Another alternator died - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Another alternator died

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher CornersPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 03-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
monkey6
2009 WK 

Another alternator died

So about 2 months ago, my alternator started making a really loud noise, kind of like a supercharger whining. I replaced it and everything was fine. Well today, about 4,000 miles later, I smell something burning while driving, the alternator is making the same noise again, and the battery light on the dash came on. Luckily I only had to go another 3 miles so I got back no problems. I think its safe to say the brand new alternator is shot...

Could it be a bad PCM that's causing the alternator to die so fast? Is there any way to test that? Hopefully O'Reilly's will exchange the alternator for me, because I have to leave for a 2,500 mile trip on Wednesday.

Unread 03-09-2015, 12:40 AM   #2
modernblueWK
Web Wheeler

Could be bad luck. Remanufactured parts like alternators can be a crapshoot. Buy the middle grade instead of the cheapest one in their range.

Most parts like that come with a "lifetime warranty" replace it again and see if the next one burns up.
Blue WK club #4 Build/Adventure Thread
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
monkey6
2009 WK 

O'Reilly's exchanged the alternator no problem. Changed it out in about 20 minutes in their parking lot during my lunch break. Hopefully this one lasts a little longer than 2 months.
Unread 03-10-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Have the battery load tested. It could be bad or going bad, which will ruin alternators. Alts are supposed to maintain battery - not recharge them. If you have a situation where the alt is constantly recharging the batt then the alt will fail prematurely.

2 months?..................idk about that premature.

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.