Time for the semi informative "How to" on my headlight design
This was definitely a fun project for me, because I had never done it before. But also was a very big learning experience.
I watched what Omelet did with his, and figured it didn't look too hard. Boy was I wrong lol
I already purchased a 35 watt HID kit several months prior to this install. I kept getting flashed because of the glare caused by the HID's in the stock housings. Which is why I decided to fit projectors. I do NOT recommend just putting HID's in your stock housings! In many state's it is also illegal.
I started off by getting some aftermarket headlights off eBay for around 100 bucks.
I got the paint from automotivetouchup.com, Love their products!!!!
I ordered my H1 projectors 5000K bulbs and mini gattling gun shrouds from theretrofitsource.com
Time to get this party started!
I first opened the headlights up by heating them in an oven at 350 degrees several times for 15-20 minutes each time. I found its best to use a wide blade putty knife to open them.
I had trouble getting them to open with screw drivers like others have used. You will need to clean the rest of the butyl out of the channels that the lenses press into.
I wrapped the lenses of the headlights in saran wrap and set them off to the side for later. Once I had the headlight face removed and cleaned up, it was time to paint!
I taped off the chrome front rings first. I also took the side yellow reflectors off. I taped off the square shaped side marker towards the bottom of the reflector.
They are only held on by a couple clips.
Once I had the headlights sanded down, I put on 2-3 coats of sandable primer down first.
I sanded it after the last coat dried to get any impurities out before the color coat.
I then sprayed 3-4 coats of Dark Khaki. The color was a dead on match once it dried. After the color coats, I waited over night before I sprayed the clear coat.
I put on 4-5 coats of clear. The heaviest was the last coat to give it a glossy finish.
Before the clear coat completely dried, I carefully removed the painters tape with a razor blade.
You have to be very careful here, not to touch any of your painted surfaces with the side of your hand. Luckily, that went pretty smooth for me
The back portion of the headlight housing I decided to plastidip. It actually tuned out really well.
Plastidip has a good head tolerance so I knew it would work. I left the turn signal and high beam housings chrome.
Next I had to modify the back of the light housings so the projectors would fit correctly. All it took was a drimel sanding bit to make the tabs flat with the housing.
I originally wanted to use the gatling gun 2.0 shrouds (which are bigger than the mini's).
But I figured out after some modification to the shrouds and many calls and emails to retrofit source that the mounting for them is a pain to deal with!
The larger shrouds attach via a round ring that acts as a compression fitting. To make a long story short, this ring was made too small by their manufacturing department.
So they would not work with my projectors, at least not anytime soon. I got impatient, and had them send me the smaller shrouds instead.
Here's a pic of the larger shroud with the headlight: