Another Sunroof Leak Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Another Sunroof Leak Thread

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Another Sunroof Leak Thread

I know this gets regular attention. I searched and have done the two main solutions. Cutting the outlet at the floorboard to open it up and realigning through the vent process based on instructions seen on this forum. I get leaking down the A pillar and nowhere else. Any other solutions? Could the tubes have come loose from the tray at the top? How can I get there to check it out? I can't see it when I remove the A pillar covers. Of course I didn't spend a lot of time looking into doing that... It does happen on both sides...

Thanks in advance.

Unread 12-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
atarijedi
2008 WK 

In order to check to see if the top of the tube has somehow come off, you would need to lower the roof liner, or at least just part of it on the drivers side. I'm not sure how you do that, but it's probably here on the forum somewhere.

That said, if it were me doing all this, I would just replace the corrugated tube with some smooth silicone tubing of the same inner diameter. I plan on doing it this spring.

I had a leak a few weeks ago, turned out the tube was just plugged up with junk, had it blown out at a mechanic shop, took no time at all.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
ASTMedic

Have you tried the realigning of the glass by resetting with the sunroof switch?
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Shafer57
2006 WK 

If you look inside the front of the sunroof (from the roof with it open) you'll see two drain holes on the right and left. Confirm they're clear by pouring water down and making sure it comes out of the bottom of the truck.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic
Have you tried the realigning of the glass by resetting with the sunroof switch?
Yes. I tried describing that in my original post but it may not have been clear. I may do it again since I'm not 100% sure I did it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57
If you look inside the front of the sunroof (from the roof with it open) you'll see two drain holes on the right and left. Confirm they're clear by pouring water down and making sure it comes out of the bottom of the truck.
The drain holes are clear and so are the tubes. When I cut the bottom drains I blew in the tubes and they were both clear. I poured water and it all came out fine. After doing that it rained hard and leaked again and that was when I thought about the realigning. Since I thought the sunroof may be blocking the drains when closed? Originally, I assumed if the alignment was off, I would be getting leaks from areas other than just the A-pillar, but I did the realignment trick anyway and still it leaks out the A pillars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarijedi
In order to check to see if the top of the tube has somehow come off, you would need to lower the roof liner, or at least just part of it on the drivers side. I'm not sure how you do that, but it's probably here on the forum somewhere. That said, if it were me doing all this, I would just replace the corrugated tube with some smooth silicone tubing of the same inner diameter. I plan on doing it this spring. I had a leak a few weeks ago, turned out the tube was just plugged up with junk, had it blown out at a mechanic shop, took no time at all.
A different type of tube makes sense. Smooth wall would reduce the friction and allow for more water to pass through more quickly and would also reduce the chances of a clog...

If anyone has checked the connection of the tube to the drain pan and know what has to be removed, etc, I would appreciate it.
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Is this recent? Just during the winter? When we had snowfall here in VA a few weeks ago I had water leaking through just my driver side A pillar as well. Realigned the sun roof, checked for clogged drain holes...nothing. It never happened before. Turns out letting water or snow sit on my roof is a big no no. As the water drained overnight, they would freeze in the drain holes and start leaking through my A pillar. I no longer let snow sit on my roof longer than an hour.
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora
Is this recent? Just during the winter? When we had snowfall here in VA a few weeks ago I had water leaking through just my driver side A pillar as well. Realigned the sun roof, checked for clogged drain holes...nothing. It never happened before. Turns out letting water or snow sit on my roof is a big no no. As the water drained overnight, they would freeze in the drain holes and start leaking through my A pillar. I no longer let snow sit on my roof longer than an hour.
Hmm. I have only noticed it in only cold weather, but recently, it continued despite the temps not being below freezing... The first time it happened, I chalked it up to the drain holes getting clogged with ice, but this most recent time it wasn't that cold. I'll pay closer attention to that.

Thanks.
Unread 12-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Anon155
2005 WK 

Are you sure it is in fact your sunroof causing the leak? I have known several jeep windshields to leak as well. My 99 GC had a leaky seal at the top that leaked down through my a-pillars to my floor where I ended up having a pool of water under the carpet at one point. It leaked anytime it rained or ice was around until I had it replaced.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon155
Are you sure it is in fact your sunroof causing the leak? I have known several jeep windshields to leak as well. My 99 GC had a leaky seal at the top that leaked down through my a-pillars to my floor where I ended up having a pool of water under the carpet at one point. It leaked anytime it rained or ice was around until I had it replaced.
I don't know. I just assumed it was the sunroof. If the windshield is leaking, wouldn't it leak all along the front, not just the a-pillar? I'll have to test that out! Thanks.
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
BonesWK
2006 WK 

How can you tell if your windshield is leaking?

I will hop into my jeep to find small streaks down the inside of my windshield that seems almost sticky. Its really weird.... though I also have a sunroof issue as well I think.
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
WK_Okie

2005 WK 

This may be off in left field, but I actually just had a service done to fix the sunroof: had it at the dealership (no charges) and on the WI-TECH, code came up for the sunroof where it was not closing completely? They ran the fix, but I had never noticed any leaks prior. I use it regularly and just had the tech go ahead and run it since I was there. Like I said, not sure if it applies to you, but might be worth checking.
WK_Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
WJFrank88
2004 WJ 

I'm having the same issue. Water leak down the drivers-side A-pillar. Tried resetting the sunroof already. I'm going to seal up around the top corner of the windshield and see what happens.

What a terrible design by Chrysler..
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
How can you tell if your windshield is leaking?

I will hop into my jeep to find small streaks down the inside of my windshield that seems almost sticky. Its really weird.... though I also have a sunroof issue as well I think.
The way we tested mine for leaks was to take the a-pillar plastics off on the inside and have someone poor cups of colored water (we used red food dye) slowly down the sunroof drains and around the top and sides of the windshield. It takes some patience, but water will always find the easiest route to go through. In no time we could see trails of colored water and where it was coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK_Okie View Post
This may be off in left field, but I actually just had a service done to fix the sunroof: had it at the dealership (no charges) and on the WI-TECH, code came up for the sunroof where it was not closing completely? They ran the fix, but I had never noticed any leaks prior. I use it regularly and just had the tech go ahead and run it since I was there. Like I said, not sure if it applies to you, but might be worth checking.
In my WK, I had a problem with the sunroof recalibration. It would leave the sunroof open a 1/4" or less in the back. I went through an automatic carwash without knowing I had the problem, and had a shower of water came poring in. After a few days of ripping out my entire interior and drying it out. I took it to a sunroof repair shop, and he said there was no fix for Chrysler sunroof motors once they lose calibration and I would need an all new motor. He tried to recalibrate it according to the manual, but that didn't work. Here's another way that seems to work great if you're having the problem, no trip to the dealer needed:

This is from a TSB from 2005. Steps 1 through 6 concern reprogramming the sunroof module with Starscan (deleted). You CAN do steps 7 through 12 in your driveway right now without steps 1-6.

7. Place the ignition switch in RUN position.
8. Close all of the doors.

9. Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).

10. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

11. If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

12. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times.

The sunroof is now in customer mode, with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.