Another Turbo Underflow Error - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
GrandSteveO

Another Turbo Underflow Error

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Just turned 400k

I have a turbo underflow issue. I have tried the 4.7k resistor fix which seemed to work for about a month now the issue is back. replaced the resistor again but did not help. Looked online and saw the turbo actuator could be bad, took it apart and all seems fine and it works when engine rev'ed etc. The Limp mode happens around 80k or 50mph but I can quickly turn off/on key and the lightning bolt still flashes but I regain power. at low speeds it does not seem to happen. At time the jeep hesitates at 50mph like there is a heavy load but once past it is fine. Any thoughts on what it could be? I have heard if the Swirl motor is really bad it sends a weird signal somehow even if it has the fix mod. any help would be appreciated. I have had in the shop and over $600 later they have no clue.

I also have every glow plug saying there is an error in the circuit

My codes:
P0299 turbo underfloor error
P0674 glow plug
P0402 exhaust gas flow detection
P0676 glow plug 6
P0675 glow plug 5
P0672 glow plug 2
P0671 glow plug 1
P0335 crankshaft position
P0674 cylinder 4 glow plug circuit
P0676 cycling 6 glow plug
P0675 glow plug circuit5
P0672 glow plug circuit 2
P0671 glow plug 1
P0299 turbo super charger underfloor

So lots going on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Donuts31

I've got the same issue. If your turbo actuator has never been rebuilt, it should be sent out. The actuator initially fails intermittently and randomly before it quits altogether. Did you have full range of movement on the the turbo VNT rod that is connected to the actuator?

If a turbo actuator doesn't fix it (and doesn't fix my issue) then I will then replace the EGR throttle valve next. I figure I can throw parts at the Jeep cheaper than any dealership can and I have better knowledge then most Jeep techs do anywhere. I also installed a new resister just in case for the swirl motor. The previous resistor has been in there for about 45k miles and it could be damaged from heat exposure.

I also did get the crankcase position sensor code and replaced it. These go bad often and are easy to replace.

GOod luck with your issue and I'll let you know how mine works out. Hopefully we can both figure out what is going on.

Drew
post #3 of 14 Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

I am having same issue, just popped up after rebuilding alternator. Wondering if ti is better to just buy a new Turbo and actuator complete in case the turbo is going to let go in the near future anyway. http://www.idparts.com/garrett-turbo...gt-p-2786.html

post #4 of 14 Old 06-16-2017, 09:33 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omsok View Post
I am having same issue, just popped up after rebuilding alternator. Wondering if ti is better to just buy a new Turbo and actuator complete in case the turbo is going to let go in the near future anyway. http://www.idparts.com/garrett-turbo...gt-p-2786.html
How many miles on your turbo? Mine had a chewed up impeller from debris, but was otherwise fine at 194k miles. I installed a rebuilt one that looked as good as new from XSBoost.com about 3k miles ago when I replaced the oil cooler seals.
They also sell rebuilt actuators.

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
197,000+ miles!
post #5 of 14 Old 06-17-2017, 12:04 PM
stev0
2007 XK Commander 

If the swirl goes bad, what sort of codes could I be looking at? If I had the swirl disabled in the tune (gde) would I still get codes ?

07 XK CRD - (GDE Tuned)
post #6 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 08:31 AM
omsok

2007 WK 

Actuator rebuild vs Turbo Replacement

At the moment, only 86'000 miles, 140'000 kms. I know it is not really a lot, but just thinking ahead. There is a guy here that will rebuild for about $200, so for that price I guess it is worth it. http://jeepturboactuator.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
How many miles on your turbo? Mine had a chewed up impeller from debris, but was otherwise fine at 194k miles. I installed a rebuilt one that looked as good as new from XSBoost.com about 3k miles ago when I replaced the oil cooler seals.
They also sell rebuilt actuators.
Attached Images

post #7 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 09:21 AM
stev0
2007 XK Commander 

My xk has the same sort of miles on {145k km} and am di have the same issue. I've just swapped the actuator for a used one and it worked for about a day. I have a feeling it needs to be soldered as my original had the contacts broken. No idea why they break... This one lasted about a day.

07 XK CRD - (GDE Tuned)
post #8 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 07:04 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
At the moment, only 86'000 miles, 140'000 kms. I know it is not really a lot, but just thinking ahead. There is a guy here that will rebuild for about $200, so for that price I guess it is worth it. http://jeepturboactuator.com/
I have seen that rebuilder before. Doesn't sound too bad of a deal, since XSBoost is now charging $600 for a rebuilt one.

That intake pipe set up have you have is sweet! Do you have a parts list of what you used to assemble it, or was it custom bent, etc?

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
197,000+ miles!
post #9 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM
08rubie1

Quote:
Tell me more about ur intake!
post #10 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

Hi.
My code was P1270 when my swirl motor packed up.
Brit.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 07:33 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

Air Intake mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rubie1 View Post
Tell me more about ur intake!
I didn't do a build thread for it, but basically figured out what I would need, went to a Turbo tuning shop and bought the pieces. I took the air intake pipe with me, and had a list of what I thought would work.

In retrospect I should have just bought it all online. I was trying to give business to a local shop, and expected a little service. Drove 90 minutes and the guy in charge passed me off to boy wonder who ended up to giving me exactly what I needed and then gave me two different styles of pipe clamps. One is 10 mm and one is 11.

When you blow a turbo boost pipe (I did turbo resonator delete at same time) on the highway and want to put it back on quickly on a hot engine, you do not want to be wondering if that is the 10 mm or 11 mm socket. Anyway, I think I have photos, so will put up a writeup on my blog.

http://www.engineeredobsolescence.com/

Started thread here:
http://www.engineeredobsolescence.co...2&preview=true

Will add to it.

I just added a few photos I had handy, but will explain what they mean in next week or so on blog. The air intake change was meant to coincide with oil catch can mod, but let me tell you from my experience this mod may be more of a PITA than it is a benefit. Recently I pulled my Intercooler, drained it, washed it with hot water and oil cutting soap and got almost nothing out of it. After 85'000 miles and nine years, less than an ounce of oil tells me not to worry. The small Mishimoto meant for V8 Chevy is useless on the Diesel.

Photo of 33 degree bent pipe with stepped end is CB engineering photo, but I just bought a pipe pre bent to that angle, and rolled my own beads with vice grips and washers or muffler clamp, can't remember. Anyway will do writeup.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
WK Resonator Pipe.jpg  
Attached Images

post #12 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 07:38 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

Turbo Actuator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
I have seen that rebuilder before. Doesn't sound too bad of a deal, since XSBoost is now charging $600 for a rebuilt one.

That intake pipe set up have you have is sweet! Do you have a parts list of what you used to assemble it, or was it custom bent, etc?
There is a guy in Montreal selling German rebuilt for $400 CAD. Not quite sure what the deal is.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-moteurs/laval...ationFlag=true
post #13 of 14 Old 08-07-2017, 01:56 PM
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

people should just build an intake kit like that!
i cant roll my own beads haha

2008 CRD // GDE Eco // DPF delete // 3" intercooler // OME HD // 265 dirtytracs etc.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 04:46 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

Rolling beads is easy. You just need a miffler clamp, vice and hammer, or vice grips and two big washers.

Tags
limp mode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.