Another tire size question.... SIA - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By azzkicker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Raffish
2005 WK 

Another tire size question.... SIA

So I have looked at all 375 posts on the tire and wheel combo page(s)...

I just installed OME HD all around.

I found a set of BF Goodrich 265/70/17 in decent condition for $200...

Based on what others run these will fit...

Pretty sure I'll have to pinch weld (np) and get wheel spacers..

The question is what is the smallest spacer I can get away with?

I apologize in advance if this particular question has been answered, I couldn't find it.

Also can I keep my stock spare or will it blow my diff if I use different size tires even for a bit?

I'm sure everyone is a little sick of tire questions but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, CherryPop Red, OME HD, DIY CC, 230xxxkms
15 Compass 2.4L, 15xxxkms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 07:37 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

I can tell you that you will cause immediate issues if you put a spare tire on that's a different diameter than the other 3 wheels. First, your computer will detect the smaller wheel turning faster (more revs per distance), and will believe it is spinning. The traction control will apply brakes to slow the "spinning" wheel and start ratcheting in the diff clutches to get more power to the wheels that have grip. Since no matter what it does, it will believe the wheel is still spinning, it will get as aggressive as it can to try solving the problem. Your brakes will get ruined pretty quick, and I'm not sure how long the clutches will put up with that.

Even if you turn off the traction control, the clutches will still do their thing. Even if you somehow disabled the clutch pack (not sure that's possible, but...), you have the basic problem that spider gears and gear lube are not designed to have repetitive and extreme speed mismatches. You're wearing this fast, making a bubbly foam out of your oil, and you can cook things in there pretty quick, even with an open diff (you do not have an open diff).

In other words, you need your spare to be the same size, or don't use it even for a 10 mile run to the tire store. If you just had no option, like you're going to die in the Mojave desert if you don't put the smaller spare on and limp along, here's what you do: use a measuring tape or cleverly trimmed stick to measure the distance from the hub center to the ground (the radius, but only AT the ground, not the rest of the tire), then lower your other tire pressures until all 4 have the same hub to ground distance. Then, the radii will match, as will the rotational velocity. Since you're not perfect, I'd still turn off traction control and go suitably slow for having flat tires.

Your wheel spacer question I could not begin to answer. I don't like wheel spacers, and I don't trust them, but lots of people seem to have good luck with them. I think you should get a wheel with the offset you need instead, but as stated other people seem to like them.

If you actually meant to ask about spring spacers, that's a lift question, and a different name (they get mixed up a lot, and the answer matters so it's good to clarify).

If you offroad pretty aggressively, I'd suggest you go generous on the pinch weld mod, trimming the fender liner, and move the TPMS sensors up. I've had to revisit mine a few times now, even though in theory I shouldn't be hitting with 33" tires, a superlift, and bilstein 5100s at +0.75". I just got done moving the TMPS sensors, after breaking one by catching it with the tire.
Raffish likes this.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #3 of 11 Old 09-20-2017, 08:10 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzkicker View Post
Your wheel spacer question I could not begin to answer. I don't like wheel spacers, and I don't trust them, but lots of people seem to have good luck with them. I think you should get a wheel with the offset you need instead, but as stated other people seem to like them.
I feel the same. I will never use wheel/hub spacers on a vehicle. EVER.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,

post #4 of 11 Old 09-20-2017, 01:51 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

You need a small spacer to clear the upper ball joint stud, but really not much at all. The larger the spacer, the more interference you'll create with the PW and bumper.

Go with 1 or 1 1/4".

Have a matching spare, it's just a better idea all around. I like to use my matching spare when I rotate tires...then they're all the SAME.

In a pinch though, unplug one of the wheel speed sensors and you won't have to worry about burning up clutches or brakes. It's not a long term or long trip solution, but rather a safe way home if you don't have a matching spare.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #5 of 11 Old 09-20-2017, 02:29 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
I feel the same. I will never use wheel/hub spacers on a vehicle. EVER.
Why not? So long as they're of decent quality (ie not a mystery brand) I don't see what the problem is. Lots of people have put lots of miles on lots of vehicles without a problem.

2007 WK CRD QDII OME MD OMG WTF BBQ
post #6 of 11 Old 09-20-2017, 02:56 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Why not? So long as they're of decent quality (ie not a mystery brand) I don't see what the problem is. Lots of people have put lots of miles on lots of vehicles without a problem.
While that may be true, I know more people who have sheared a spacer lug than an OEM. The price seems to high for "quality" when you can buy a quality offset rim for little more.

Not to mention I have terrible luck. Haha

post #7 of 11 Old 09-20-2017, 03:22 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Where do you find quality rims for that cheap? Bolt on spacers run ~$50 each, around here decent rims are nowhere near that cheap. Admittedly I can be picky about the looks of rims, I think most aftermarket truck/SUV ones look like garbage so finding something that looks good and is the offset I want and isn't stupidly expensive is nearly impossible.

2007 WK CRD QDII OME MD OMG WTF BBQ
post #8 of 11 Old 09-20-2017, 03:29 PM
moonvan
2008 WK 

i ran 1" spacers on my last jeep for 40k miles and never had a problem. as long as you get decent hubcentic ones you should be fine. I put another set on my new WK and i haven't had any issues with it either.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD
post #9 of 11 Old 09-20-2017, 06:47 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Where do you find quality rims for that cheap? Bolt on spacers run ~$50 each, around here decent rims are nowhere near that cheap. Admittedly I can be picky about the looks of rims, I think most aftermarket truck/SUV ones look like garbage so finding something that looks good and is the offset I want and isn't stupidly expensive is nearly impossible.
That "cheap" is relative to your own mind. I agree that most aftermarket rims are trash. I didn't even particularly like the ones I got, but I'm a bargain hunter and, with tremendous trading skills, got them for free. They grew on me quickly though because I kinda liked them before. However, I also think most stock rims are ugly, as well. So sticking ugly stock rims out further isn't my style. I don't like spacers, or trust them. But that's my opinion. If you like them, use them. I will not.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-21-2017, 01:43 AM
David20000
2006 WK 

Woo first post

My 2006 came with 1.5 inch spacers all round, which I hated. I took them off the rear and it runs fine (this is with ET 45 Wrangler wheels and 265/70 x 17).

On the front I now use a 20 mm (about three quarter inch) spacer and it fits fine. I could probably have gone down to 15 mm, but it would be tight.

Obviously, the ET (off set) is the critical thing.

David
post #11 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 08:40 AM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

on my '07 I run 1/4" spacers on the front just so the JK wheels will clear the caliper. I do use one open end lug nut on each wheel just as a visual check. they show about 1/8" of the stud sticking out of the nut. so far in about 45k ive had no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.