Any insight on a U1417 code? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Any insight on a U1417 code?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
kiloniner
2006 WK 

Any insight on a U1417 code?

Hey guys. I'm hoping someone can help me shed some light on this issue that just popped up this morning.

I hopped in the Jeep this morning to leave and the ABS and ESP lights came, along with a message to service the 4x4 system. I pulled the code with the key trick and also with Torque and it gave me a:

U1417 "Implausible Left Wheel Distance Signal Received"

I'm also getting some kind of clunk at low speed and it feels like the brakes are randomly engaging at low speed. It isn't a hard braking, but enough for me to notice. I've visually inspected the sensor wires and nothing looks out of place or worn. I don't have a jack to check for play on the wheels yet.

What I'm wondering is, should I be concentrating on changing out the ABS wheel sensors or does this sound like a wheel bearing? Possibly something else?

Also, is this okay to drive until this weekend? I have no other transportation and I'm only driving about 10 miles per day.

Thanks

kiloniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Just the wheel speed sensor, 10min job to change it out, once it sets the code active again it will trigger the lights and turn off the ESC and ABS thats all, can still drive it no probs. If you can find a better code reader at a store etc it can tell you front or back left side sensor is faulty.
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
kiloniner
2006 WK 

Thanks for the reply Valpacer. Glad to know that driving it won't be a concern.

Since I don't have access to a better scanner, I'll just change them both out and hope that fixes it.

Thanks again.
Unread 07-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
kiloniner
2006 WK 

I just thought I would update this thread for anyone else that comes across this issue.

I changed the front left sensor out which didn't fix anything. Then I changed the rear left sensor and I could tell the wheel wasn't locking up anymore. After driving for a few minutes, all warning lights went out and now everything is back to normal.

I wish the code would of told me front or rear, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have a new sensor in the front.
Unread 07-06-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Good to hear mate! The more expensive readers will tell you which one and more detail but for the cost of a sensor it's not bad to replace them anyway!
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
jeepdrivermn

I have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK, 108K miles, I have been getting the BAS ESP ABS lights stay on steadily for a year now. I would love to hear any more ideas/solutions people have to the U1417 codes - "implausible left wheel distance signal". Here's what has been done thus far:

1. Chrysler mechanics analyze, scan and have my jeep for a week... call the 'expert' at Chrysler and still no answers, they completely wire directly from the left rear abs sensor to the computer. Had the lights off for a day, then they came back on.
2. Replaced both rear abs sensors, checked for cracked wires(no cracks)
3. Replaced driver side front wheel hub and sensor
4. Replaced clock spring
5. After every attempt to apply the fixes, the codes where reset using Superchips FLASHPAQ 3872

Any suggestions/solutions appreciated?
jeepdrivermn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.