Another headache. Possible head gasket issue? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BDar
2006 WK 

Possible head gasket issue?

Hey guys. So while checking my transmission fluid again, I noticed that there was a slow yet steady stream of bubbles coming up from the front wall of the coolant reservoir. Looked at the oil and all seems clear there but these bubbles and my recent stalling issues have me hypersensitive to anything that shouldn't be happening. I'll post a video of what I saw if that helps. What should I be looking for with this happening?

I know the coolant is pretty nasty and I definitely need to flush it soon. Also ignore the noise in the video as that's the township snowblower clearing the road by my house.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-27-2016, 03:26 PM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

My first thought given the age of the vehicle is that you have an air leak in the cooling system and not a head gasket issue. For a head gasket issue to show up in the cooling system, coolant would be leaking down into the oil pan and when you drain the oil and investigate you will find water in the bottom of the oil. Also, it does not appear that you are losing coolant inside of the engine because for that to happen you would be losing a noticeable amount of coolant.

If you are going to a mechanic, have them pressure test the cooling system to see if they can find an air leak. It is a simple test and the system should hold about 15psi for a good period of time if it is sealed. It could be a small hole in the top or side of the radiator, a worn out water pump gasket, or some other pin hole in the coolant system.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2016, 05:00 AM
Nejeep

Sorry I was not able to see the bubbles in your video, but I will take your word for it. My eyes are not as good as they used to be .
Bubbles could be from trapped air in the cooling system if it got too low before being refilled. They should eventually stop if this is the case. You can also try venting air from the air bleed port. You obviously have a leak if you have to refill the reservoir very often.

If the bubbles are from a leaking head gasket you can test for the presence of combustion gasses in the cooling system. Most shops have a test kit to do this and I think there are DIY kits available too. A head gasket leak usually gets worse and you soon have overheating issues.

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2016, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
BDar
2006 WK 

Sorry about that! They looked way more visible on my phone but I know that won't do you guys must good haha. I will keep an eye on it to see if it slows down or goes away. It's definitely a slow stream to begin with. I did just refill the coolant and it was a little below the Add line. I haven't noticed any fluid disappearing yet so I suppose that's a good sign haha. I'll try and bleed it first and if that doesn't work I'll head back to the garage and have them do a pressure test. I'll probably just do a flush this weekend anyway either at the garage or on my own. Is it a pretty straightforward process?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-28-2016, 04:49 PM
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Our WK's have an 18 lb. cap, but the system should be checked at 15 lbs. Also, have them check the cap. As said, the system should hold the pressure for a loooonnnnnng time, but if it holds for two minutes, it should be good.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.