Antifreeze question. HOAT vs. NON-HOAT type - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Antifreeze question. HOAT vs. NON-HOAT type

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 12-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Antifreeze question. HOAT vs. NON-HOAT type

Users manual for the 5.7 calls for HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) type antifreeze. (labeled as G05 for Zerex/Valvoline brand)

Bought my GC used and I've heard that when the HOAT type is mixed with non-HOAT type antifreeze that the two will react and coagulate and curdle.

Since I bought used there is a small chance that the PO put a non-HOAT type in (assuming that it's been swapped out before). My question is for those who still have the original fluid from the dealer in. Is it ORANGE? I suspect mine is original and it's ORANGE. GC is 05

Thanks in advance...

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My XK has orange in it, I bought it with 48k miles so I assume it's OEM also.. But I don't know for sure.
Unread 12-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
magneticred
2008 WK 

The color of the coolant isn't diagnostic of the type. My 08 Jeep (original coolant) has a pink color. My Crossfire (also HOAT) has aqua-blue coolant. The Zerex G05 is yellow.
Just to be safe, I would flush the cooling system with distilled water and be sure that the coolant in your Jeep is HOAT. It would be money well spent to know that you are using the correct coolant and to then know when to replace it again.
magneticred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I realize that there are many different colors. My point with that was to find original 05ish GC's with orange. Kind of insight as to whether or not it's original. Ideally an original 05.

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Mine, 05 WK with original coolant... Its Orange!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
colinzj
2006 WK 

Mopar coolant (factory and parts counter) is dyed kind of an orangey-red-pink. Valvoline officially calls it "orange."

My '05-built '06 was orange. Slightly less now after flushing it out for fresh.
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
CmmdrDan

ive never done an AF flush. when done do you have the engine running or do you just open up the pep-cock and let it run out while pouring the water through?
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
kzolly
2005 KJ Liberty 

I've done quite a few DIY cooling systems flushes in the past 20 years, so here's what I suggest:

1. Get a back flush kit from any auto parts supply store;
2. Get the right coolant - Jeeps apparently require HOAT-type antifreeze, so buy the Mopar stuff from a dealer or get Zerex G05 from NAPA (online or at the store);
3. Get a coolant system cleaner if needed. If the wrong coolant was used or you aren't certain what you have in your system now, doing a thorough cleaning and back flush before adding the new coolant will allow you to start with a clean slate. If you're seeing gunk and crud floating in the current coolant, you should consider replacing all coolant hoses (If you doo an Internet search on the topic you'll see why this may be necessary).
4. Do the back first flush following the directions that come with the kit. If you opt to clean the system first, you'll have to follow the directions for using the cleaner which usually require you leave it in for 3 hours of operation.
5. Once flush is complete, add new coolant. If using undiluted coolant, you'll have to do a 50/50 mix using distilled water (Walmart is a good place to pick up a few gallons)

Tips - If you use regular tap water to do the system flush you may want to pick up a few gallons of distilled water to do a final system flush with this to enusre there are no mineral deposits left behind.

Make sure you dispose of the used coolant properly.
kzolly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
Mopar coolant (factory and parts counter) is dyed kind of an orangey-red-pink. Valvoline officially calls it "orange."

My '05-built '06 was orange. Slightly less now after flushing it out for fresh.
Just bought HOAT at the dealer. It's the MOPAR orange stuff that meets the MS-XXXX Chrysler spec. Needed it to top off my overflow tank.

Interesting point is that their gallon jug is NOT diluted to 50% anti-freeze/water. It was $18, but equivalent to 2 gallons of the pre-mixed stuff.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Make sure you dilute it to 50% with DISTILLED water, not just plain old tap water.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
EMVirostek

Here's a funny story...

I was lazy a few weeks ago and decided to go get an oil change at a place near my house...they give you a free carwash with the oil change so I went for it. Anyway, I'm sitting in the lobby and the mech calls me in to go over the car. He said everything looks good, except that my coolant was orange. I told him it's supposed to be orange...it's always been orange. He asks "Are you sure? It's supposed to be green." I looked at him and told him to finish up and give me my car back.

WTF
EMVirostek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

That's why you always watch anyone that touches your vehicle, unless they know Jeeps as well as you and all the forum members do. Doubt there are too many of them around.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Yep did the dumb thing and topped off my WK with NON-HOAT ( 1/2- 1 gallon).... so I guess that means I get to do a fluid flush this weekend?????
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
Jaashua
2005 WK 

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=816

Quote:
Ford and Chrysler vehicles. Here again, it's a no-brainer. Both companies have identified problems with DexCool, so use something else. G-05 is available in the aftermarket, so that's your choice for extended life on vehicles from those makers. However, if your second coolant is conventional American, that's fine. The recommended service interval is shorter, but if the coolant level is maintained and the motorist is not a high-mileage driver, it can serve beyond two years. In fact, Ford long recommended four-year intervals with conventional American coolant.
Pretty old article however...

I have green stuff. Does that mean I have the wrong stuff. I've had it for two years with no problems.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
robpp

just dont mix them together.

if you have all green i would just deal with it.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.