any suggestion before going up north - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > any suggestion before going up north

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Reply
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
pacman13
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 32
any suggestion before going up north

i'm going to New Jersey for the next 7 weeks, i was wondering if i need to make any adjustment to my jeep grand cherokee limited 4.7L V8 before i go since its colder up there. thanks for any input.

pacman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
badutahboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: utah
Posts: 18
with the advent of EFI, you shouldn't need to do anything to your car to make it run right in different environments...

However, if you're driving it, make sure it's ready for the road trip... oil change, air filter, etc....

Also, if you have any thoughts that your battery is going out, have it tested before you leave... Cold makes your battery work harder, and if it's on it's last legs, you'll probably get left stranded in the cold...

Outside of that.. just make sure you've got a warm coat.. lol
badutahboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
pacman13
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 32
lol... thanks a lot for the advice. live in florida all my life and this is the first time going up north so just make sure i do everything right.
pacman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
TonyVideo
Senior Member
 
TonyVideo's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rushville, IN
Posts: 750
Take it easy on the snow and ice until you get the hang of coming to a stop and starting. I downshift in the snow which works out pretty well and use my brakes when needed and to tell the guy behind me that I am slowing down. I upshift as well on snow and let the rpm's go a little higher than normal when just in drive. This way when I lift off the gas it will start slowing down immediately before using the brakes. This works great in heavy traffic when you see those tail lights up in front of you come on quickly and maybe you were following a little too close for comfort. I don't over rev the engine.
__________________
Tony
2008 GC 3.0L CRD Limited, ProVent Installed, Clear Bra, Scangauge
1999 GC 4.0L Larado
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
badutahboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: utah
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVideo View Post
Take it easy on the snow and ice until you get the hang of coming to a stop and starting. I downshift in the snow which works out pretty well and use my brakes when needed and to tell the guy behind me that I am slowing down. I upshift as well on snow and let the rpm's go a little higher than normal when just in drive. This way when I lift off the gas it will start slowing down immediately before using the brakes. This works great in heavy traffic when you see those tail lights up in front of you come on quickly and maybe you were following a little too close for comfort. I don't over rev the engine.
Great advice Tony...

Pacman, remember, 4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel stopping power.. You'll have more traction than most cars when you're driving, but you can't stop any faster if you need to... so take it nice and slow in the snow.

If you don't have 4wd, be extra careful... Rear wheel drive can be a PITA for someone who's new to driving in snow and ice...
badutahboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
TonyVideo
Senior Member
 
TonyVideo's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rushville, IN
Posts: 750
I do miss taking it out of 4 wheel drive and do doughnuts and just play around in a big parking lot. My WK QD-II has so much control you can't get it do anything. It is not the same with ESP off. I still have my 1999 WJ to use but my wife drives it now. You want traction, WE have traction.
__________________
Tony
2008 GC 3.0L CRD Limited, ProVent Installed, Clear Bra, Scangauge
1999 GC 4.0L Larado
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
johnniebravo
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bristow, VA
Posts: 835
the colder air will lower your tire pressures, be prepared to air them up to 33lbs when you get there as they will likely register as 29-31lbs.

I put nitrogen in my tires and it has helped a lot with the temp fluctuation.
__________________
2008 CRD GC
johnniebravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
sabre364
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 497
Make sure you have actual windshield washer fluid (the blue stuff good till -20 is the most common) not WATER (yes I have seen that from southern vehicles) or diluted fluid. Spray it out and refill. Our reservoir is huge, > 1.5 gallons so be prepared to spray for a long time.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
PGCI
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 415
If the temps are cold, put some HEAT in your fuel tank. It will get rid of all the water in the fuel, which will prevent it from freezing up.
__________________
2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited, RR XHD front stubby, Ramsey 8,000lb. winch, Husky Floor Liners, Cobra CB, 5' Firestick Antenna.

2007 Rock Red XK
PGCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
sabre364
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGCI View Post
If the temps are cold, put some HEAT in your fuel tank. It will get rid of all the water in the fuel, which will prevent it from freezing up.
Also goes by dry gas.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
TonyVideo
Senior Member
 
TonyVideo's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rushville, IN
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman13 View Post
i'm going to New Jersey for the next 7 weeks, i was wondering if i need to make any adjustment to my jeep grand cherokee limited 4.7L V8 before i go since its colder up there. thanks for any input.
Well I would assume you go to New Jersey just in time for all the snow and ice. This would make an exciting first time for you. Tell us how it went. Nothing like hitting a major snow storm the first few days you are there.
__________________
Tony
2008 GC 3.0L CRD Limited, ProVent Installed, Clear Bra, Scangauge
1999 GC 4.0L Larado
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
BurmaJack
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 489
Hi I would respectfully disagree with manually shifting (especially downshifting) your WK (or any vehicle)on snowy or icy roads. this is very dangerous!

Take it from a canadian who drives on ice for nearly 6 months a year. In slippery conditions, downshifting can cause your tires to lose traction on the road and could lead to a wreck. Ask anyone who has driven an 18 wheeler on ice: throw on the jake brake and you're asking for trouble.

Your WK is superbly equipped to deal with icy conditions. Just drive on ice like you would walk on ice. And with the WK, never pump the brakes. apply steady pressure, and if the anti-lock brakes start to "grumble" and you're not stopping soon enough, don't be afraid to stand on that break pedal and steer it at the same time!

Stay warm
__________________
'08.5 WK Laredo CRD North Edition; QTII;
Modern Blue Pearl; GDE HOT Tune

Blue WK Club Member #2
BurmaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
scootr29
Web Wheeler
 
scootr29's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 2,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre364 View Post
Make sure you have actual windshield washer fluid (the blue stuff good till -20 is the most common) not WATER (yes I have seen that from southern vehicles) or diluted fluid. Spray it out and refill. Our reservoir is huge, > 1.5 gallons so be prepared to spray for a long time.
This is Very Important as the location of the reservoir is known to freeze...found that out one night driving on the OH Turnpike from SC to MI. Not fun...
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #14
Drudgery1971
Member
 
Drudgery1971's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurmaJack View Post
Hi I would respectfully disagree with manually shifting (especially downshifting) your WK (or any vehicle)on snowy or icy roads. this is very dangerous!

Take it from a canadian who drives on ice for nearly 6 months a year. In slippery conditions, downshifting can cause your tires to lose traction on the road and could lead to a wreck. Ask anyone who has driven an 18 wheeler on ice: throw on the jake brake and you're asking for trouble.

Your WK is superbly equipped to debual with icy conditions. Just drive on ice like you would walk on ice. And with the WK, never pump the brakes. apply steady pressure, and if the anti-lock brakes start to "grumble" and you're not stopping soon enough, don't be id to stand on that break pedal and steer it at the same time!

Stay warm
Couldn't agree more. Find and empty parking lot that has snow/ice cover as soon as you get into the cold..... and test yourself out before you have to actually make a real driving decision...... any of the WK 4x4's launch like a rocket even in snow/ice, but stopping ...........well ...it's the same as a Chevette. The only other thing is make sure you have GOOD wiper blades and LOTS of fluid (1 extra gal + full tank)..... the reserve is Huge like mentioned but you will go through a ton of it if the roads are wet/slushy and nothing much worse than a long drive with a salt/dirt/crust/glared up window at night with snow/ice and it will seem like it happens every 5 minutes. GOOD luck.
Drudgery1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
NDSU_Bison
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 683
Don't forget to make sure your headlights and taillights are clear of snow if you are parked outside.

Pretend there is a raw egg on the accelerator to maintain control while accelerating.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.