cut a coil or 2 out and get the effect im looking for. i dont want to mess up the ride. i was thinking 1 coil out of the front and 2 out of the rear. i have a feeling i might have to use smaller shocks in the back if i do.
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
rollindom

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJtoWJ
nice lookin jeeps guys. and what did those srt springs cost you? im wonderin if i could just cut a coil or 2 out and get the effect im looking for. i dont want to mess up the ride. i was thinking 1 coil out of the front and 2 out of the rear. i have a feeling i might have to use smaller shocks in the back if i do.
Don't cut the springs! The Jeep is so heavy you will likely blow out your shocks and struts, bottom out all the time, and feel like a pogo stick. I've seen the Eibach pro kit for like $300. I've seen the stock springs that come on the SRT sell for about $100-$150 online. I didn't realize they would work on the regular WK struts, but jtodaro above used the springs for an SRT on his WK Bilstein 4600's, which is good news to me because I just replaced all four corners on my WK with the 4600's. I plan on running the 22" SRT or Viper reps with in all likelihood the Eibach springs. At the very least I want the rear end down because it looks so much taller in the rear than the front.

image-2992785378.jpg
rollindom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #13
jtodaro
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Do not cut your springs (or heat them). You will destroy your springs and the shocks/struts will soon follow.

The Eibach Pro-Kit for the SRT8 (it's about an inch lower drop than the Pro-Kit for the standard WK) was $254.80 from Summit Racing (they price match, and I found the lowest price on the web, and was able to get them to match it).

Not to rep another forum, but JG has an amazing breakdown of suspension components in a thread...

The complete (05-10) WK Grand Cherokee suspension thread

Unread 05-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #14
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Do not cut your springs, the SRT8 springs have a higher spring rate than the stock WK springs. You will just bottom out more and hurt things. I found my SRT8 springs on a SRT8 forum in the classifieds used. I think I paid like $150 shipped. I used the stock WK shocks with the SRT8 springs for a while and never had any problems. I even put the Eibach SRT8 lowering springs on for a short time with the stock shocks, but the stock shocks are way to soft for that setup. Need Bilsteins or bust. SRT8's or 4600's. I might even be selling my SRT8 springs shortly. They are sitting in the garage and wondering if I am ever going to use them again. I won't ever need the fronts as I put on FOX coilovers so I just need to figure if I need the rears. I sold the Eibach lowering fronts to a guy and still have the rears. I have way to many components sitting around. With the CRD it sat level with SRT8 fronts and Eibach lowering SRT8's in the rear.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJtoWJ View Post
dude, i love it. just the look im goin for. yeah im not about to replace with the srt bumper and im in ill so snow is definitely an issue. when you lowered that, what did you do? i was wondering if just cutting a coil off would do the trick without messing everything up. im talking just lowering it a couple inches, especially in the rear. how much is that lowered? that thing looks bad a:s. can you post some more pics of that sweet lookin ride? would love to see a straight on side shot
As said, do not cut the coils. The SRT spring rates are different (firmer), which makes the handling about 1000 times better than stock.....as long as you do the SRT sways too. IMO, SRT lowered/swayed makes it about as close to sports car handling as you can get with a nearly 5000 lb. SUV. It gets even a little better when you put a lower aspect ratio tire on it. I am totally delighted with how mine now handles and corners. My particular joy is powering out of curves when driving mountain roads. The hopped up Hemi really loves to run hard.

I used the Eibach SRT lowering kit (lowered it almost 2 in.) and Eibach SRT sway bars (IIRC, total ~$600) with Bilsteins all the way around. I did the Bilsteins first and that made a big difference by itself. The Eibach kit does ride a little more firmly than stock but, after all it's a performance SUV, not a luxury sedan. By contrast, I have a Hemi LX Dodge Magnum that is modded almost exactly like my WK, except I just did the SRT sways and not the springs. I (actually the wife) didn't want the harsher ride on it. Now the ride is the same, but it does the mountain driving quite a bit better than it did stock. My recommendation to anyone that chooses to modify their WK suspension is to do both front and rear (not just front or rear) the way you choose....springs and sways, or just springs, or just sways. I am not a believer of putting mismatched front/rear components together. Not saying it won't work but, you just won't get the full benefit, and may cause the weaker setup to fail/wear prematurely......kinda like the weakest link on the chain.

Also, if you don't want to go low, but want a better handling WK, you can just add the stock SRT components and your ride height won't change that much, and you'll still get the benefit of superior handling, compared to the stock WK. On the SRT bumpers....they really look cool on a lowered WK but, as I said earlier, it's not at all practical if you're located in big snow country and use it as a daily driver like I do. Lowering with a stock front bumper or keeping the stock SRT height with an SRT front bumper would probably work fine though. The only real "plow" problem I've had was on I-80 in Nevada in February. I got to plow snow for about 30 miles, but it didn't harm anything....except the fuel economy.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.